DVDVR Message Board

For the BLOOD SUCKING FREAKS~!

DEAN

Denim and dress shirt Hokuto at the end tho. Love the line about giving Hokuto water for the dying by Aja.

I've been making my way through the '93 Hokuto set that's been around for a while and there was a Hotta/Hokuto vs. Aja/Bull match that's hand-held footage from May or so of that year. Really good with the former Gokumon-to women beating the shit out of Hokuto for 99% of the match, focusing on the injured shoulder that was such a huge part of all of Hokuto's matches from that period. Hotta looked pretty good in there too.

edti: Jesus, even for Zenjo of that timeframe... it's a fuckin' work, brother! Those shotei and punches were disgusting.

Edited by Jiji

That is reckless. Not her hardest by a long shot, but a stiff, stiff roundhouse kick to the jaw like that and Aja didn't even see it coming. I have a high tolerance for stiffsky work but this match is crossing even that threshold. 

1 minute ago, Jiji said:

That is reckless. Not her hardest by a long shot, but a stiff, stiff roundhouse kick to the jaw like that and Aja didn't even see it coming. I have a high tolerance for stiffsky work but this match is crossing even that threshold. 

There is a bit of turnabout is fair play with Aja. There was a match from May 92 where Hokuto is tagging with Mita against Jungle Jack where Aja hits Mita with a spinning backfist, and Mita is out on her feet to the point where she is reaching for shit that ain't there. The match just completely falls apart from there. Then, there is the match from the Queendom show from March 94, which I think is referenced in the above video, where I'm pretty sure Aja legit KOs Kandori with a high kick like she's Mirko CroCop to the point where Kandori kinda seizes up like a fencing response. How Kandori continued that match, I have no idea. There are other instances of Aja hurting people legit.

That's why I find it funny the other day that Meltzer is talking about WWF was holding Aja back or whatever on Twitter and how WWF people backstage were mad she was showing the other talent up. She was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY too reckless. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Weren't quite a few of the early 90s joshi stars reckless? 

That era between the Crush Gals and before the next/last boom period is kinda marred by sprints with a whole lotta stiff shots and plenty of no selling. That was the genesis of what you would see later. For example, the main event of that Survival Shout in Korakuen card that set up the Aja vs. Bull cage match. It's a great match, but rewatching it a couple nights ago, it was just too brutal. There was this weird moment that I only noticed in the last rewatch where towards the end Bison has taken such a beating in the match that she kinda basically postures like she's taking a knee to Bull whose standing over her ready to dish out some more punishment. Think Cotto vs. Margarito I. Like she has physically given up and doesn't want to take any more punishment. Bull kinda doesn't know what to do and just kinda walks away IIRC. You kinda feel for Bison because that's the only way she could protect herself without completely breaking character. FWIW Grizzly can hardly stand up at the end. That's probably why the finish was so weak (Bison just german suplexes Grizzly and that's it but then again the focal point was suppose to be other two women). A lot of this stuff just set a bad precedent.

BTW I totally loathe the throw your opponent to their corner and bring the other person in without tagging in that era. That didn't age well. 

• Like 1

They were in it for a good/rough time, not a long time, so I think with the mandated retirement age of 26 they wrestled like there was no tomorrow. Most of them worked very stiff but there were times when it crossed the line into really dangerous for one's well being territory like the above match. I'm fine with the slaps and the roughhouse strikes, generally speaking though there are exceptions. It's the head and neck spikes that happened so often that make me cringe. Or, the above example with Kimura. Where the wrestler has reached their breaking point for pain/suffering/damage and can't not continue because of the bushido mentality that is so pervasive in Japanese society, especially women trying to destroy gender norms. Thankfully that didn't happen often. 

In watching the Hokuto '93 set, even the famous first Kandori match doesn't really cross that line. It's mostly the blood and arm selling that is so amazing. Don't get me wrong. They beat the shit out of each other but I was never fearing for their long-term health beyond Hokuto's shoulder constantly getting worked on. Kong's uraken was consistently dangerous. Yamada and Hotta's kicks were really bad more often than not too. We know those heavy slaps can cause concussions of course.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, DEAN said:

Nightmare Danny Davis just makes the cut!

This is a Got Dang fast moving face v, heel match, just textbook.  Love it. The interview inserts look like something out of Ultima IX: Acension, facial-animation-wise, due to the ancient video quality (which I dig as well).

- RAF

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

EDIT: Out of respect to professional wrestling I can't post that. 

VINCE RUSSO NUDES?!?!!?

• Haha 1

Passing thought as I started this video. What do you think it was like being one of those ladies that was asked to present flowers at wrestling matches in Japan when you know that psycho Abdullah the Butcher is going to hit the ring? Like, almost every single fucking time they just have to run away.

Anyway here's a shocker, Terry Funk bleeds like crazy. Like, a lot. Even for Terry Funk.

• Like 2

Oh man!  The Sheepherders are sooo hardcore.  I remember Mark Youngblood and Jay Youngblood, but I can't remember the name of other guy in this.  Not that it matters.  Luke Miller is Most Blooded in this, I believe.  I give you.....this....

• Like 3

Blood loss stoppage! That's what I'm talking about. 

Also, props to whatever Youngblood dove crotch first into that low blow from the Sheepherder above, that quite literally took some balls...

EDIT: Well I'll be damned, here we have an example of Harley's ability to bust an eyebrow, just like Foley wrote about. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Blood loss stoppage! That's what I'm talking about. 

Also, props to whatever Youngblood dove crotch first into that low blow from the Sheepherder above, that quite literally took some balls...

EDIT: Well I'll be damned, here we have an example of Harley's ability to bust an eyebrow, just like Foley wrote about. 

Relatively sane babyface Terry Funk is delightful - I like to imagine I can see all the seething craziness a-burbulin' under the surface.

A match like this is so full of great moves, sells, spots, mannerisms, stories, psychology and spots to learn from and/or swipe. In my imaginary virtual COVID-era on-line school of wrestling, this is part of the curriculum. 

Just watching this takes me back to going to Gem Spa (NYC corner candy/magazine/egg cream bodega) to look for The Monster Times and be entranced by the bloody rasslin magazine covers...

- RAF

• Like 1