DVDVR Message Board

For the BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS~!

DEAN

2 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Moneyball (Ladder) Match: D-Fix (KAORU & Mayumi Ozaki aka OZ) vs. LCO (Mima Shimoda & Etsuko Mita)

Let's go through the checklist, shall we?

Quadruple juice like it's a Fantastics vs. Sheepherders match? Check.

Mima Shimoda tapping an artery like she's known to do on occasion? Check.

D-FIX dressed like they just robbed a Rainbow, Citi Trends, and a Forever 21 all in the same day, but only took the clothing and not the money? Check.

Absurdly dangerous ladder spots? Big check.

Mayumi Ozaki almost coming out of her top four different times? Check.

KAORU probably breaking a rib and puncturing a lung because she wasn't expecting to take a big bump? Check.

Looks like everything is in order for a crazy, awesome, spectacularly violent match.

Gaea's youtube channel is a godsend. Cool match, thanks for posting! That shove off the ladder KAORU takes at the end, yikes.

• Thanks 1

How has Vince not stolen the Moneyball gimmick? Certainly a ball full of cash hanging above the ring is more appealing to him than his own belts. (Sorry, titles/championships. Improper terminology!)

Also, because I hadn't increased the screen, at first I thought it was just a mirrorball above the ring and someone was probably gonna get powerbombed onto it haha

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2021 at 10:25 PM, Curt McGirt said:

A couple matches rom Phil's book, for future watching

Oh my God, this fucking match.

I came into my diehard wrestling fandom in the post-VHS pre-Youtube days, voracious and obsessive like ya do. When I was 16 and daydreamed of wrestling school as a viable alternative to college (in retrospect, wasn't it?) I was obviously taken by the AJPW classics, the epics. The 30+ minute Triple Crown Tragedies in Seven Steps and all that good shit. So yeah. Lots of thinking about 6/9/95 while failing Calculus quizes.

Toshiaki Kawada vs. Akira Taue, 1/15/91 Korakuen Hall is a match for grown-ups. People who only have 15 minutes before they have to go to their fucking job. If All Japan were a North American company that had to rely on feud-based weekly TV, this would be the match to point to as a perfect hypothetical TV main event. If the house style of AJPW were closer to this, Akira Taue would be the most beloved Pillar. It straight-up hurts that no Triple Crown matches looked like this one, certainly the HDA and the gaijin would have loved to get this ugly every now and again. Maybe this was only going to work in a place like Korakuen, but man, matches like this make you never want to leave Korakuen. This match really does hint at an alternative future to King's Road that we never saw come to pass.

I love the cutaway shots to Jumbo and Kobashi, I love the blood, I love everything the guardrail is involved in. The non-cooperative headbutts and elbows, the organic nearfalls that emerge from the chaos, the one completely appropriate no-sell, Kawada abandoning his kicks, the announcers getting too hyped and calling the wrong moves, the fucking gross finish... I can't remember seeing such joy in Akira Taue's eyes as when he's obliterating Kawada's knee. This match is a truck full of testicles crashing into an exploding sake factory.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes indeed! Wildest wrestling story ever told perhaps. 

I'm only halfway through the "trios" match above and it's awesome. Satanico is such a vicious bastard in this, at one point he's biting Garza then rears back and pops him with an elbow that looks like it was meant to hardway him. Garza is a highspot machine here, best tornillo ever, gorgeous moonsaults including a standing one that he eats shit on. I'm gonna catch the second half after work. 

That is some text book AJPW stiff clobbering, with non-sequitur bleeding by AT. If it was music, it would be Rachmaninoff or Queen or Dave Brubeck - a classic choice for everyone, that can inspire new appreciation with careful attention. Also, speaking of cool jazz worth a listen, whilst watching this the YouTube algorithm recommended me a video titled "How Barney Miller's Gay Couple Defeated the Network Censors" so Ima give that a watch.

• Like 2

I don't know if the Muta scale is 1-5 or 1-10, but i'm gonna go 1-10 and give Slaughter a 6-6.5 and Sheik a 8.5-9 for this one. Not sure if Sheik could have bled much more if he got New Jack to exactoknife his bald head.

It's very possible this match, or another Sheik/Slaughter Boot Camp match, has already been posted in the 38 pages. But fuck it. The Iron Sheik gashed himself for our joy. Terry Daniels looks like a doof. Slaughter is charging down the hallway with a spring in his step. People waited through a bunch of heels going over, watching Jay Strongbow not take a Superplex from Cowboy Bob and watching Sal Bellomo lose in front of his "two brothers visiting from Sicily" for a chance to see this..

The entire card is now on the Network, so who knows what happens to the YouTube uploads. Don't fuckin tell the Peacock Police.

• Like 6

It's been posted but I treat this thread like there is a statute of limitations of a sort, if it's been in the first 10 pages (and it probably was) then it's cool to post again. I'm pretty sure I posted their prior match which I prefer to the Boot Camp match actually. 

Man, Sheiky Baby went from 0 to 60 in blood flow within seconds there. And the pop at the end was Road Warrior level. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

I'm not gonna go to the replay to check where he bladed, but I wonder if a bald guy like the Sheik ended up blading himself a little bit higher than guys with hair usually blade. Like he got some "bumped into a sharp right angle and cut yourself on the top of the head" blood. At the very least, being bald probably makes the bleeding more impressive looking than for most non-blondes with hair.

Also, the Sheik using the riding crop on Slaughter as if he had no idea what to expect was a fun visual

• Like 2

This is the one I prefer. Super hot MSG crowd, Slaughter absolutely looking like the cartoon character he was, blood all over the ring, and doing the Pledge of Allegiance after the match which some lady in the crowd absolutely SCREAMS along with. I'm sure if she is alive she believes very deeply in a myriad of conspiracy theories. 

• Like 3

Any day now we will have that CSI Miami/Bladerunner "enhance, enhance, enhance" photo tech so I can find my own greasy face amongst that crowd. Not shown: Iron Sheik getting beaned by 1/3 a roll of SweeTarts hurled with incredible accuracy from on high, and the surly MSG security guards (note: mostly off duty cops) dragging out overly patriotic fans who hopped the rail post-victory.

• Like 3