DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 6/24/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Ed1-pdf.jpg

Eddie Ellner actually exists. He's a yoga instructor now. He got in the news after leaving PWI for pouring his father's ashes at Yankee Stadium.

Edited by Ace

I'm just glad they redid the Taz soundbite on the Cage opener. (Even if they had Taz do another pre recorded segment that was Krusty level phoned in, followed by his awesome promo on Mox).

I still don't rate the FTR truck pull up bit. Aside from the illogical part where they drive effectively from the arena car park to around to a safe area of ringside to rev the engine and then jump out. They're ages away from the ring. Looks just as silly as Cody did revving his truck. Appreciate that it made sense for the stealing the car post match, but cars from a safe distance looks lame.

Shida looked awesome tonight. Great way to show her off as a bad ass.

Why is Hager still on the shows?

25 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Quoted, because that's a phenomenal take ??

Thanks!  I mean good lord.  Those kicks are pillow soft and more convoluted than a Backseat Boyz highspot sequence.  Dude is 6'5" 275, can be billed as 6'7" 300 in the grand wrestling tradition.  He should be all powerbombs, chokeslams, and nasty destruction.  Sid ain't need no back leg front kick.

• Like 5

Loving this weeks Dynamite. Wardlow can only go to the top I think. Give him some 80s tapes of agile big men to study and watch him  become AEWs headliner down the road, barring injuries 

Cabana and Dark Order, nothing but love. The backstage promo when Brodie challenged SCU and Cabana is kinda unsure at first, but then he's completely onboard by the end, golden. 

Janela/Kiss I want more of them on Dynamite against established teams. Quick 1 offs with Best Friends and SCU before they wade into the deep end. Their tag chemistry is getting there and I'd hope they tag for a good long time

Okay now with the Mongo twitter account closing up, please, tell me how do we get a Pants free JR account on Twitter of him losing his mind over the gentlemen. Lmao between Trent last week and Ortiz this week with the Latin Matinee Idol ?I'd die laughing at audio clip tweets of good ole JR going pants free calling men's matches?x?

Shida killing her opponent like that and going Optimus Prime "you got the touch" mode against Penelope and Sabian was great! So seamless and I hope she hangs on to the belt til next year, my personal preference and wish

Baker continues to kill me with her antics. This is how you keep someone relevant while injured. Character work imo on the level of Jericho, not afraid to be a goof on TV, doesn't let her ego get in the way. She mentioned on the AEW podcast with Schiavone that she consults with Jericho on promos and character development and it shows. 

Popping on Dark after the Jericho promo, might edit this with more thoughts. Great Dynamite  episode imo

• Like 3

Wardlow/Luchasaurus did not need the lumberjack stipulation at all. MLF and Jungle Boy/Stunt at ringside would have accomplished the exact same thing.

Shida's match/angle with Penelope was good.

Page was awesome in the promo. Kenny was there. Best Friends were meh. Chuck is a bad wrestler.

Booker Cody making his secondary title more important than the world title shit has got to go. Nightmare Family sucks. Press conference angle for this title stinks.

I like the Colt/Dark Order angle so far.

FTR's truck is stupid, and Christopher Daniels looks like a guy who should be an agent these days. After match promo wasn't good.

I feel bad they are using Britt Baker to try and get Big Swole over. Swole sucks. Find a better babyface for this slot. Britt/Reba/Tony is still amusing.

Matt Hardy is a bad addition to the roster. His in-ring skills are done.

Cassidy/Jericho to end the show was great.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, D.Z said:

NXT: 786,000

AEW: 633,000

Not surprised. AEW may be putting on some ‘fun‘ shows but they’ve lost a lot of direction of late and are investing time in some absolute lost causes. Matt Hardy in singles action in 2020, against Santana no less? Flogging the dead horse that is Dark Order (which has been going on for more than a year now!). Why would you expect large numbers of people to tune in to watch this? Some of those decisions are TNA-of-old bad and they really need to tighten it up. With all the incredible young talent they have access to there is absolutely no need/excuse for it. 

Edited by A_K

Matt Hardy was originally supposed to face Sammy Guevara, since they’re loosely feuding, but that was obviously changed last minute.

Dark Order has gotten really good within the past month, so I don’t know what you’re talking about there.

They routinely beat NXT in the ratings, in case you haven’t been following, so to chalk one week up to “this and this sucks and that’s why they didn’t win” is kind of weird, since it’s been a winning formula so far.

• Like 3

It was a big win for NXT though. I mean I know it's the demographics that really count, and yes AEW still win in the 18-49 range - but it was their worst performance in that range.

Very easy to try to project one's own feelings onto that number, but I tend to think AEW's audience is more precarious than NXT's - especially in light of #SpeakingOut.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Matt Hardy was originally supposed to face Sammy Guevara, since they’re loosely feuding, but that was obviously changed last minute.

Dark Order has gotten really good within the past month, so I don’t know what you’re talking about there.

They routinely beat NXT in the ratings, in case you haven’t been following, so to chalk one week up to “this and this sucks and that’s why they didn’t win” is kind of weird, since it’s been a winning formula so far.

The numbers don't lie. Dark Order? Matt Hardy? None of this is going to generate strong engagement. It just isn't, and I will be very very happy to eat crow if it does. Given the investment into the project & the talent available its a poor offering. There is a pretty clear window to be a disrupter and position themselves as more mature, adult-orientated content than WWE whose family-friendliness ties their hands behind their backs. Matt Hardy & Dark Order are certainly not it.

The ratings have regressed since Jan/Feb. You can attribute that to no-crowds & lockdown which of course has played a big factor, but NXT are trending back to pre-lockdown numbers and in fact their last 2 shows have been beating out much their Jan/Feb statistics. AEW are not showing any momentum to be moving back to those numbers. Besides, NXT is positioned as pretty clearly the 3rd WWE brand; with the amount of investment into the project and talent available, AEW should be surpassing it pretty cleanly to be moving forward at pace. A comparison of AEW salaries vs NXT would I imagine not be too pretty.

Edited by A_K

Loving the overreaction to one week’s ratings.  None of the Elite wrestled on this show.  Moxley couldn’t be there.  It was kind of a shrug of a show.

If Fyter Fest flops, then we can start chin stroking over what’s “wrong” with the promotion.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, EVA said:

Loving the overreaction to one week’s ratings.  None of the Elite wrestled on this show.  Moxley couldn’t be there.  It was kind of a shrug of a show.

If Fyter Fest flops, then we can start chin stroking over what’s “wrong” with the promotion.

"Chin stroking". What a passive aggressive form of derision. I think its a pretty fair discussion point to ask whether some of the recent additions & focus of TV time are weakening content rather than strengthening it. 2 out of the past 3 shows have rated in the 600ks of viewership. I'd be surprised if that is judged remotely good enough, in anyone's book. The analysis then shifts to the content. Personally I think maintaining any emphasis on the likes of Dark Order & Matt Hardy (who had a novel value of a few weeks) will continue to sink it, or at least keep it back from those c. 1 mil numbers that you'd hope they aim for minimum as we come out of the lockdown period (as said, NXT has shown movement back to pre-Lockdown views so its a fair ask). If you don't, that's cool and your opinion. Let's see how it gets on.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

i'm not seeing enough praise for that Best Friends-Hangman&Omega video package. my favorite part of the night.

skipped Matt Hardy. i've got essentially zero interest in what he's offering. Also, i don't think he should keep going over guys in singles matches.

i enjoy the Dark Order stuff and am interested in where this goes (the whole bit, not just the stuff with Colt)

I was not a fan of this show the first time around.  I thought it was sloppy and goofy and poorly programmed.  So much so that after reading mostly positive reviews I decided to give it another go.  The second watch was much, much better.  

Wardlow-Luchasaurus opening worked a lot better when I could move my focus from the silliness of booking a gimmick match (once again) before ever having an initial straight one on one.  Also, I was annoyed that the lumberjacks weren't even doing their job.  I mean it was so obvious that Schiavone couldn't understand what Cutler was doing trying to get at Wardlow to throw him in the ring.  All that said, these two worked pretty well together.  I always get a kick out of the Luchasaurus-softer Stan Lane comparison, but I thought his offense looked better than usual here.  That's the best he's looked IMO since the first few shows. It did however look like he took that F10 really hard by landing on his knees - it was not a great visual.  They are doing a nice job of slowly building Wardlow.  I don't think he's quite ready to be pushed high up the card, but when he is he'll no doubt be a bonafide player.  The highlight for me here was the fierce Jungle Boy diving spear.  Marko's dive was pretty sweet too.  As was the Wardlow-Marko toss.  The shooting star not so much, but then I really hate guys standing around to catch somebody.  They need better camera and switching to help disguise this nonsense.    

Taz analysis segment is a nice idea, but they need to tighten it up.  

Shida segment was good.  She looked badass making a b line for her foes at ringside.  I know it's likely not happening, but I'd love to see her steamroll Ford.  I like Penelope, but she's not anywhere near Shida's level.     

Cody-Hager press conference seems to have been a divisive segment.  I loved it.  I thought Arn was great.  So to Cody.  I loved that he seemed to be using more s's than usual showcasing that 'Lucky Lisp'.  Hager was great here.  As was his heel wife.  And Dustin.  But would have liked to see Brandi get fired up and into Hager's wife face?    

The Janela-Kiss segment was also divisive.  It felt a bit too goofy for me on first watch, but I kinda dug it second time around.  It's definitely goofy, but it was kinda fun.  I like the visual (and idea it pushes) of Sonny taking down a bunch of 'backstage Joey Ryan's'.  That said, would've been better to program this earlier in the show rather than just prior to the match.  

Kiss/Janela-Cabana/Lee was good.  I really like this Cabana-Lee mid-card storyline.  Kiss and Janela looked pretty good out there save for the cutesy double dive-'hey everybody let's watch them hit us' spot.  I did really like the finish here - not so much the discus clothesline, but Lee giving Colt the win.  As a long time fan of Cabana, I'm really happy to see him taking good advantage of this opportunity and getting some good booking around him.  Lee is just awesome.  I love his work in and out of the ring.  Really happy that so many are coming around on the Dark Order.  Hopefully that'll mean recognizing what a terrific team Uno and Grayson are too.    

I like that they're sticking with the AEW Dark results ticker, and further showing highlights like the Spears package.  That said, pretty dumb logic here.  They're exposing the fact that Spears is loading his glove ?  To what, make the refs look like bigger idiots going forth?  Also, if they're going to make Dark noteworthy for the Dynamite broadcast it's time to put a little more effort into it (see give guys promo time). 

FTR-SCU was really solid.  Love seeing Daniels back in the tag combo.  I don't however understand why we haven't seen Scorpio in what seems like ages.  FTR are tremendous and I'm digging everything they're doing.  Yeah, the truck pull-up entrance is a bit silly, but I'm kinda okay with that.  Really liked seeing the Butcher/Blade get some mic time this week.  The Lucha Bros timing there was incredibly bad and dragged down what should have been a hot segment.  Tho, I love the Lucha Bros and am so stoked to see them back.  

The Besties/Omega-Page video was alright.  I like that they're doing these.  Omega was fine and Page was good here.  The Best Friends really ought to be encouraged to do better.  I know they're playing slackers but I feel like they both have better promos in them than this.  Taylor in particular.  

Cage-Cruz was an impressive squash, but I don't quite understand with Cage on his 'path of cage' to the title why he wouldn't be fed at least a low card name.  Even Cutler would have made more sense than random jobber.  Taz's post match promo was really good, and I'm so pleased to see Taz back doing what he is does best.  Taz the heel manager is so much better than Taz the chubby commentator. His vernacular is 10 fold better when he's got a chip on his shoulder.  

Britt continues to shine outside of the ring.  The bit with Swole felt a bit Nickelodeon teen sketch comedy, but I suppose that hits the demo.  

Hardy-Santana was fine.  Hardy's looking brittle out there.  I don't mind him going over a tag wrestler, but that roll up following a fully impacted running DVD by Santana was just plain stupid.  I hate unnecessary no sells.  SO to Matt hobbling around pretending like his leg isn't fucked up.  Why?  Just go with it.  I kinda dig Matt for comic relief, but they oughtta keep him in tags. 

OC-Jericho was a good segment.  Dug the Jericho promo, but would have much prefered this earlier in the 'wrestling' show.  Not a fan of Main Event interview segments - that reeks WWE.  Tho, the OC bleeding closing visual certainly makes for a good argument for it.  That said, I'm not a fan of these 'face to face' confrontation bookings.  Much prefer to see Jericho cut a promo and have OC interupt.  I mean that's how he rolls anyway.  Not to be too complain-y here.  Jericho-OC has me hooked in and am very excited for this match.  Side note: they really need get OC better entrance music.  I love him coming out to 'Jane' by the Starship on the Indies, but a re-creation would be fine.  And much better than using the Best Friends music.  

Overall, vastly enjoyed the second watch to first watch.  The shows have certainly gotten a lot stronger in this small crowd situation.  Not a huge surprise in the ratings dip tho.  I don't think it's so much because of the product.  I think a lot of potential viewers aren't terribly comfortable or interested in watching people getting aggressive and physical right now.  I also think it's good for them to lose in the overall ratinsg to NXT once and awhile.  I think it does nothing but motivate them to do better.

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Nothing wrong with AEW.  Sometimes you have to tip your cap..  in this case,  AEW while still a fun show didn't have the marquee match ups that NXT had advertised and delivered. 

These next two weeks will be interesting.  Fyter Fest Night 1 is a stacked card.  It should do very well..  

• Like 1