DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

23 hours ago, EVA said:

Kind of getting off into the weeds here:  Hour-long scripted dramas are expensive to produce, and USA has decided they don’t really want to be in that business anymore.  They cancelled all but two of their ongoing dramas (Queen of the South and The Sinner, their two longest running shows and both will probably finish up with their next season), The Purge included.  It was more of a reallocation of resources/change in programming philosophy than a ratings decision.

[/TV pedantry]

In addition to that, it ties to the other point: Pro wrestling's in a perfect spot for the current TV climate, since it's a scripted series with a big cult following anyway who'll watch it, but at the same time it's still considered a sport, and thus falls under the "sports are all-important DVR-proof live programming."  This despite the fact that WWE has always had notably good +3/+5/+7 DVR ratings. 

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

I really think if, you know, the world falling apart, hadn't happened, AEW was heading towards a big breakthrough with The Match Beyond.

But then *gestures vaguely at everything"

Honestly, that makes sense, but it's almost weird it hasn't happened for Fyter Fest. If the world has fallen apart and is just rebuilt enough so that there's no limitation of wrestlers in the ring, you'd think they could put The Match Beyond on one of these two events.

2 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

Honestly, that makes sense, but it's almost weird it hasn't happened for Fyter Fest. If the world has fallen apart and is just rebuilt enough so that there's no limitation of wrestlers in the ring, you'd think they could put The Match Beyond on one of these two events.

I think that's maybe something they save for the September Labor day weekend PPV or probably another themed (probably a new one since Fight for the Fallen is already Mox/Cage) Dynamite show.

As running shows in front of full, or even partial, crowds doesn't appear to be in the cards this summer, WWE has reportedly laid out their taping schedule for the next two months which will take them through SummerSlam.

Post Wrestling reported the schedule first, noting that the original dates for August's TakeOver and SummerSlam are intact. However, SummerSlam, originally slated for Boston, MA, has a location of TBD but will likely be at the Performance Center.

July

Wednesday, July 15th: NXT that night and July 22nd
Friday, July 17th: SmackDown/205 Live for that night
Sunday, July 19th: WWE Extreme Rules
Monday, July 20th: Raw/Main Event/Raw Talk for that night and for July 27th
Tuesday, July 21st: SmackDown/205 Live for July 24th and July 31st
Wednesday, July 29th: NXT for that night and August 5th
August

Monday, August 3rd: Raw/Main Event/Raw Talk for that night and August 10th
Tuesday, August 4th: SmackDown/205 Live for August 7th and August 14th
Wednesday, August 12th: NXT for that night and August 19th
Monday, August 17th: Raw/Main Event/Raw Talk for that night, SmackDown/205 Live for August 21st
Saturday, August 22nd: NXT TakeOver
Sunday, August 23rd: WWE SummerSlam

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

Wanna know the worst part about all of this?

I enjoyed Sasha/Io more than anything on Fyter Fest.

Oh god, I feel so dirty.

Then why do you keep talking up the demos and praising AEW here? I like both companies, and like you felt that Sasha/Io was the best match on either show. The pro AEW anti NXT posts are just getting ridiculous.

• Like 2

I'm definitely willing to give NXT a chance again since one of my favorites is on top, but they really soured me when Rhea lost to Charlotte (and then Charlotte wasn't even pinned, so what's the point? Ratings). I've always said NXT has the best women's division, though. Too many talented women that I love on that roster. Dakota, Tegan, Candice, Rhea, Io, Mercedes, Mia, Shotzi, Santana... but that's legit the only thing I enjoy about NXT. Nothing involving the men does anything for me at all.

1 minute ago, MavsFan77 said:

Then why do you keep talking up the demos and praising AEW here? I like both companies, and like you felt that Sasha/Io was the best match on either show. The pro AEW anti NXT posts are just getting ridiculous.

Oh boy, wait until you see the anti-AEW posts and pro-WWE and New Japan ones! Let's not act like the only people on this board with a bias are the AEW fans.

Top to bottom, Fyter Fest was a better show. But Sasha vs Io was Match (that aired on) the Night. Assuming at least one of them wasn't live. Bit of a coincidence that both shows were main evented by a title match where the challengers arrived at ringside in a car driven by a non-wrestler.

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Further proving that boomers love NXT. The future!

This isn't the point....     NXT was doing 500,000 viewers a few weeks back.   Now they are doing 800,000 viewers..  900,000 for Sasha/Io.    That is a MASSIVE improvement to what they were doing no matter how you want to spin it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think it’s fair to bring up both points. Total viewers and demos to create a full picture. That full picture? Kenny may be the Omega, but Sasha is the ALPHA. All hail the Boss. Winner of the ratings war. If Stone Cold and Hulk Hogan had a baby it would be Sasha Justine Banks. 

1 hour ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

This isn't the point....     NXT was doing 500,000 viewers a few weeks back.   Now they are doing 800,000 viewers..  900,000 for Sasha/Io.    That is a MASSIVE improvement to what they were doing no matter how you want to spin it. 

I DVR both shows but haven't watched Wednesday in months.  But come on, in retrospect, head to head I'd watch Io-Sasha over Best Friends vs. anybody.  I actually DID watch Io-Sasha after the fact.  

• Like 1

I'm not going to make this all about Sasha and Bayley,  I think what they bring to the table is clear.  I think the push of Keith Lee and some other things going on with NXT are also bringing in some new viewers.  

On the AEW side..   I mentioned it here before and someone else mentioned it too.  They stalled out their ongoing story lines in hopes of a return of live audiences and you can't do that.  Maybe a week or even a month but sooner or later you either have to pull the trigger on these things or forget about them and try something different. The shows have mostly been good but the last few weeks I can feel an overall lack of direction. 

• Like 2

Guest Edwin
On 7/3/2020 at 9:03 AM, BurningBeard said:

Ratings talk is by far the worst hangover from the Monday Night Wars

giphy.gif

---

Cringe:

Edited by Edwin

Ratings discussed by fans/board members...  sure.  It's not the best topic or most interesting but it's fine.  

Ratings broken down with pie charts and PowerPoints by Chris Jericho is kinda lame..    

He's dam near 50 himself.  So in a few months "he won't matter" either ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If this was brought up already it was lost in the sea of ratings talk and new to me.

From the new WON (and this isn't really surprising news and had been rumored for months)

Sane, 31, is returning to Japan to be with her husband. This has been in the works for a while and the company has known about it since May if not earlier. Sane was injured by Jax legit by being thrown into the ring steps hard when she was too close to the steps to control her bump on a Raw match taped on 5/26, which had to be stopped and was edited before it aired on television on 6/1. That’s why she hasn’t been around since, although she is cleared and is scheduled to appear on Raw soon as she is listed for the 7/3 tapings which would be for 7/6 and/or 7/13. But the decision at the time was to not harp on the injury on television nor talk about it at all publicly which is why they never played it up and her name hasn’t been talked about. The idea in play before the Sane-Jax legit injury was to do a career-ending injury angle with her later when it was time for her to leave, which was to set up Asuka against that person at SummerSlam for the title. This is also likely changed since Heyman left, and the person who would have most likely (not confirmed) been put in that spot would be either Flair, who may or may not be back by then, or Baszler, who Vince removed from television. The only thing we know is the person who ended her career was not scheduled to be Jax. While there’s been no talk about it of late, there had been talk that once her contract with WWE was up that she would wrestle one more year in Japan and then retire

• Sad 3