DVDVR Message Board

Independent Wrestling.TV

Freelance last night was a lot of fun. JJ Garrett vs Storm Grayson was fun and Bryan Keith vs Craig Mitchell was a well paced bigger guy brawl. Bryan Keith is quickly becoming must see every time he wrestles. Dan the Dad was super over in the main event and honestly, Frank the Clown does good work as a manager for Robert Anthony. 

Black Label Pro booked Tom Lawler vs Matt Makowski, and I wasn't watching live? Shit. Going to have to go back and get the on demand of that one.

So I decided to see what IWTV has done lately. These 2 stood out so I watched them: 

- Malakai Black vs Davey Richards - Prestige -- Richards seems a little more chiseled than in his younger years, and I already like aging Richards more than his past incarnations. Black is getting House of Black chants and it seems really unfair. I think Black thought so, too...The match is worked around Richards left leg getting hurt and he even tries to take out Black's leg in response. At times, Richards is really convincing and his facial expressions got me realizing that the last thing this guy needed was to lose a leg in this ... but it turns out he was faking! Or no, it just got better as the match progressed. But the ending was great and it did include some more great selling from Davey Richards leading to an unexpected House of Black (that's what it's called, right?). Thanks for not forgetting your leg hurt when it counted, Davey. That finish was *chef's kiss*

- Matt Makowski vs Tom Lawlor - Black Label Pro -- was this the greatest match ever? It certainly contained the best wrestling. I know, other matches contain greater spots, storytelling, etc.; however, I wonder how many matches are so progressive that the first move in the match is a figure-4 leglock? I remember in the SmackDown Six era, Kurt Angle was seen on Confidential making comments about how only Benoit, Eddie G., and Brock were on his level and how we may someday, somehow, see them usher in a brand new style of wrestling. This Lawlor/Makowski match had to be that style of wrestling and at the same time, something Kurt Angle never imagined. I wish I knew what Tom Lawlor's current likeability was supposed to be; I get that he's the champ in this, which was probably enough, but the crowd acted like they would rather boo him. They didn't though and for whatever character dynamic these two had going in, I wish I knew, they were obviously as real as they needed to be. Is Makowski still in Lawlor Club? If so, this match was wanting nothing.

• Like 1

RPW and ICW did a Chicago double header last night. Hoodfoot-Vendetta, Shlak-Hoodfoot, Randi West-Mickie Knuckles were all excellent deathmatches. Dominic Garrini vs Justin Kyle was fun, I didn't know Dom was back. I see now he had a match for AEW.

Those with IWTV accounts should go watch Arik Royale vs Kevin Ku from this weekend's ACTION show, I really dug it. Both dudes have low-key been two of the better guys on the indy scene for a while, and Ku in particular really stepped up in what is probably his biggest singles match to date.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2022 at 1:31 PM, killsteve said:

Those with IWTV accounts should go watch Arik Royale vs Kevin Ku from this weekend's ACTION show, I really dug it. Both dudes have low-key been two of the better guys on the indy scene for a while, and Ku in particular really stepped up in what is probably his biggest singles match to date.

Thanks for watching the show.  That was a really good match, and I need to go watch it back again

• Like 1

Dominic Garrini vs Jesse Neal, Kasey Kirk vs John Wayne Murdoch and Joel Bateman vs Reed Bentley from ICW Pitfighter X were all really good last night. It was primarily a deathmatch show by Garrini vs Neal was a fun faux mma/hardcore match. Crowd was hot all night. 

• 3 weeks later...

Jonah and Speedball Mike Bailey have a great fucking match in Limitless.  I can only hope they take it to IMPACT!  Bailey is awesome.  Jonah is awesome.  Masha Slamovich and Delmi Exo have a good match and amazingly great postmatch.

https://independentwrestling.tv/promotion/Limitless-Wrestling

• Like 1

Oh wow, IWTV is adding AJW shows to the service. 

Looks like the plan is to add five shows a month. The first month includes the Nakano/Kong cage match.

I know all this stuff is on youtube but it's still cool.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zimbra said:

Oh wow, IWTV is adding AJW shows to the service. 

Looks like the plan is to add five shows a month. The first month includes the Nakano/Kong cage match.

I know all this stuff is on youtube but it's still cool.

This seems like good reason to sign a deal.  Are there any articles (Segunda Caida included) that have laid out a sort of guide to the riches of this era/promotion?  Or does anybody have any good starting point recommendations?  Anything I've ever seen has been tremendous, but I know so very little.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Yes, any Bull Nakano match.

@Jiji will pimp Akira Hokuto.

If star ratings are your jam, here's something for you. The first like... 35 matches are 4 to 5 stars alone.

I mean, my favorite match ever is Nakano/Kong in the cage, but Kandori/Hokuto at Dream Slam 1 is like... 1b.

18 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

Looks like they did new transfers from the masters so the VQ is considerably better than what's been available online for most stuff.

When they have a more heady library than just 5 shows, this might make me subscribe. Not that the footage out there is BAD, but if the quality is better... yeah, I'm in.

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 1

Team AJW (Etsuko Mita, Mima Shimoda, Suzuka Minami, Yumiko Hotta & Numacchi) vs Team LLPW (Harley Saito, Eagle Sawai, Mizuki Endo, Yasha Kurenai & Noriyo Tateno) is another one of my favorites even though I'm light on knowledge for a lot of people involved. And it's not TECHNICALLY AJW, since I believe this was on a LLPW show.

But my other recommendation would be Manami Toyota vs Yumiko Hotta in the Grand Prix '95 final.

Joshi Puro Oshi is the GOAT YouTube page

• Like 1

It's untouchable.

Going through the yearbooks with friends last year or two and I'm getting to see a decent bit of pre-gimmicked up Hokuto and it's tremendous. '91 starts off with one of the better matches of that era in Bull vs. Hokuto. Super sprint but with the added emotion those two bring. 

• Like 1

I'm tempted to get this again but was wondering if anybody uses the Android app.  Last I used it a while ago it was buggy as hell and casting wasn't the smoothest experience.  If they did updates that make it usable then it's a possibility.  It's funny they say it works well on LG smart TVs since I have one.  But using that option that was a mess as well.  It's a weird thing to consider a deal breaker but between that and saving money I had to cancel for a while.

EDIT:  Just saw the app was last updated September 2019 so so much for that.  We'll see about smart TV browser as an option.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

On 3/31/2022 at 1:37 PM, DEAN said:

Make sure you watch Shinobu Kandori/Bull Nakano chain match.

I just looked on my shelves down here in my basement. Unfortunately that was a LLPW match. That was one of many VHS purchased from video rental stores in Japan really cheap when the stores switched over to DVD. A wonderful match for sure.

Izui from Lady Ring hosted a series of best of shows with various stars of that era on cable TV in the last year or two. The star was in studio with him and they talked before and after the matches. The footage was high quality. Actually the 30 year old commercial tapes played on a VHS through a DVD recorder to my TV with a HDMI cable look really good with whatever up-formatting and re-sizing happens on the way.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Jon Davis vs Bojack from PWX X16 tournamlent. 

Holy crap, Bojack is fast. Afutura! Jon Davis is ancient of days; how old is he? 600? Someone said Chris Dickinson is in line to take Eddie Kingston's Love of the Common People role in indie-wrestling. In a just society, Jon Davis would be that man.

awesome dynamic action. I don't know, it was like 11 minutes but that's extra long for a couple heavies. 

Lately I've been finding the greatest intricacy in wrestling is size ratio. These two have incredibly precise size-ratio: they are a legit match. 

I love how they fought for the superplex spot. Sometimes it's just a couple scraps to assert dominance at the top, other times, it's an extended scrap where the man in the corner has to drumroll on a dude's head to refuse taking a superbump. This exchange seemed buried to the forehead in exhaustion, maybe because of the fact they are shaped like two stones that once formed the same egg and it's like watching the cosmic egg crack itself from a high place. Bojack has a damn fine Superkick tho!

Edited by Horatio

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 9:59 PM, NikoBaltimore said:

I'm tempted to get this again but was wondering if anybody uses the Android app.  Last I used it a while ago it was buggy as hell and casting wasn't the smoothest experience.  If they did updates that make it usable then it's a possibility.  It's funny they say it works well on LG smart TVs since I have one.  But using that option that was a mess as well.  It's a weird thing to consider a deal breaker but between that and saving money I had to cancel for a while.

EDIT:  Just saw the app was last updated September 2019 so so much for that.  We'll see about smart TV browser as an option.

Can't speak to that but I can tell you their iPhone app wasn't great, either, and like the Android app, had not been updated like ever.

It's wild how indy wrestling has two major streaming outlets (this and Highspots) and both are weak as fuck with their apps, if any exist on your platform at all.

• Like 1

Beyond guy was doing a Q&A on twitter, and I asked him how many weeks Wrestling Open was going to run for. He said 52 shows a year, from now until the end of time. Every Thursday, including Thanksgiving apparently.

I also feel partly responsible for him making the Slade vs Akira match from Beyond: Inertia into a 10,000 thumbtacks match a few hours before. On his previous Q&A I asked him what he did with used thumbtacks and he said "Last time we ordered any, we got a double delivery, I think I've still got a bag around here somewhere."