DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

2 hours ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I don't see why not to be.  The hugs are immaterial to them being shitty jobbers that just happen to be fond of hugs. If C.M. Punk was skinny fat, then that makes Chuck Taylor skinny morbidly obese and Trent Beretta is a homeless fentanyl addict's Juice Robinson. 

When you made the “weenie ass” comment I was like who stole Triple H’s terrible jokes book then you referenced skinny fat and I was like nope it’s Triple H himself in all his unfunny glory. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

Speaking of Jericho and cringe...

Imagine three grown men gloating they finished a bottle of Makers Mark between them. 

More offended their discussing Load and Reload ? 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Zartan said:

When you made the “weenie ass” comment I was like who stole Triple H’s terrible jokes book then you referenced skinny fat and I was like nope it’s Triple H himself in all his unfunny glory. 

I don't even remember weenie ass being a Triple H thing.  Besides I always hated Triple H and C.M. Punk, but the former definitely did his damndest to ruin the Summer of Punk. I guess I'm not the cool guy that likes shitty indy darlings who take a break during the climax of a supposed PPV co-main event caliber match to huff each other's farts. Orange Cassidy has actually grown on me. But he had me from the moment I witnessed this. Toilet humor has its place as long as it's subtle and more importantly doesn't take place smack dab in the middle of the finish of a match. 

Granted I was never part of any crew that set up the ring for a show Chuck Taylor worked in Bucksnort, Tennessee. I'm sure it is a deeply enriching experience and gives one a sense of belonging.

Edited by FluffSnackwell

1 hour ago, FluffSnackwell said:

Maybe Shayna can be repackaged as an evil MMA clown. 

54 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

La Hija de Murder Clown

Maybe not with Shayna, but is it wrong that I totally want to see this gimmick?

• Like 1

1990 NWA substitutions, some of the ones that stick out.

NWA @ Richmond, VA - Coliseum - March 30, 1990
Doom defeated Road Warrior Hawk & Tommy Rich (sub. for Road Warrior Animal)

NWA @ Detroit, MI - Cobo Arena - May 12, 1990 (1,700)
Mike Rotunda (sub. for NWA Tag Team Champion Rick Steiner) & NWA Tag Team Champion Scott Steiner defeated Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane
NWA Tag Team Champion Rick Steiner (sub. for NWA US Champion Lex Luger, out with a staph infection) defeated NWA World Champion Ric Flair via disqualification at the 21-minute mark when Flair hit the referee

NWA @ Chicago, IL - UIC Pavilion - May 13, 1990 (2,471)
Road Warrior Animal & Mike Rotunda defeated Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane
Road Warrior Hawk (sub. for NWA US Champion Lex Luger, out with a staph infection) defeated NWA World Champion Ric Flair via disqualification at 16:20 after Flair hit the challenger with a foreign object given to him by Woman

NWA @ Columbia, SC - June 6, 1990
NWA World Champion Ric Flair vs. Ricky Morton (sub. for the Junkyard Dog, who was scheduled for an indy show in his hometown of Wadesboro, NC)

NWA @ Canton, OH – Civic Center - August 12, 1990
Robert Gibson & Brian Pillman (sub. for Ricky Morton) defeated Ivan Koloff (sub. for NWA Tag Team Champion Butch Reed) & NWA Tag Team Champion Ron Simmons

NWA @ Houston, TX - Sam Houston Coliseum - September 16, 1990 (750)
Ricky Morton & Terry Taylor (sub. for Robert Gibson) defeated Buddy Landel (sub. for NWA Tag Team Champion Ron Simmons) & NWA Tag Team Champion Butch Reed; Gibson was out injured and Simmons missed because his wife was ill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

1990 NWA substitutions, some of the ones that stick out.

1. I believe Luger came back a week later still with staph to wrestle Flair at Capital Combat '90 (RETURN OF ROBOCOP~!). I believe if Lex couldn't go, it was going to be Pillman in that spot.

2. Ouch, that Houston number. Those numbers are indicative of what happened when they tried to go west of the Mississippi River or at least outside the Mid-Atlantic/Georgia/middle and east Tennessee/Cincinnati stronghold areas.

• Like 2

I want to believe it was actually Peter Weller as Robocop at Capital Combat 1990. However Jim Cornette is a bullshitting sack of shit that has (amongst other whoppers and tall tales) attributed throwing John Matuszak through a bar window to both Harley Race and Dick Slater; so if he's the one and only source, chances are it was somebody else. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell

3 minutes ago, FluffSnackwell said:

I want to believe it was actually Peter Weller as Robocop at Capital Combat 1990. However Jim Cornette is a bullshitting sack of shit that has (amongst other whoppers and tall tales) attributed throwing John Matuszak through a bar window to both Harley Race and Dick Slater; so if he's the one and only source, chances are it was somebody else. 

Having just listened to the Grilling JR episode on that specific show, it was just some stuntman. 

39 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Ouch, that Houston number

and the next time they went to Houston, it was May 1991 when they got 1200 in the Sam Houston Coliseum for a card with El Gigante/Ric Flair, and a main event of JYD/Ron Simmons vs Butch Reed/One Man Gang in a cage.

A few days later back in 1990, they drew 580 at Dorton in Raleigh for a main event of Lex Luger/Sid. Another late 1990 crowd was 925 in Roanoke in October 1990 for a main event of Doom vs. Flair/Arn, which turned into Ron Simmons/Lex Luger vs Flair/Arn.

Also... JYD getting doublebooked and picking an indy show over WCW... which improves the WCW card as a result.

• Like 1

Shayna would be fine if she could do a southern accent.

Why can't she go back to NXT then?

Hunter talks all this shit about how there's a "plan" and that "people won't be called up with nothing to do".

It's absolute bullshit.

Gargano & Ciampa are the smart ones, constantly refusing the call.

Can't wait for Undisputed Era to get to the main roster. Two years of running through the roster in NXT and we are gonna get:

Bobby Fish losing his first name because we already have Bobby Lashley.

Roddy Strong in a comedy gimmick where he fails to lift heavy things. Bonus comedy if it's in a feud with Otis.

Kyle O'Reilly turning on the group to join the Lucha House Party. Those guys like having fun.

Adam Cole being thrown over the plexiglass by Braun Strowman. No title match, Braun just throws him around. Coz he's small.

He gets to fight Bryan/Gulak in a sweet series of 10 minute matches to open SDL before being forgotten about through.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

I’m not quoting the whole post, but regarding the Jericho / Kazarian post, Makers Mark is NOT the Whisky for listening to Load / Reload.  

Jack Daniels Apple is the Whisky to listen to Load / Reload to, a once great brand that decided to go off on a “modern” tangent with mixed results.

To keep it wrestling related, Jericho is like a 10 year old Laphroaig.  Old, expensive but a goddam treasure when you drink it in maaan!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, L_W_P said:

Hunter talks all this shit about how there's a "plan" and that "people won't be called up with nothing to do".

It's absolute bullshit.

Oh, I believe that there is a plan. It’s just that once Vince realizes that, he changes it. 

• Thanks 1

Suicide jokes and shitting on "indy darlings," there's some serious fuckin' EDGINESS in here...

The Macho Man promo talk again reminds me that Savage maybe the greatest embodiment of pro-wrestling ever, with Eddie Guerrero as a close second. 

• Thanks 2