DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

16 hours ago, Cobra Commander said:

I won't blame Terry Funk if he didn't want to be on Twitter.. but Jerry Brisco's twitter might be one of the better old man wrestler twitters out there.

Man, that brief time period that Lance Russell was on Twitter before his death was beautiful. This was probably the most controversial tweet he (or the younger relative that was managing it for him) ever posted, and that account was a brief ray of positivity and love in a sea of shit and hate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

Fucking LOL to that

Anyway, wrestling trivia time. Is Sting the only person to have ever won the world title on a leap year day?

To answer the trivia no he’s not, and it’s happened quite recently. Jon Moxley won the AEW world title from Le Champion at Revolution which was on February 29, 2020. 

1 hour ago, Andy in Kansas said:

If Cody couldn't get the Rhodes name, he should have gone with Runnels. Just Cody doesn't have the same ring as Beyonce. 

I always thought he should go with "Cody Garrett..." (his middle name) then pause and let the crowd fill in the "Rhodes".

2 minutes ago, caley said:

I always thought he should go with "Cody Garrett..." (his middle name) then pause and let the crowd fill in the "Rhodes".

Hell the crowds still could fill in with Rhodes if they cared that much. When he’s intro’d as “The American Nightmare Cody” there’s always time for them to chant Rhodes since he’s intro’d last for almost all of his matches. I think he’s more obsessed with it than we as fans are. 

Hey, whatever happened to Kris Kristofferson Jr's wrestling career? His fake name was Garrett, wasn't it?

Why you would give Kris Kristofferson Jr a fake name for wrestling I don't know. Well, I do know, it's because Vince was being pissy. But you'd think he'd have realised that sometimes making exceptions to rules can be a good thing.

2 hours ago, MavsFan77 said:

To answer the trivia no he’s not, and it’s happened quite recently. Jon Moxley won the AEW world title from Le Champion at Revolution which was on February 29, 2020. 

Which raises a semantic question: is a world title still one that has been defended over seas (which AEW hasn’t) or is it now just a title which is shown on tv around the world? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AxB said:

Hey, whatever happened to Kris Kristofferson Jr's wrestling career? His fake name was Garrett, wasn't it?

Why you would give Kris Kristofferson Jr a fake name for wrestling I don't know. Well, I do know, it's because Vince was being pissy. But you'd think he'd have realised that sometimes making exceptions to rules can be a good thing.

Vince probably held a grudge against his old man for not putting over Triple H during "Blade: Trinity".

He also probably hated "Semi-Tough".

• Haha 1

God that macho man promo from a few pages back.

"You put me against the wallllll maaaaaan. And another GUY. Would have sunk to his knees...and begged for your mercy.... but I'm gonna stand up tall. SIX TWO TWO THIRTY FIVE."

Top five all timer that line.

• Like 3

Is the "World Titles must be defended overseas" rule referring to Countries or Continents? Because arguably American indies just need their champion to defend ONE TIME in Canada or Mexico. English indies just need to run one title match in Wales or Scotland, and then it's a World title... maybe the Republic of Ireland or continental Europe if you're big on the UK being one country and not four.

Even so, there are plenty of companies that do the thing Rockstar Pro did, where they only run shows in one city, but their World title has been to Germany so it's a REAL WORLD TITLE.

1 minute ago, AxB said:

Is the "World Titles must be defended overseas" rule referring to Countries or Continents? Because arguably American indies just need their champion to defend ONE TIME in Canada or Mexico. English indies just need to run one title match in Wales or Scotland, and then it's a World title... maybe the Republic of Ireland or continental Europe if you're big on the UK being one country and not four.

Even so, there are plenty of companies that do the thing Rockstar Pro did, where they only run shows in one city, but their World title has been to Germany so it's a REAL WORLD TITLE.

With zero authority my ruling is it's gotta be  continents. If I defended in the Tex Arcana area I'd be Tex Arcana champion. If I defended throughout the US, I'd be US champion. If I hit up either Canada or Mexico too I'd be North American. I'm thinking that Intercontinental just means two continents(as it was "won" in South America and brought back here). After that you're global.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not a moment too soon.

World Wrestling Entertainment informed their staff and roster this afternoon that the company is officially enforcing that protective masks must be worn at all times (except for talents performing on camera, obviously) while at TV tapings.

Going forward, WWE will be fining those who do not wear masks $500 for their first violation.

Anyone who has a second offense of not wearing a mask after that will be fined $1,000.

https://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=137663

RoH actually did the 3 continents thing (Joe did Eurpoe and Australia during his reign alone)  and even then, they eventually got Asia in there too during the Morishima reign.

As for everyone else, there's really no consensus on what's really a World Title.  Most people went by what Apter recognized as "World" but there was no real criteria ever given.

Here in 2020, I think "people from all over the world compete for the title" is enough to make something a world championship. It's not like, say, the World Series which is only vied for between teams from two countries (and yes, I know the actual reason it's called the "World" Series, but I'm ignoring that to make my point here and because most people don't know the history of the name).

Edited by Smelly McUgly

My personal preference for this imaginary rule is that you also have defend it against someone local to the area. Like Ric Flair defending against Jumbo Tsuruta.

It can't be Hulk Hogan defending the title against Ted Dibiase in Germany. He's gotta fight Otto Wanz.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

Here in 2020, I think "people from all over the world compete for the title" is enough to make something a world championship. It's not like, say, the World Series which is only vied for between teams from two countries (and yes, I know the actual reason it's called the "World" Series, but I'm ignoring that to make my point here and because most people don't know the history of the name).

If you're referring to the idea that it was sponsored by a newspaper called the "World", I believe that's an urban legend. Snopes has an article on it: https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/world-series/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Andy in Kansas said:

If Cody couldn't get the Rhodes name, he should have gone with Runnels. Just Cody doesn't have the same ring as Beyonce. 

Don'tsayitDon'tsayitDon'tsayit

In other words, he liked it, but he couldn't put a ring on it.

I'm so sorry.

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

As for everyone else, there's really no consensus on what's really a World Title.  Most people went by what Apter recognized as "World" but there was no real criteria ever given.

The Apter mags waited until Taz's first reign before they recognized the ECW title as a World Title. Three years after Raven defended it in Korakuen Hall.

Edited by mattdangerously