DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

On the ratings talk, I still find it remarkable that 700K+ people watch AEW live weekly when they’re still a brand new promotion and their only real NAMES that people would know are Moxley, Jericho, Cody and maybe Dustin Rhodes. Pretty much everyone else are indie dudes and gals.

For all intents and purposes, NXT should be getting more viewers just based on them being associated with WWE and that’s how the majority of people identify wrestling these days. It’s not wrestling, it’s WWE.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Eric challenging Vince to a physical fight every day on Twitter, and then calling Meltzer a keyboard warrior would be sweet hypocrisy.

I know you meant Bischoff, but my first thought was why am I challenging McMahon or Russo to a fight? ? And I did kind of insult Meltzer earlier even if I didn’t call him a keyboard warrior.

25 minutes ago, Casey said:

For all intents and purposes, NXT should be getting more viewers just based on them being associated with WWE and that’s how the majority of people identify wrestling these days. It’s not wrestling, it’s WWE.

NXT specifically caters to the more dedicated wrestling fan and is viewed as less important than Raw or Smackdown by average WWE fans. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Casey said:

On the ratings talk, I still find it remarkable that 700K+ people watch AEW live weekly when they’re still a brand new promotion and their only real NAMES that people would know are Moxley, Jericho, Cody and maybe Dustin Rhodes. Pretty much everyone else are indie dudes and gals.

I’d say Kenny and The Bucks are all names too just due to how much Bullet Club merch got sold in the US over the last five years. Plus they’ve got JR on commentary which while I’m not a fan has to be helping attract older fans too. And if being ex WWE counts towards being a name then Jake Hager is well known as a former WWE champion. 

The draws to AEW were the Elite, Moxley, & Jericho. Add in that along with there being a bunch of general wrestling fans who have felt burnt by WWE for years being willing to try something new, especially with All In proving a success two years ago, then its not really shocking that AEW has done as well as it has so far. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Eivion said:

NXT specifically caters to the more dedicated wrestling fan and is viewed as less important than Raw or Smackdown by average WWE fans. 

Sure, the product does, but according to the demographics the people that are watching the most are the same age group that watches RAW the most (50+).

Edited by Casey
  • Like 2

I really think if, you know, the world falling apart, hadn't happened, AEW was heading towards a big breakthrough with The Match Beyond.

But then *gestures vaguely at everything"

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Sure, the product does, but according to the demographics the people that are watching the most are the same age group that watches RAW the most (50+).

50+ is the demographic, that watches TV the most. NXT's 0.4 from the table in Jericho's tweet puts them in the bottom quarter of the the list. Aand AEW's 0.29 is one of the lowest value in the whole column. So compared to other TV programs both have a relatively young audience (though AEW's one is definitely younger than NXT's).

• Like 1

We aren’t comparing them to other TV shows, though? I’ve always just compared the two to each other. I really don’t care about NXT vs a reality show or AEW vs Sean Hannity.

eh, I get the impulse to dump on star ratings and I've got misgivings about them, but star ratings are the same as "roger ebert doesn't know what he's talking about, I thought it was good because ______." that's at least a venue to learn about your own preferences and what other people can see in things.

ratings talk in a vaccum is fine and maybe even interesting on occasion but people's treatment of them as like this One True Rating, like the masses have been right about anything in your whole life, can be exhausting. the parallel is only made real by a class of people looking to Metrics like they're the teacher and they're gonna get an A for liking all the stuff the market said was good

Edited by Lamp, broken circa 1988
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

WWE's copyright on the name 'Cody Rhodes' expired in April. So Cody from AEW tried to register it himself. And WWE opposed that, saying they let it lapse by accident because of Coronavirus and they should be allowed to keep their copyright active.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, AxB said:

WWE's copyright on the name 'Cody Rhodes' expired in April. So Cody from AEW tried to register it himself. And WWE opposed that, saying they let it lapse by accident because of Coronavirus and they should be allowed to keep their copyright active.

But I thought Cody could use it anyhow, and was just choosing not to? That’s the narrative he put out last year. That he was somehow legally entitled to it, but he preferred being known only as Cody, because he’d “worked hard”, and built up the name in New Japan and ROH. Which I read as him saying he backdoored his way into the Bullet Club, and Kenny and the Bucks made the name Cody more important (I like Cody, but let’s be honest without those three he would’ve fell flat on his face, and certainly not been an EVP for AEW).

And here’s an article that includes multiple tweets by Cody claiming he could use the name Rhodes:

https://www.cbr.com/cody-rhodes-name-trademark-wwe/

So yes WWE should give it to him, but it’s also something he’d been claiming wasn’t a big deal, and that he was okay with not using for his ring name. 

Edited by MavsFan77
  • Like 1

How I understand it is this:

He legally changed his name to Cody Rhodes a long time ago, so he could go by it whenever he wants.

The reason he "chooses not to" is because he couldn't put Rhodes on merch because of the WWE trademark.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

The network gives roughly zero shit about any number except the 18-49 demo. Because advertisers give negative shits about them.

Even so NXT was doing 500,000 viewers and not charting. Now they are doing 800,000 and in the top 20 so things have drastically improved.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MavsFan77 said:

But I thought Cody could use it anyhow, and was just choosing not to? That’s the narrative he put out last year. That he was somehow legally entitled to it, but he preferred being known only as Cody, because he’d “worked hard”, and built up the name in New Japan and ROH.

Fucking LOL to that

Anyway, wrestling trivia time. Is Sting the only person to have ever won the world title on a leap year day?

• Like 1