DVDVR Message Board

Independent Wrestling.TV

8 hours ago, AxB said:

So Paris is Bumping was really good. Not your traditional Pro-Wrestling show by any means. But definitely worth a watch.

Really enjoying IWTV as a whole.  The Masked Wrestler is a great concept. Lady Frost who was revealed this week is actually the girl I booked the work Ray Lynn at Sam Adonis's first Lucha Fiesta show. Sam told me to book 2 women for the card, funny how it ended up and he is now dating Ray Lynn. 

The NWA Wildside shows are better than I would have expected, the NWA Upstate shows are fun, and AIW from 2011 on (once the cameras are upgraded etc) is perfect

• Like 2

I love the Masked Wrestler.  Since my wife's all about Masked Singer it was an easy sell to have her watch it with me.  Now I only saw KTB before but have heard of the other two.  So it was neat seeing them try to throw the judges off even though what Frost was doing gave it away to two of the judges.

I really need to see more of IWTV.  Halloween stuff is dominating the TV screen at the moment so here's hoping I can get into more of what they have next week.

as a kid i loved going to the video store to rent a wrestling movie or a video game. Part of the fun would be seeing an older WWF or WCW tape for the first time and getting to bring it home to watch.

Now everything is streamed. As a kid I would have dreamed of this as something that could never come true. Unlimited wrestling.  As a 37 year old I personally have so much wrestling available I'l never even be able to fully watch the shows I want to see. Is this a good thing?  Well tape rentals were like $4 for 3 nights.   For $10 a month you get unlimited everything.   

I think we have it better now just ranting that I'l never have the time to see everything. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, paintedbynumbers said:

as a kid i loved going to the video store to rent a wrestling movie or a video game. Part of the fun would be seeing an older WWF or WCW tape for the first time and getting to bring it home to watch.

Now everything is streamed. As a kid I would have dreamed of this as something that could never come true. Unlimited wrestling.  As a 37 year old I personally have so much wrestling available I'l never even be able to fully watch the shows I want to see. Is this a good thing?  Well tape rentals were like $4 for 3 nights.   For $10 a month you get unlimited everything.   

I think we have it better now just ranting that I'l never have the time to see everything. 

Oh, to be a kid with no responsibilities and time on our side.  I would love for that happen again but time moves way too fast for that second part to happen.  But I do think one trade-off with that is unlike the video stores all those videos are on-demand so that does help.

It does give me an idea though.  If I somehow have time to do it I may go through all the promotions and find one match (maybe two time permitting) from each one to try and get a feel for what that promotion offers.  Will that be possible?  I don't know but it's an idea I'm kicking around and regardless may help me see how the smaller promotions are.

Granted that it is Onita and he is carny as fuck but if you have to the chance to watch the H2O Last Extravaganza show tonight or in replay check out the promo he cut for "his American Brother" Matt Tremont who is having his final match against Ricky Shane Page.  Gets extremely emotional and starts to cry.    Again it is Onita but it seemed heart felt which coming from Onita is saying something about how loved Tremont is in this business

That match was everything you could possibly want in death match wrestling.  Fuck that in wrestling in general.   Violence, emotion, and intensity.  

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Random thoughts from watching some indy shit:

I don't get Jimmy Lloyd.  I watched a Joey Janela Spring Break show from a few years ago and Lloyd came off like this chubby, baby-faced joke job guy type, then I watched something recent where he's now a deathmatch badass?  He beat Elayna Black in an absolutely joyless slog of an intergender dathmatch and it was so not my thing. He feels like Joey Janela without any of the charm, wit, or self-awareness.

Paradigm Pro should maybe just build the whole promotion around UWFI rules matches with maybe a deathmatch thrown in when things get too heated.  UWFI stuff is pretty much all I care about watching from them.  Not a knock on them at all, BTW.

Speaking of Paradigm, they have a championship that's just a faceplate on a gold rope chain.  That's tremendous.

I gasped when I realized Iron Mike Braddock is missing a leg and wrestles with a prosthetic one on.  Wow.  I only saw him in two short UWFI rules matches.  Is he any good in a normal match?

Lio Rush vs Blake Christian from the last GCW show was really really good.   

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I don't get Jimmy Lloyd.  I watched a Joey Janela Spring Break show from a few years ago and Lloyd came off like this chubby, baby-faced joke job guy type, then I watched something recent where he's now a deathmatch badass?  He beat Elayna Black in an absolutely joyless slog of an intergender dathmatch and it was so not my thing. He feels like Joey Janela without any of the charm, wit, or self-awareness.

I hate Jimmy Lloyd and yeah I don't understand him either. Is he a booker or moneymark or something, because they name so many events after him; like Jimmy Lloyd's So and So or Whatever?

And yeah, that match with Black was a disappointment. When she came out I thought for sure she was gonna murk him

• Like 2

11 hours ago, elizium said:

I hate Jimmy Lloyd and yeah I don't understand him either. Is he a booker or moneymark or something, because they name so many events after him; like Jimmy Lloyd's So and So or Whatever?

And yeah, that match with Black was a disappointment. When she came out I thought for sure she was gonna murk him

he is friend's with Joey Janella.  With Joey now in AEW I assume he is taking the role of "GCW Fantasy booker"  not a fan of the guy's look or in ring either. Very bland.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I gasped when I realized Iron Mike Braddock is missing a leg and wrestles with a prosthetic one on.  Wow.  I only saw him in two short UWFI rules matches.  Is he any good in a normal match?

Braddock was good in OVW. He went by his real name, Michael Hayes, there.  He's changed it for obvious reasons.  

When he was just starting out, I shot and edited a news story on him.  I was a news photographer for 15 years, and this was my personal favorite story I ever did:

I'm not positive, but I think the match in this story was his first match in front of a crowd.

In the times I've seen him after doing this story, he's always been really cool to me.  I watched that PPW show.  I think he did great.  I'm hoping that gets him some more exposure and more opportunities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I just watched some Zona 23 while on the treadmill.  Is there anything of quality I should seek out or is it all below-average workers doing garbage spots?  I watched two luchadoras go at and and after the match, one clobbered a fan over the back with a handful of lighttubes.  Cool, but the dude didn't even sell it, so it exposed the business even more than the two fat dudes in the previous match, who just took turns waiting patiently for the other to hit them with plunder.

Anybody care to spoil the Masked Wrestler for me?  I watched two episodes but couldn't get into the fact that it was kayfabe.  I was hoping two guys would work a match and be graded on their work by judges.  Instead, the matches were treated as real and the winners progressed in the show, which was dumb to me.

• Like 1

I love the Masked Wrestler, just because of the concept, but if they bring it back they need to tweak it a bit. Right now, there is no point in having the judges. The loser takes off their mask anyway, so whether the judges guess or not it doesn't affect the outcome. I like you idea of having the judges grade them. Maybe the matches could have 10 minute time limits. If there is a fall, that wrestler automatically removes their mask. If not, the judges give out scores. Or maybe you have the judges guess and if they get it right, that wrestler is out, but otherwise they both move on. I don't watch the Masked Singer, so I'm not sure how they decide who gets unmasked or not.

Revealed wrestlers so far, with one semi-final and the final remaining:

Spoiler

Logan Easton Laroux, KTB, Lady Frost, Tre Lamar (guessed right by Billy Dixon), Josh Bishop (guessed right by The Brickster)

Edited by elizium
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for humoring my random thoughts as I go through my IWTV journeys, my dudes.

Watching Joey Janela's Lost in New York...fun show so far.

Sandman looks like Stu Hart nowadays but seeing his full entrance again was very cool.

This is the second show I've watched (after Orange Cassidy is Doing Something) where Nick Gage has a manager with him.  Who is this guy and what's the gimmick or story here?  Nick Gage doesn't need a manager.  WTF?

Seeing Chris Dickinson looking a little schlubby with a bit of a gut instead of jacked to the gills is just weird.  Reminds me of that PWG show or two a long time ago when Brian Cage was coming off an injury and unable to work out and looked like a totally different person.

6 hours ago, Technico Support said:

This is the second show I've watched (after Orange Cassidy is Doing Something) where Nick Gage has a manager with him.  Who is this guy and what's the gimmick or story here?  Nick Gage doesn't need a manager.  WTF?

Dewey Donovan. He was Gage's manager from the CZW early days. Shows up with him sometimes. My guess would be only on shows that are driving distance from South Jersey.

• Thanks 1

That whole match was a treasure; Page's outfit, Lawlor's America sweatpants, Lawlor's America briefs, Page channelling Van Damme after being blinded by powder, the turnbuckle assisted bicycle kicks, neither of them releasing the block when they simultaneously went for overhead chops, the crowd chanting "kumite", the interfering ninjas leading to these sworn enemies having to work together, Page getting resuscitated after receiving chest compressions. I'm sure I'm forgetting like a dozen things.

E: Oh yeah...Lawlor doing the Lex Luger Torture Rack arm taunt and then actually picking Page up into the Rack

oyM5RSG.jpg

Edited by elizium
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

That's awesome.  I didn't know the story behind it.  So great.  I guess we're headed to a "loser must die and stay dead" rematch.

Erick Stevens vs Dominic Garrini from the same show was also really good.  Just a short, brutal, fun match.

With his build and perm mullet, Josh Bishop looks like a young Glen Jacobs.

10 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Watching the latest AIW show, which was good up to this point...and Matthew Justice just let Bishop and Barkley give him three completely unprotected chairshots to the head.  What a bunch of dumb fucks.  Stopped the show, removed from watchlist.  

As an AIW regular and someone that finds Matthew Justice entertaining ... he needs to stop that. It's been a semi-regular occurrence on AIW shows for the last two years and I'd guess other places as well. He's crazy enough where it doesn't add anything, and there's a legit cringe (and not in a good way) every time they do those spots. 

Jumping off of balconies is more than enough. 

• Like 1