DVDVR Message Board

Independent Wrestling.TV

5 minutes ago, EricG said:

As an AIW regular and someone that finds Matthew Justice entertaining ... he needs to stop that. It's been a semi-regular occurrence on AIW shows for the last two years and I'd guess other places as well. He's crazy enough where it doesn't add anything, and there's a legit cringe (and not in a good way) every time they do those spots. 

Jumping off of balconies is more than enough. 

I knew the guy when he was making $5, and nacho's from Jim Miller.   He progressed on and worked for IWC in Pittsburgh for a short while but never really connected with fans. If you watch his older stuff I would compare his style more with a Tyler Black.  He didn't do the balcony dives/deathmatch stuff until he got into AIW in recent years. 

He always had decent matches in IWC but nothing that I can remember off hand as going out of the way to see. I was kind of shocked WWE went with Logan (Elias) and not Justice though at the time. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

He always had decent matches in IWC but nothing that I can remember off hand as going out of the way to see. I was kind of shocked WWE went with Logan (Elias) and not Justice though at the time. 

I don't know how I managed it, but I never connected Shulo to Elias until just now.  And I saw Shulo a few times in the indies.

It sounds like Justice has changed his style a fair bit since I saw him.  Mostly remember the name from Pro Wrestling Ohio years ago.

I’ve seen him on AIW, GCW, and Paradigm and to me he’s the definition of a replacement level player.  Dude looks like every lifer you’d see on late 80s - mid 90s local indies.  He sticks out like a sore thumb among so much of the great Indy talent out there who are either really talented and/or working fun gimmicks.  If all he really has to offer in 2020 is 1996 ECW cosplay, no thanks.

Edited by Technico Support

1 hour ago, Eoae said:

I don't know how I managed it, but I never connected Shulo to Elias until just now.  And I saw Shulo a few times in the indies.

It sounds like Justice has changed his style a fair bit since I saw him.  Mostly remember the name from Pro Wrestling Ohio years ago.

Shit, i totally forgot about the PWO stuff. I believe he had decent matches with Mdogg and Gargano there.  

Yep Shulo is Elias. I was at the guys first match. Hell he swung his mic stand at me at one show.  If you would have told me out of all of the IWC local talent Logan would be signed and pushed I would have laughed.  I actually was sitting next to the WWE talent scout when he came to the show. He didn;t really hide himself wearing a WWE polo and dress pants. I believe he was there to see Shima  (DJ Z,  Joquim whatever the fuck NXT calls him)  but ended up impressed with Logan. 

43 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Shit, i totally forgot about the PWO stuff. I believe he had decent matches with Mdogg and Gargano there.  

Yep Shulo is Elias. I was at the guys first match. Hell he swung his mic stand at me at one show.  If you would have told me out of all of the IWC local talent Logan would be signed and pushed I would have laughed.  I actually was sitting next to the WWE talent scout when he came to the show. He didn;t really hide himself wearing a WWE polo and dress pants. I believe he was there to see Shima  (DJ Z,  Joquim whatever the fuck NXT calls him)  but ended up impressed with Logan. 

Considering I've only seen Elias in WWE is there anything online that's worth checking out from that time.  I think he's a fine enough wrestler but would be curious to see how he's either progressed or regressed since those days.

31 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

Considering I've only seen Elias in WWE is there anything online that's worth checking out from that time.  I think he's a fine enough wrestler but would be curious to see how he's either progressed or regressed since those days.

He's progressed by a mile!  I was at every single show he did in Pittsburgh and like I'd mentioned I would have never guessed he'd be doing as great as he his now. He was very vanilla.   Luckily IWC made a huge mistake and fired their long time camera team (Sorgatron Media) when they decided to  get their own streaming service.   Sorgatron was pissed and put the majority of their IWC shows on Youtube for free.  So you can watch any of what I've mentioned. 

His early matches with Facade were ok.  Unfortunately none of the older IWC dvd's are on the official site anymore so I can't go through the matchlistings.  Anything 2011-2012 should be good. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

He's progressed by a mile!  I was at every single show he did in Pittsburgh and like I'd mentioned I would have never guessed he'd be doing as great as he his now. He was very vanilla.   

He struck me as fairly bland when I first started seeing him in NXT.   Even after the Drifter character caught on, there was a lot of discussion on the internet about whether he could get over without the gimmick.  I remember people thinking he'd fail on the main roster because they expected Vince to nerf the gimmick and didn't think he could get over organically.

I'm still amazed Johnny Gargano and Ray Rowe made it to WWE.  Lol, when Gargano started getting booked in Chikara, I thought that was probably as high up the food chain as he'd get and even that was more than i expected.  Shows how much I know.  I'm kinda impressed that he got over as the babyface ace of NXT because my first exposure to him was PWO, Chiikara, and other tiny indies in the Northeast where he almost always played chickenshit heel flunkie to another chickenshit heel.  Never thought he'd make a good babyface.

I wish Gargano was taller.  When I see him in NXT, I think of Dave Meltzer's line about Austin Aries: If he was six inches taller.... he'd still be four inches too short for the main roster (Dave said that years ago when Aries was in ROH, before WWE started signing indie guys like Danielson and Low-ki).

Elias isn't that big either, but he's got a broad chest and big arms, so he looks larger than he is.  I was surprised to realize he's only billed at about 220 lbs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eoae said:

He struck me as fairly bland when I first started seeing him in NXT.   Even after the Drifter character caught on, there was a lot of discussion on the internet about whether he could get over without the gimmick.  I remember people thinking he'd fail on the main roster because they expected Vince to nerf the gimmick and didn't think he could get over organically.

I'm still amazed Johnny Gargano and Ray Rowe made it to WWE.  Lol, when Gargano started getting booked in Chikara, I thought that was probably as high up the food chain as he'd get and even that was more than i expected.  Shows how much I know.  I'm kinda impressed that he got over as the babyface ace of NXT because my first exposure to him was PWO, Chiikara, and other tiny indies in the Northeast where he almost always played chickenshit heel flunkie to another chickenshit heel.  Never thought he'd make a good babyface.

I wish Gargano was taller.  When I see him in NXT, I think of Dave Meltzer's line about Austin Aries: If he was six inches taller.... he'd still be four inches too short for the main roster (Dave said that years ago when Aries was in ROH, before WWE started signing indie guys like Danielson and Low-ki).

Elias isn't that big either, but he's got a broad chest and big arms, so he looks larger than he is.  I was surprised to realize he's only billed at about 220 lbs.

Funny my user name is actually based on the theme Gargano used in IWC for awhile.  I totally get what you say about him but what many don't know is that he had a few other strikes as to why I never thought he'd make it big time.

If you know about PWO/Prime I am praying you know the background and how Wally was running it before everything came out about the prison stuff and he was supposed to be done with PWO completely. If you don't know about it google it because it's a lot to take in. If you can't find it message me.

Then there is Gargano's back injury. Many people on the indy scene (promoters, wrestlers) said Gargano would never pass a physical to get into WWE. Somehow he did. 

There was also the time where he posted on Facebook that he signed.  He left it vague and people assumed WWE. Johnny never once set them straight to say it was Dragongate USA/Evolve and this reportedly pissed of WWE at the time.

Gabe was always huge on Johnny and I am sure is pushing Gargano to anyone who will listen.  Which is cool because Johnny isn't a bad guy at all. He is extremely awkward (anyone who met him can probably agree) but he's a good guy who loves wrestling.

Raymond Rowe... Where to I start.  I consider him a friend. I just never imagined he would be in WWE without Jason Bane or Shane Taylor.  Those guys as well as JRocc went everywhere together for the longest time. I saw a couple Rowe-Samoa Joe matches live and Rowe botched quite a bit. Joe was pissed enough to not want to work him a third time. Again Rowe the person is great and I love seeing him against smaller guys. He can be a great heel but should be a heel. This silly viking gimmick does nothing for him. Make him like a Batista or a Brock.  Less talking more ass kicking. I am sad to say I always forget Ray when I mention IWC guys who made it to WWE.  

As random as this is I was just told James Ellsworth worked a show I was on as well.  I mentioned working Big Bully Busick's final show. Well Jimmy the Dream was in a tag match on the show. I went 6-7 yrs without even knowing I worked a show with the guy.  Wild.

JAPW on IWTV?  Yes Please!!!!!!  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I've heard so much about JAPW over the years but that is a huge, huge blind spot for me.  I'm not expecting all their shows on there tomorrow but I'll have to check some of them out.

They just said they uploaded "Over 30" events from 98-2001 today, but eventually there'll be more than a hundred from the entire history.

• Thanks 1

Since they didn't unmask the winner, I'm guessing he wrestles the match against Warhorse masked and removes it when he, presumably, wins the title. I don't know what else you can do with Warhorse as champ if he retains after this. If the masked man is a heel, they can have him use the glass buttplug they gave him as a trophy to knock out Warhorse.

So they're doing IWTV Awards again this year:

By the looks of it, anyone with a subscription can nominate (or vote). Although the awards ceremony won't be part of Beyond's New Year's Eve show this year, because they aren't doing one. Last year's was good, they had a countdown to midnight with the main eventers in the ring, and as soon as midnight struck the bell rang to begin the first match of 2020 (in the EST Time Zone).

Just now, elizium said:

Since they didn't unmask the winner, I'm guessing he wrestles the match against Warhorse masked and removes it when he, presumably, wins the title. I don't know what else you can do with Warhorse as champ if he retains after this. If the masked man is a heel, they can have him use the glass buttplug they gave him as a trophy to knock out Warhorse.

I've seen Effy do a spot where he pulls a plug out of the back of his trunks and uses it to, uh... mandible claw his opponent, I guess is how you'd say it. Doesn't happen much because I'm guessing most wrestlers don't want to take the spot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone voting in the IWTV awards? Not sure exactly who I'm going to pick but I was thinking:

Chris Dickinson for Wrestler, Violence is Forever for Tag Team, maybe Dickinson/Priscilla Kelly for Match. I have no idea what I would pick for Moment of the Year. Promo/Vignette nothing jumps out at me, I might pick one of the 44OH vignettes, Death Match Robin Hood was pretty fun.

AJ Gray is someone else I was thinking for wrestler, seems like whenever I watch a card he's on, he's almost always in the best match.

I nominated WARHORSE for Wrestler, ViF for Tag Team, Moriarty vs Shelley for match, and Paris is Bumping for moment. Promo I haven't decided yet.

I nominated

Wrestler-Dirty Doug Wyzer

Tag Team-Sea Stars

Match of the year-Kennedi Copeland vs logan Black Limitless Wrestling The Road Aired nov 18th

Moment-LEARY AND THE HIVE ATTACK KIRBY WACKERMAN AND NICK STAPP FROM LIMITLESS WRESTLING ON NOV 25TH

Promo/vigilante-DOUG WYZER DANCE BREAK FROM LIMITLESS WRESTLING ON NOV 25TH

If you aren't watching Limitless's weekly show go watch it. 1 hour and it's the best wrestling on Wednesday nights.

• Like 1

I watched the latest Glory Pro show and it was really good BUT, god damn, more fucking unprotected chair shots to the head.  This time, Jake Something mashed Manders with two really gross ones.  Look, I don't know what IWTV's viewership numbers are for any given show, or how many people paid to get into that socially-distanced fairgrounds building, but this shit just straight up is not worth it and I'd love to know what these two dumb shits are thinking.

On the plus side, god damn, it's easy to see what AEW saw in Top Flight.  And Danhausen showed up in an El Generico mask, greatly popping Ethan Page on commentary.

Edited by Technico Support

Voting for the IWTV Awards is open. Lee Moriarty is up for Wrestler of the Year and has two matches up for MOTY, vs Alex Shelley (which I nominated and voted for) and vs Daniel Makabe.

You know who's been a real revelation for me on various shows I've watched on IWTV?  Dominic Garrini.  Previously, my only experience with him has been on MLW where I viewed him as a joke character.  I think it's because he worked in a gi there.  He's kind of short and chubby, so working in a gi, he looks like modern day Sean Astin playing in a family movie about a middle aged dad who teaches karate in a strip mall.   I mean he looks like a total goof in MLW.  Seeing him working as a total badass in better gear on these indy shows has been amazing.  Check out the latest BLP match where him and Kevin Ku win the belts from the Besties.  Just a tremendous match where you absolutely believe a fired up Garrini can straight up murder these fools.

• Like 1