DVDVR Message Board

I see on Newsarama that yet another team of artists and writers, this time from the justly-lauded Kuebert School are going to try and revive that most ill-fated of characters. Look folks, this is a RADIO (and later TV) character who never appeared in the pulps, so this whole "great pulp tradition" is just so much horseshit. Every single comicbook incarnation of the Green Hornet has lost money and I say that as someone who has a huge collection (if not all, maybe I do have all, I'd have to check and they're in storage) of his last run. Here's the deal, he has never ever been more than a pale (green) imitation of the Shadow; and if you can't make a go of it with Mike fucking Kaluta drawing the Shadow, let's just forget about the Green Hornet shall we? 

I only say this because I hate to see talented people sabotage their careers by starting off with a guaranteed loser of a book. If you need to learn your professional chops, work for Bill Blackbeard at AC for a few months or something; very few people will see it, so it can be decent practice. 

i've read a healthy dose of the Green Hornet comics, and at best they're ok/solid/good. i haven't read a really killer story from any of the incarnations. Maybe this one will be different? i likely won't buy it to find out.

also heard rumors of them making another live action movie. didn't hear details (like who is playing Kato?) but don't have high hopes for that either.

i'm still waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for them to release the 60s tv show on dvd.

Edited by twiztor

11 minutes ago, twiztor said:

i've read a healthy dose of the Green Hornet comics, and at best they're ok/solid/good. i haven't read a really killer story from any of the incarnations. Maybe this one will be different? i likely won't buy it to find out.

also heard rumors of them making another live action movie. didn't hear details (like who is playing Kato?) but don't have high hopes for that either.

i'm still waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for them to release the 60s tv show on dvd.

That would be cool. I was 9 or 10 when the series ran and it was the coolest fucking thing imaginable. 

59 minutes ago, The Natural said:

I remember the Batman and Green Hornet 60s TV crossover episode.

Yeah, that was amusing, two of the most wooden actors in history in the lead roles and Bruce Lee and Burt Ward as the supporting characters. Poor Burt Ward, I don't think he had another role after that series until "Robot Ninja".

I’ve wanted to check out the Batman 66/Hornet crossover sequel Kevin Smith wrote. The covers by Alex Ross were gorgeous. I’m also curious about the series adapted from Smith’s screenplay for the aborted Green Hornet movie he was supposed to direct before the Gondry movie. I’d always thought it just went into development hell, but I recently heard Smith talking about walking away. He’d gotten creeped out by the studio making him take meetings with toy manufacturers about including more shit they could market, as well as branches of the military to convince him to include recruitment messaging.