DVDVR Message Board

For the BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS~!

DEAN

Several years ago, ESPN Classic would show those old Chicago and Buffalo matches at some ungodly early hour on Saturdays, and of course I got up to watch. That Cholak/Chene match was just about the best thing they ever ran.

Ricky Santana goes to Florida to wrestle the Sheepherders and bleeds like a freak so he can get back in the race of biggest blood sucking freak.  Fidel Sierra and Luke Miller win the buckets of blood award in this.  All in 5 minutes.  A TRIUMPH!

• Like 1

I forgot Cholak/Chene had blood. Excellent contribution! 

You can go down a rabbit hole watching Chicago Film Archives matches on Youtube now. If the French Catch ever dries up Segunda should start on them, hint hint

EDIT: Jeezus, we need more Fidel Sierra I guess.

Edited by Curt McGirt

Fidel Sierra was a long time Stampede guy as Cuban Assassin, I'm sure everyone knows the story there that sadly it doesn't look like we'll ever get much in the way of full matches out of Calgary because of how they chose to edit for TV. I do wish we had a better archive of it. Obviously as an Alberta lifer myself, I'm curious. My Stampede memories are very hazy at best because I was so young when the real Stampede ended.

That Moose Cholak/Larry Chene match rules. Cholak has a similar body type to John Tenta but man can he move around. And you could do that ref leapfrog spot today in AEW and it would still be fresh, too.

• Like 1

“There they laugh: they do not understand me; I am not the mouth for these ears.”

― Friedrich Nietzsche, Thus Spoke Zarathustra

"Whooooo mercy baby, my mama was a Gibson, my daddy was a Fender, you know Handsome Jimmy gonna be your mindbender! Lancer my brain has been gone, it’s been gone 5 or 6 weeks, it’s back it flew in special delivery, my brain and my body is back, Jack"

— Handsome Jimmy Valiant

you will learn (daddy),

RAF

• Like 2

Jonathan Boyd is almost as much fun in Portland as he is in Memphis.

=======================

Or add Eric Embry and Texas and a bucket of blood, and Boyd is awesome.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

What better way to debut Abby in your territory than by having a blood donation? This angle actually rules. "We need a stretcher from the back, we need help."

Somehow Hart's Willy Wonka-esque "stop. don't. come back." to prevent Abby from further attacks is the best part of this. If only he beat up David Manning instead of Bronco Lubich.

• Like 1

The Fabulous Ones and the Moondogs, the two most hardcore tag teams in Memphis, beat the shit out of each other.  Stan Lane bleeds first because HE IS HARDCORE.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DEAN said:

The Fabulous Ones and the Moondogs, the two most hardcore tag teams in Memphis, beat the shit out of each other.  Stan Lane bleeds first because HE IS HARDCORE

It's a shame most of the Memphis stuff from the Mid-South Coliseum looks automatically like it can't be higher than 240p when played online.

3 hours ago, DEAN said:

GOD DAMN!  Taya Valkarie channels Pirata Morgan in this street fight with Ayako Hamada.

Speaking of Ms. Hamada and bad video quality...

I was watching IYH: Season Beatings the other day with Bret and Davey Boy where Bret bleeds for the entire Hart family. However, after he first does the deal, he leaves a puddle on the outside that look like a giant watermelon exploded. Maybe the strange color of the mats and the floor of the Hersheypark Arena made it look like Bret bleeds this alienlike, magenta-ish hue colored substance, but it was definitely different as I was watching on the WWE network.  So the video quality shouldn't have played a factor.

However, I was reminded of the HamaKINO (or CAZAI) vs. LCO ARSION Twinstar title match from December 1999. Now there have been different versions of the match with different video quality. I think the best version of the match got taken off Youtube. In most versions of the match though, the video quality is sadly lacking. I say that because after the ref makes a dead sprint and jumps over people like FloJo to go slice open Ayako (and boy, he got her good), there is a puddle made when Ayako is brought back to the ring by Mima IIRC. In a great moment of improv and brutality, Mima puts her hand in one said puddle and puts a bloody handprint on Aja's white sweatshirt. That's fine and dandy, but when they hold Ayako on the ropes to do the signature LCO bitch pose, it looks like poor Ayako's blood is thinned out to the point where she's gushing cranberry juice. In most versions of the match, it doesn't look as a brutal because of the video quality. Now there is a clipped, digest version still up on Youtube where the video quality is good enough where it comes across much better. In the version of the full match that got taken off Youtube, when HamaAKINO is celebrating their hard fought win, either Ayako has swallowed so much of her own blood or the blood loss was so tremendous that Ayako almost barfs mid sentence on the mic. That was something to behold.

There is a picture from Tumblr that better conveys the ULTRA crimson mask of one EIGHTEEN YEAR OLD(!) Ayako Hamada:

tumblr_otl7haeana1qjyr3go1_500.jpg

• Like 5