DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

On 7/1/2020 at 8:20 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I don't know if she still does it but "Taste of Tenille" was a solid little cooking thing on YouTube. Emma's cooking.

Related to this - she had a social media post recently that seemed to indicate she (Tenille/Emma) was starting a travel channel

And since I am playing catchup - for those wonder about Shayna

Lynch was on the Bellas podcast and said that she pitched to drop her title to Baszler at WrestleMania. She said that she wanted to have a baby before 35 so she and Rollins were trying. While she actually was pregnant at Mania she didn’t know it until a couple of weeks later, but she did know they were trying and it would be best to get the title off her. WWE rejected the idea. The idea at the time was Baszler would eventually get the title and they did a finish to build for a rematch using the Money in the Bank stip because Baszler was scheduled to win that match. Vince nixed that and went with Asuka. Vince also soured on Baszler completely because he never conceptually grasped the style that an MMA fighter should use in pro wrestling and she doesn’t check his buttons when it comes to women in wrestling, so he made the call to remove her push and take her off television. This was all before Heyman was dumped. Nobody really knows the reason Heyman was dumped past the ratings were bad and a lot on the inside could see it coming, but in hindsight it appears Vince didn’t agree with Heyman on the potential of a lot of the talent he was trying to build around

You know what else people did during the Attitude Era ratings war? Flipped back and forth between both shows or watched live whichever show had the more appealing card announced. More often than not I'd watch Raw and tape the Nitro replay that came on at 11. These days I'll watch whichever show comes off as more interesting based on the match listing and watch the other the next day. It's totally unscientific but I'd wager quite a few people do something similar, or are otherwise fans of both properties and the whole ratings/popularity war is nowhere near as big a thing as people make it out to be.

• Like 4

I mostly watched Dynamite except for the end of the Women's Four-Way, but there was no way I was going to watch some weenie ass main event shit featuring the Best Friends over Io/Sasha. That was an easy decision to make.

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Like 3

Canada had that Real Good Shit where RAW was live on TSN and then Nitro was tape delayed on Tuesday on the same fucking channel. What a wild time.

Back in HIGH SCHOOL I would be the one kid that would check DDT Digest on Tuesday morning and have those hot Nitro spoliers.

• Like 4

If the combined Dynamite and NXT ratings is 1.4 million, does that mean that if NXT's TV deal hadn't happened, Dynamite would be getting over a million viewers every week?

18 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

Canada had that Real Good Shit where RAW was live on TSN and then Nitro was tape delayed on Tuesday on the same fucking channel. What a wild time.

Back in HIGH SCHOOL I would be the one kid that would check DDT Digest on Tuesday morning and have those hot Nitro spoliers.

Same.  When I was at college I would watch Raw on the Monday and Nitro on the Tuesday.  I used to go to 1wrestling.com for the Nitro results.

I hate to think the havoc I caused for the college IT team back in 97-98 with all the pop ups, adware etc on that site.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

I think it’s fair to bring up both points. Total viewers and demos to create a full picture. That full picture? Kenny may be the Omega, but Sasha is the ALPHA. All hail the Boss. Winner of the ratings war. If Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan had a baby it would be Sasha Justine Banks. 

Karl Fredricks is the ALPHA now.

41 minutes ago, Casey said:

Of course not, AEW has weenie ass workers like the Best Friends.

Not everybody relates their entire enjoyment of pro wrestling to workrate. Great in-ring psychology to lose because the dumbasses took a hug break at a pivotal point in the match. 

13 hours ago, OctopusCinema said:

I think it’s fair to bring up both points. Total viewers and demos to create a full picture. That full picture? Kenny may be the Omega, but Sasha is the ALPHA. All hail the Boss. Winner of the ratings war. If Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan had a baby it would be Sasha Justine Banks. 

Or.....or......if Barry Horowitz and Reno Riggins had babies, they would be the Best Friends. 

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

The hugs are 90% why I like Best Friends. My buds and I used to hug and I enjoy seeing hugging.

edit: Will you be my friend, @FluffSnackwell?

I don't see why not to be.  The hugs are immaterial to them being shitty jobbers that just happen to be fond of hugs. If C.M. Punk was skinny fat, then that makes Chuck Taylor skinny morbidly obese and Trent Beretta is a homeless fentanyl addict's Juice Robinson. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell
  • Thanks 1

Guest Edwin
22 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

Speaking of Jericho and cringe...

Imagine three grown men gloating they finished a bottle of Makers Mark between them.