DVDVR Message Board

Extreme Rules XII: The Horror Show - 7/19/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Man, if only Rey had shifted his right hand an inch to the left, he wouldn't have had his eyeball inflated to twice it's size and sustain an injury that's physically impossible in that circumstance!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I expect that for the same reason. I think that's why the classic WWE Intercontinental Championship brought back by Cody Rhodes at Hell in a Cell 2011 was replaced with a new and inferior one last year. Only Cesaro tag team to miss out on a reign, Jack Swagger.

In all likelihood the replacement of titles has more to do with wear & tear. Those things don't last forever and do gain damage within a few years. AJPW had to replace the Triple Crown several times in the 10-15 years for that reason. Stardom isn't even quite ten years old yet and had to replace their original titles 2-3 times already as well.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eivion said:

In all likelihood the replacement of titles has more to do with wear & tear. Those things don't last forever and do gain damage within a few years. AJPW had to replace the Triple Crown several times in the 10-15 years for that reason. Stardom isn't even quite ten years old yet and had to replace their original titles 2-3 times already as well.

It's also the question of adding another design to make money off if.  The original overhaul of the belts was so that WWE could lock in design trademarks (away from Parks), and prevent other companies from using a similar design (like when the original Copyrights of the early 90's belt designs ran out, Heyman immediately used the WWF designs for a new set of ECW belts, namely the Tag and TV belts using the WWF's IC and World designs, respectively).  Generally when the exclusivity deal runs out, WWE switches up the designs so that another company can't have similar looking belts.  It's less a shot at Cody and the "classic" IC design as it was more that particular IC design wasn't exclusive to WWE, so they switched to one that was, and can also make money off replicas.  Same with the new US belt.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

Andrade, Vega, and Theory had been all over Raw but weren't featured on the ppv,  No Black, no Murphy, no R-Truth, no Otis, no AJ,    

I'm not a fan of the shorter PPV's.  Make your tv shorter but extend the PPV.  Riddle-AJ could have easily been on the show. 

The last thing I wanted last night was more WWE...   I enjoyed most of the 2 hours despite some terrible finishes,  lets leave it at that lol

1 hour ago, MavsFan77 said:

Rey isn’t working with a contract that’s why the had him lose. Realistically he’ll be back, but with it not being guaranteed he had to do the job.

Then they should have never booked the match.  How can they be so stupid?  And how can they not sign Rey FUCKING Mysterio?  Don't they realize what a get that would be for AEW who would probably treat him like the legend he actually is?  My god is WWE the dumbest of the dumbest.  He probably just wants an NXT contract for Dominic and a decent paycheck.  He obviously doesn't complain about his booking because generally speaking his booking (outside of the Brock feud) has been horrendous and pointless and made Rey just another guy instead of the most important and influential luchador that's ever been in WWE.   Idiots.

49 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Then they should have never booked the match.  How can they be so stupid?  And how can they not sign Rey FUCKING Mysterio?  Don't they realize what a get that would be for AEW who would probably treat him like the legend he actually is?  My god is WWE the dumbest of the dumbest.  He probably just wants an NXT contract for Dominic and a decent paycheck.  He obviously doesn't complain about his booking because generally speaking his booking (outside of the Brock feud) has been horrendous and pointless and made Rey just another guy instead of the most important and influential luchador that's ever been in WWE.   Idiots.

Uhm, Rey is the one who wants to leave. He was also injured a good amount of the time he was there in this second run. 

Edited by Eivion
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Uhm, Rey is the one who wants to leave. He was also injured a good amount of the time he was there in this second run. 

Then they never should have booked the match.  This isn't rocket surgery.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lawful Metal said:

Then they never should have booked the match.  This isn't rocket surgery.

It only happened in the last few weeks of a feud that had been going on for 2-3 months.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

People will say "hey Bayley isn't a licensed referee"  but isn't the whole point of being a Karen that you can enforce any and all existing or non-existing rules and laws because you feel you are entitled to that right? 

and that the manager will eventually comp you what you want just so you'll shut up and go away.

"Look just give her the free meal coupon and the referee's license, it's not worth it."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, nate said:

Knowing how WWE likes to shit on record reigns of people who have left the company, I'm guessing Cesaro will get at least one more run with the tag belts with a different partner, to render Billy Gunn's "most title wins with different partners" record irrelevant.

SO now we get the fun part of trying to guess who that will be.

I'll take a stab at Keith Lee, right after Vince decides he wants to keep the title on Brock after Mania in order to build towards The Undertaker coming out of retirement for one more match in the middle east.

So this is like the first WWE I've watched since Mania.

Tag title match was pretty good. Surprised WWE let Kofi go out there with the "Breonna" armband, but good for him. Cesaro's still pretty great, I see.

Bayley's entrance where she pelvic thrusts her belt at each individual "fan" is some quality heeling. Always knew she had a good heel run in her, and the 2-woman power trip makes me feel bad that crowdless wrestling is so unwatchable, because Bayley and Sasha as a heel team with all the belts is totally my jam.

So does Apollo have the 'rona? MVP using his same music from 13 years ago was pretty jarring.

The Eye for an Eye match might have worked in Lucha Underground, but it didn't have a chance in WWE. Both guys did pretty well trying to work the psychology of the match given the circumstances. The fake eye and Droz puking was bad enough, but the worst part was totally retconning the whole thing later in the show. It went from "One of these men's lives will be altered forever" to "Well, it looks like Rey is gonna be back to 100% in no time" real quick.

Sasha/Asuka was decent, although the story would seem to call for less Sasha offense. Asuka was the one hitting all the counters despite Sasha being hyped as the counter wrestler. Then of course the finish was terrible, not just because of what it was, but because there were a million simpler ways to get to the same spot. The ref could've just counted the three in a state of panic, or (if you wanted to do something goofy) pound the mat in pain three times while Sasha is in a pinning position.

The main event brought a whole new meaning to "main event promo." That thing was like 75% talking. Leave it to WWE to ruin the cinematic concept in a few months time.

Not a completely terrible show, but not anything that makes me want to watch more either.

They should've channeled the finish from the Dusty/Tully "FIrst Blood" match from Starrcade 1985. Dusty busted open Tully but the ref was down and JJ closed up Tully's cut with vaseline. The ref gets bumped while Rey pulls out Seth's eye/marble. Then while the ref is down, Murphy comes down and puts Seth's eye/marble back in with the help of WD40 or vaseline, takes out Rey's eye/marble, covers Seth's face with a towel and when the ref wakes up all he sees is Rey's eye/marble out and calls for the bell. 

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Bayley's entrance where she pelvic thrusts her belt at each individual "fan" is some quality heeling. Always knew she had a good heel run in her, and the 2-woman power trip makes me feel bad that crowdless wrestling is so unwatchable, because Bayley and Sasha as a heel team with all the belts is totally my jam.

No one ever complains about how the WWE "wasted their chance to have a Joan Cena" in the form of Hugger Bayley anymore.

Now it looks like that would have been the waste.  She's been nothing less than consistently fantastic since embracing heeldom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

So does Apollo have the 'rona? 

According to Meltzer, yes.

He allegedly tested positive a couple weeks back.  He's supposedly through it.  WWE expected him to be available for the match and only found out a couple hours beforehand that he wasn't.  Testlng delay or something along those lines.  It sounds like he might be back by the next taping.