DVDVR Message Board

Independent Wrestling.TV

Couple big news items popping up tonight.

IWTV announced there will be an Independent tag team championship. Violence is Forever or I riot

And the last Masked Wrestler winner, RALPH the Robot, revealed himself and challenged AC Mack:

Spoiler

Fuck yes, give that man the belt

• Like 1

So today is the first of the GCW Settlement Series shows.   Otherwise known as how do we beat over the head that we and IWTV got major league issues.   We have all the wrestlers coming out to 'Bad Boys", we are talking about "a discovery phase" where the real "trial" starts at match 3, to the opening bell being the beginning of Law and Order DUN DUN/    Now we are getting Judge Effy and Alllie Katch 

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 1

The "GCW Court" gimmick they are doing for this show is my exact kind of inspired stupid. Loving that once the "court" began the "trial phase" that wrestlers started coming to the Peoples Court theme, presented arguments and counter arguments before the matches and have Jordan Cassel doing the "on the way out" interviews. 

• Like 1

Trying to put last names on people who have always been considered by first name is pretty funny.  Like Azrael being called Mr. Smith and Akira being called Mr. Jones 

ALLIE KATCH BREAKING THE GAVEL.   ?

Edited by hammerva

Learning that Grim Reefer's full legal name is "Grimmace Reefer" was quite the fun joke.

As stated earlier, I dug the Court gimmick overall, though it lost some steam as the show went on, and the "objection" gimmick seemed to do more to grind matches to a halt as an unnecessary complication than adding to the gimmick. I could see that working out great as a 13-episode hourlong gimmick like the Masked Wrestler, but I could see this becoming a drag if they keep it up over multiple 3-hour shows.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend is the 2022 SCI Tournament features the best talent around especially the south.  First round matches are:

Billie Starkz vs Robert Martyr
Eli Knight vs Myron Reed
Hoodfoot vs Orion Bishop
Damyan Tangra vs Daniel Makabe
Cole Radrick vs Adam Priest
Jaden Newman vs Ashton Starr
Manders vs Masha Slamovich
 Dominic Garrini vs Kevin Ku

First round SCI winners were:

Spoiler

Billie Starkz, Myron Reed, Orion Bishop, Damyan Tangra, Adam Priest, Jaden Newman, Masha Slamovich, Kevin Ku.

They would have announced the 2nd round matchups live at the venue after the stream went off the air, but I haven't heard them yet.

Also Billie Starkz died a hero's death as she did a swanton from the top rope to the floor onto chairs. The gifs are out there.

Thanks for checking out SCI weekend

If you liked Makabe v Dom and Damyan Tangra, check out Makabe/Brandon Williams v Violence is Forever from the ACTION Futures Showcase

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah. It was odd, Beyond went to shorter matches when they started doing Uncharted Territory, and then Wrestling Open went to 10 minute time limits, so suddenly being at Americanrana and having every match got 20+ was a bit jarring. And then Eddie and Slade go 3 minutes.

I really liked Yuta vs Thatcher.

Dominic Garrini VS Tyson Riggs AIW Fresh Meat 2.  It' was Tyson's first match and was really, really good. Stiff match with some good mat work. Crisp reversals and submission attempts.  Was the opening match on the card and I really enjoyed it. 

Also, 2022 has been a breakout year for Alec Price.  If you don't know him you should go out of your way to check out his matches.

• Like 2

if you are looking for a fun watch, IWTV added AIW Wrestle Rager from a few yrs ago.  Night 2 has a fun Candace/Johnny Gargano match that is worth a watch.  All 3 shows are fun and quick watches.  Abyss/RSP is fun too from night 3. 

37 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

A) Is anybody else watching the HOG ppv tonight and 2) if so is this where we discuss it afterwards? Couldn't find much about it anywhere else on the boards. Thaaaaanks.

I would if it wasn't on Fite.  Jacob Fatu vs Brodie King sounds like a hoot.

• Like 1

Spoiler

The HOG ppv opened with a joined-in-progress inter-gender battle royal.

A tag team called Cashflow Inc. came out and threw fake money on the crowd. This would become important later.

Low Ki is wearing the hitman suit which I forgot was ever a thing. He's older now so looks more like just a dude in a suit at an office job. Bandido is getting cheered over Low Ki and Ki seems legit disgruntled. Also a woman in the front row asked for a hug and a chant of "hug that lady!!" started. Low Ki refused to hug her, Bandido went and gave her a hug, the crowd went insane. There was tons of stalling and taunting at the beginning which made me think they were going to go short, which they did (I think like 10 mins), but the match was really good. Ki won and the crowd wasn't feeling it. 

After the match the fans started balling up the fake money and throwing it at Bandido. Bandido seemed legitimately convinced it was real and started grabbing all the money and acting astonished and overcome with gratitude by the fans' generosity. There's no backstage camera so the camera stays with Bandido for what feels like an eternity. The commentators (who were horrible throughout) don't know what's going on. One of them makes a racist joke about Bandido needing money to get back to Mexico. This was weird.

This promotion has a "Six-Way Cruiserweight Title". Buddy Matthews was one of the surprise entrants in the six-way match. This match was a disaster where the commentators AND the ref thought it was one fall but it ended up being elimination. Crowd was REALLY into Matthews. When he got eliminated (by DQ) they turned on the remaining guys pretty hard for a bit, but then it came down to the last two guys who were evidently HOG regulars and the crowd dug it. 

Jacob Fatu comes out and the commentator guy says that HOG hasn't had a world champion in over three years. This match will finally determine a champion. Match went like a minute and ended in a double DQ for chair violence outside the ring. Malaki Black shows up to help beat up Fatu. Then Amazing Red comes out to stare down Black and Brody King. It becomes a tag team match, just like the Heroes of Wrestling main event. No champion declared, no singles match between Fatu and King. Red is not the man I remember from 2002 who was capable of getting Don West to stand up on a table and yell. King had two great matches with Darby Allin recently but Red does not have the believable small guy dynamism of Darby. The commenters refer to the Rampage Rumble as the Royal Rampage. AEW should hire Jacob Fatu. Match was okay but sloppy at times and ended in a DQ (again, after the singles match had already ended in a DQ). The House of Black got disqualified in all three matches they were part of. I guess Kingston vs Marufuji is ending in a double pin or something. Low Ki cut an absolutely horrific promo after the match.

Now there's an intermission and the ring announcer on live ppv asks "the students" to come secure the crowd barricade with zip ties. 

• Thanks 1

Is anyone familiar with this LVAC promotion? They added a show that looked like it happened yesterday and from the roster its like Chikara 2.0. Kingston, Orange Cassidy, Delirious, the Batari, and Cheeseburger were there among others.  

Spoiler

Not much else to saw about the HOC ppv other than

A) Charles Mason's Patrick Bateman gimmick is completely horrendous,

B) Max Castor showed up unannounced to rap the Main Event to the ring and it RULED, and

C) Marufuji vs Kingston was FUCKING AWESOME but unfortunately got cut super short. The post-match was beautiful with Eddie explaining to anyone who didn't know exactly why Marufuji's connection to 90s AJPW is such a big deal. Very heartfelt and moving scene. Eddie bowed, raised Marufuji's hand, and insisted on leaving the ring first (even though he went over!!). Just awesome stuff. Too bad the match didn't get another 10-15 mins. 

I don't think I'd order one of these again because some of the finishes were really bad and I hated the commentators and Charles Mason. But most of the wrestling was good to very good and Low Ki was much better than I figured he'd be given his age and amount of wild stuff he's done over the years. Everyone having hip hop entrance music was a nice touch. 

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1