DVDVR Message Board

Independent Wrestling.TV

Another Japanese promotion for there to be seven events uploaded for and then never again. Two recent house shows, one has Takuma & CHANGO vs Mashimo & Hanami and the other a Takuma vs Hanami singles so if you've been keeping up with the Andrew Kingdom storyline, there's some more world-building for ya

• Like 2

On 1/29/2021 at 10:07 AM, Log said:

Agreed on Broner and Crewe.  

I also love Big Beef.  First, that name!  I love it so much.  He looks like Francis from Pee Wee's Big Adventure got some tattoos and stopped being a whiny brat.  Also, my wife calls me "Beef" (I'm a dude in his early-40's who lifts weights but doesn't always eat so well.  I'm not fat, but I'm not cut, so my wife says I'm "beefy".) so his name cracks us up.

Am I crazy, or have most indie wrestling men (and women too, really) have settled into gimmicks/looks that are either a)Barber from that one shop where they do that one haircut that's real short on the sides and fades up into a longer part/angry barista (see Lord Crewe) or b)I'm a demon/kitty cat/anime character or c)Big black dude (can be fat and awesome (Hoodfoot, Tankman) or "beefy" and awesome (Broner, O'Shay Edwards))?

As far as the match length at Paradigm, I've thought the same thing.  It doesn't stand out as much when they do a full UWFi rules show, but it does when they have a show with them mixed with "normal" matches.  I do love the UWFi stuff, though. You can never really tune out on the match since the finish can come any time.  I like that, but it has its drawbacks, too.  For example, sometimes a finish head kick or something doesn't quite land and you're left wondering what happened.  For the most part, though, I really dig Paradigm.  They're doing something unique, and I appreciate that.  Once it's safe to do so, I'm definitely going to catch some of their shows live.  They run just a few minutes from me.  I wish I'd have had them on my radar pre-pandemic.

LOOOL @ your description of indy guys' looks.  Absolutely.  Even the guys with "trailer park" or tough redneck gimmicks like DDTrash or Hardway Heeter look like hipsters who have carefully cultivated an ironic rural look and I can imagine them sitting around ironically sipping PBR.

I typically turn Paradigm off when they get to the deathmatch portion of their shows.  I don't need to see late 80s indy looking ass Matthew Justice trading unprotected chairshots with dudes.

On a side note, I have to give props to Suge D.  He was on a Collective weekend show and tortured O'Shay Edwards into submission that made you sit up and say "OH SHIT," and I just saw him on an Action show really leaning into his bitter asshole heel who is a better wrestler than these kids and will fuck you up gimmick.  He could have rested on his laurels and gone on a "I was Pineapple Pete on national TV" tour and would have been fine.  Instead, he's creating a whole new thing and he's awesome.

• Like 2

So it looks like IWTV got a distribution deal with Pluto where they put however much of their stuff on the Pro Wrestling channel.  And what's the first match I see when checking it out?  Contra Unit vs LA Park and Jr. from Defy.  Considering I cancelled IWTV for a couple months I'm beyond thrilled by this devolopment.

EDIT:  Here's the link with the news about it.  https://independentwrestling.tv/news/iwtv-announces-partnership-with-pluto-tv

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 10:59 AM, Technico Support said:

Watched it last night.  Really good, thanks!  Suge D's segment on the show was very good and I'm really liking his new character. 

Thank you so much for watching 

Suge is doing the best stuff of his career IMO. 

ACTION is live on IWTV on Feb 12th for a doubleheader btw featuring Anthony Henry's final independent match v Nolan Edward and AC Mack defending the ACTION Championship against Arik Royal in a no DQ match 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2021 at 10:59 AM, Technico Support said:

Watched it last night.  Really good, thanks!  Suge D's segment on the show was very good and I'm really liking his new character. 

Thank you so much for watching 

Suge is doing the best stuff of his career IMO. 

ACTION is live on IWTV on Feb 12th for a doubleheader btw featuring Anthony Henry's final independent match v Nolan Edward and AC Mack defending the ACTION Championship against Arik Royal in a no DQ match 

• Like 1

Here's one for the IWTV viewers and/or people more in the know.  Why hasn't Chris Dickinson become a bigger indy name and gotten attention from the bigger companies?  I know he was on New Japan Strong last week but aside from that, I haven't seen him on any of the bigger indies outside of one shot with PWG five years ago and one match in ROH some time back as well.  I know he worked for Evolve but that's as big as he got.  I haven't heard anything about interest from AEW.

He's got a good look, charisma, and is good in the ring.  So what gives?  

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 9:49 AM, Technico Support said:

Here's one for the IWTV viewers and/or people more in the know.  Why hasn't Chris Dickinson become a bigger indy name and gotten attention from the bigger companies?  I know he was on New Japan Strong last week but aside from that, I haven't seen him on any of the bigger indies outside of one shot with PWG five years ago and one match in ROH some time back as well.  I know he worked for Evolve but that's as big as he got.  I haven't heard anything about interest from AEW.

I don't have any real insight into that, but I do know he was poised to have a huge WrestleMania weekend last year before all of the indy shows shut down.  I think he was facing Shingo on one show.  That probably would've been a big talker from the weekend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Log said:

I don't have any real insight into that, but I do know he was poised to have a huge WrestleMania weekend last year before all of the indy shows shut down.  I think he was facing Shingo on one show.  That probably would've been a big talker from the weekend.

Shingo on one show, Minoru Suzuki for Bloodsport, and I have in my head Janela was booking him in some tag team match for Spring Break involving Mutoh that never got formally announced. He was totally all set for the breakout star of the weekend spot that Orange Cassidy had in 2019 and PCO had in 2018.

I can't speak for why he's not in WWE or AEW now, but I do know that 5 or 6 years ago he was the center of one of the first social media dust-ups over intergender wrestling after a rather brutal powerbomb spot involving him and Kimber Lee went viral, and he has acknowledged that stalled out his momentum for a while in terms of getting looks by bigger promotions and buzz indies, and it's really only been that last couple of years that he has really been able to put together the pieces again.

If you have IWTV, his run on the weekly Beyond Wrestling: Uncharted Territory shows building up to his Americanrana 2019 match against Daisuke Sekimoto was a heck of run, as Beyond mostly brought in other "big boy" indie wrestlers for him to barrel through and almost every one of those matches was a highlight of each show.

• Like 1

ACTION Wrestling is on IWTV.live Friday with a doubleheader.  NO EASY WAY OUT! at 630pm EST features Anthony Henry's final independent match vs Nolan Edward, and EYES ON THE THRONE features AC Mack defending the ACTION Championship against Arik Royal in a No DQ match.

https://independentwrestling.tv/news/breaking-action-double-header-will-stream-live-on-iwtv

Thought I'd post in case anyone may care to watch the livestream, on twitter the hashtag will be #ACTIONIWTV

• Like 2

I am not sure if this will be shown on IWTV but as part of Beyond Wrestling, PWI and IWTV they just ran a 'charity" iron match between Tony Deppen and Trish Adora that Trish won 2 falls to 1.   Not sure if you want to watch all 60 minutes but basically the match just proves that not only is Deppen one of the best indie worker in the business right now but that Adora is a upcoming star that really needs a Wrestlemania weekend to get to the next level  in terms of popularity

• Like 1

On 2/9/2021 at 9:49 AM, Technico Support said:

He had heat on him at one time as being hard to deal with. Years ago he was booked regularly in AIW. Something happened (trying to remember what it was) and he came across as an asshole. From what I've seen and heard he has changed for the most part. He doublebooked himself with ICW and another promotion a yr or so ago (maybe GCW?)  and it got him more heat.   His in ring is great and as mentioned his 2020 Collective would have had him as break out star of 2020.  

• Thanks 1

Wasn't the heat mostly from the Kimber Lee awesome bomb that went viral?

edit: fuck, the chair shot that comes before it was probably worse. The pazuzu bomb looks worse than it probably was because her head was inches away from the bottom turnbuckle.

Dickinson is a very good pro wrestler who protects his gimmick more than most on the indies but maybe that's just him. He's one of the few people left on the indies that is clearly ready for prime time.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 4:51 PM, Jacey said:

ACTION Wrestling is on IWTV.live Friday with a doubleheader.  NO EASY WAY OUT! at 630pm EST features Anthony Henry's final independent match vs Nolan Edward, and EYES ON THE THRONE features AC Mack defending the ACTION Championship against Arik Royal in a No DQ match.

https://independentwrestling.tv/news/breaking-action-double-header-will-stream-live-on-iwtv

Thought I'd post in case anyone may care to watch the livestream, on twitter the hashtag will be #ACTIONIWTV

Thanks for the heads-up!  Added to my watchlist (if watchlist works correctly.  It's really dodgy on Roku.)

I'm currently working though Uncharted Territory from the beginning.  The interviewer absolutely corpsing when Santell mistakenly refers to the Discovery Gauntlet as "the Infinity Gauntlet" was the best.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Dickinson is working with Chasyn on the Wrestler For Hire custom video site.

Where'd you find this at? I need to know for sure so I can add Dickinson to the list of wrestlers I won't support for working with a convicted pedophile.

Edited by Super Ape

does Pluto's wrestling channel only show Beyond? I mean, that's cool, but I don't need a 24/7 channel of Beyond matches, even though I really like the promotion. That being said, I've only watched about an hour of the channel, but they were just doing blocks of Uncharted Territory which is why I'm asking this in the first place.

28 minutes ago, Casey said:

does Pluto's wrestling channel only show Beyond? I mean, that's cool, but I don't need a 24/7 channel of Beyond matches, even though I really like the promotion. That being said, I've only watched about an hour of the channel, but they were just doing blocks of Uncharted Territory which is why I'm asking this in the first place.

I've seen Defy, PCW (California), Women's Wrestling Revolution, some best-of compilations (Mom Moxley, Nasty Boys) and repackaged GLOW among other stuff.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, but they do run separate cards, so. I don't mind intergender stuff but I definitely prefer male vs male or female vs female, and I've seen maybe two WWR shows and I liked them.

But that's good to know, looks like that'll be my default background TV channel from now on (sorry, CNN).

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2021 at 10:00 PM, Pete said:

I've seen Defy, PCW (California), Women's Wrestling Revolution, some best-of compilations (Mom Moxley, Nasty Boys) and repackaged GLOW among other stuff.

Good amount of Southwest on there too.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to put over IWTV again...

I'm working through Beyond Wrestling with my starting point being the first episode of Uncharted Territory.  I'm up to the Secret Show in Boston and hey, Violence is Forever comes to the ring.  I'm like, "nice, I like these guys."  And then BEAR COUNTRY comes out as their opponents and "nice" becomes FUUUUUUCKKK YEEEEEAAAHHHHH THIS IS GOING TO BE A BADASS MATCH MOTHERFUCKERS.  Wrestling is wonderful, friends.

But damn, Bear Beefcake/Boulder needs to never shave his head again.  It makes him look like Michael Elgin.

• Like 3