DVDVR Message Board

For the BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS~!

DEAN

3 hours ago, J.H. said:

Hogan and Muraco in a match from my childhood!

James

I was in the 2nd or 3rd row at MSG on that night.  If I'm being perfectly honest, this match was a bit of a blur to me, as I had already watched Randy Savage debut earlier that evening and my mind was completely blown.  

Edited by Evil Otto
  • Like 2

This is some grimy lucha libre.  Chucho el Roto leans into every slab of light tube,  Toxico pusses out by keeping his shirt on.

On 4/19/2022 at 8:31 AM, matwarz said:

I’m not backtracking to see if it’s been mentioned, but I’m still mighty fond of Yuji Nagata vs. Togi Makabe from a red hot korakuen, July 6, 2007. One goes method to perfectly acceptable results. The other decides on freestyle with an assist and hits the bloody jackpot. A GREAT brawl 

I got you. https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1254y1r7yx/

This is an important match for me. I remember getting into NJPW during its absolute nadir despite NOAH's surge, but I was drawn to the idea of the Tenzan vs. Kojima IWGP vs. Triple Crown match, thought the G1 Climax was a far more atmospheric event than the (post-split) Champion's Carnival, found entertainment in the better parts of the MMA crossover stuff and really believed in their younger guys. This was about a year removed from Lesnar bullshit and it really says a ton that the IWGP Heavyweight Championship was being defended @ Korakuen Hall. It was, on paper, a pitiful situation. But this one was a quiet classic and the blood was balm. Nagata during this time period was doing work that is still deeply underrated, busting his ass every time he was asked to and clicking so, so well with Tanahashi, Giant Bernard, Makabe, baby Yoshitatsu, and eventually Minoru Suzuki. He was a huge part of the foundation of New Japan's comeback and I'll shout it from any rooftop you give me.

Also - protip! Go to Wikipedia and copy/paste people's names written in Japanese. Pump it into bilibili. More often than not it works.

• Like 4

Absolutely. Nagata’s 2007 was better than many guys careers. He remains one of my top workers of all time. Everyone should get hold of the IWGP title blu ray box set volume that covers 2007. Especially given it includes the complete Nagata v Tanahashi rematch from October that was on my most wanted list for years. The Tana/Nagata matches from 2007 are damn near perfect pro-wrestling.

• Like 1

NWA Women's Pacific & NEO Title Street Fight Death Match
Yoshiko Tamura (c) vs. Kyoko Kimura

You want a stark contrast? This is like part 3 or 4 of a compilation that is interspersed with clips of modern day Yoshiko Tamura working her job as a massage therapist after retiring from wrestling. Apparently, former rival and opponent Emi Sakura decided to drop by for a session to start off this part of the compilation.

Then, you get a DELUGE of unspeakable violence between Tamura and Kyoko Kimura for half an hour. It is the absolute opposite of first 90 seconds of this video.

• Like 3

On 5/22/2022 at 1:46 AM, Elsalvajeloco said:

Then, you get a DELUGE of unspeakable violence between Tamura and Kyoko Kimura for half an hour. It is the absolute opposite of first 90 seconds of this video.

Good lord, they opened by trying to literally disembowel each other. That's nuts. 

• Like 1

Haven't even seen that one but it looks ghastly from the screencap. Apparently everyone jumped on my bandwagon after it showed up in Way of the Blade (I uploaded it first! Off Dean's download!) because there are about five different links to Goto/Onita vs. Dragonmaster/Kurisu up now.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Thanks 1