DVDVR Message Board

For the BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS~!

DEAN

In case you're wondering because you haven't signed in to Youtube this is motherfucking MR. CONDOR VS. BLACK TERRY IN ZONA 23. So it's basically like Gypsy Joe fighting himself. It is so in-your-face that you'll be gobsmacked. Stick around for the mic battle at the end because Black Terry sounds like the head villain in an action movie and, like through the match, they never stop cursing. Or bleeding. 

EDIT: Oh yeah, big up to the dude in the crowd with the Oz - Fire in the Brain shirt! One of the best records ever.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

Rewatching it and I also caught a Venom - Black Metal shirt and (this is fitting) a Crudos - Ilegal Y Que? shirt.

Los Crudos- Ilegal y que? - YouTube

Zona 23 crowds are the shit. 

Oh and the bottle break in this is an all-time line-step moment. I challenge you to find a moment that feels more like a fight just got real. 

• Like 1

The Desert Storm match should have blown off Hogan/Slaughter

Instead the WWF ran Hogan/Slaughter in some form on 3 of 4 MSG shows after Desert Storm ended

• 4/22/91: Hogan vs Slaughter - Slaughter wins by DQ (Joey Marella saw Hogan with a chair and assumed he used it)
  • 6/3/91: Hogan vs Slaughter - Hogan win the Desert Storm match
  • 7/1/91: Hogan and Slaughter were working a Desert Storm match in West Palm Beach while MSG got the Ultimate Warrior/Undertaker bodybag match
  • 8/26/91: Hogan/Warrior vs Slaughter/Adnan/Mustafa - the Summerslam Match

Vince was really banking on Desert Storm lasting longer than it did. But not banking on it hard enough to find someone other than the Iron Sheik once they needed a 3rd member of the unit.

The timeline probably didn't allow this alternate idea to germinate in time for Summerslam 91 but Hogan/Warrior vs Undertaker/Jake the Snake at Summerslam 91.

• Like 1

Los culottes de Demencia are super dope - "I peel it" - ?!?! C'mon, that's good. I like the whole COVID19 casualness of these matches, like, "this how hard we are trying, it is diffucult for everyone, right?" - T shirts, beards, no one runs, the fans are not too demonstrative.

How I watch rassling, and what I look for and appreciate has gone through a recent shift. My attention span is less, so it's random matches and noticing the little things. I am currently watching the whole of Columbo on TUBI, and really digging the bits of actorly "business" that everybody engages in, to keep up with PFalk, whose character, gimmick and acting style here is all "business". Good workers are like that, sometimes in the service of an extreme gimmick, but sometimes just naturally, so they look like they belong in the ring. I recently saw JLawler live and he does so many little things SO RIGHT, like Bobby Eaton, Terry Funk, and the gimmick guys like the Original Sheik or Kamala, everything fits, sum>whole. There are guys who have "business" but it's not natural, it's just in service of the gimmick or work, cf. Randy Orton, Bulldog Bob Brower, KKross. Anyway, clothing matters. I want those pants for magnet fishing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

the fans are not too demonstrative

Did we watch the same match?! Those folks were LOUD, and the chants never stopped. It sounded like a whole crowd of women too. 

I agree on the wrestling though, nobody was trying anything fancy at all, there wasn't even a dive in the whole damn thing. La Chona was super over though and has super charisma to boot. Not a lot of blood but just enough to make things work.