DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 6/24/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Echoing others thoughts on Luchasaurus/Wardlow being great fun, enjoyed the shooting star dive. Shida squashing her opponent in a little over 10 seconds and then going out to whip ass was totally badass, loved all of this. Great build to the Ford match and Shida came off like a star. FTR/SCU was solid. Liked the press conference seg, Allie being there  as just part of the family was funny. Britt was hilarious as usual along with Rebel, trying to use a leaf blower to save Britt. Liked the Joey/Sonny movie finishing up after all, great introduction to them teaming, but then they get no entrance like they're just jobbers in the ring. Another great Taz promo. They actually redid the "Path of Cage" intro to his theme to make it sound a bit better. Pretty awesome closing segment/brawl overall. I would think Jericho wins in the end with OC standing tall here but should be good stuff regardless. Good stuff as usual 

Edited by DreamBroken
  • Like 2

Bleeding from Ear, Week Three! 

Swole dumping the trash on Baker was weak sauce but then old girl attempting to run her off with A LEAF BLOWER was priceless. 

EDIT: We need a still of Jericho with the TV on top of him

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Taz promo was awesome, Britt segment funny including the leaf blower lol, ftr/scu was a really great match. I’m sure it was planned for some point and they just did it here. Great stuff. Shida post match beat down was awesome. Super happy lucha bros are back. Overall really enjoyed the show and I can’t wait for Cassidy vs Jericho. I was thinking it could main event the first show but Cody/tnt title makes sense. 

Scary news about Renee. If she has it seems pretty likely Moxley does as well. Taz can just cut a new promo and they can make a #1 contender match that could still be good. It’s not a real ppv anyway. Or with a paying crowd. 

Edit: Also all those fans/employees in the stands at the end yelling all around each other isn’t a good look right now at all. Those weren’t all employees either. 

Edited by matt925

I want to see that Shida every week. Wow!

I don't think I've this this sustained good tag team wrestling since maybe the Steiner Brother days. Maybe the Hardys/E&C/Dudleys. I didn't get to see FTR's run in NXT so I think they are great. Lucha Bros were the biggest reason I stuck with AEW to begin with because the Bucks are dicks. I enjoyed the Joey/Kiss match. Kiss had some very cool offense. They keep making me care about the new tag teams. Great job AEW!

I miss Darby.

They are hell bent on turning this Dark Order storyline around and I give them credit, it's been well done the last few weeks.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Edit: Also all those fans/employees in the stands at the end yelling all around each other isn’t a good look right now at all. Those weren’t all employees either. 

They’ve had a small crowd of friends and family since before Double Or Nothing and no issues have popped up like WWE has had. QT and Moxley‘s cases occurred in their every day lives.

Yeah, dude. Fair play to them getting the Dark Order on track. That match could've gone so many ways. I've been conditioned to expect Cabana to quickly turn on the Dorks but the allure of winning sinking in is way more interesting. When he finally tells Mr. Brodie to kick rocks it'll be way more meaningful. Sonny Kiss and Janela looked good too and while they lost, I think they'll be a good team for a decent while yet. Not sure I love them losing and then immediately getting destroyed by a giant, setting up a last minute match in which Janela has zero chance to win though. 

If Mox is a no go, what are the chances they have Cage wrestle Archer for his title shot (they don't do much heel v heel though) or even have them tag and work Kiss/Janela? I can't see Moxley not having the virus unless Renee was quarantined immediately and even then. It'll be interesting to see how they pivot out of this. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Casey said:

They’ve had a small crowd of friends and family since before Double Or Nothing and no issues have popped up like WWE has had. QT and Moxley‘s cases occurred in their every day lives.

Things are getting a lot worse, real quick right now. I cringed during the brawl up the stairs. Just my thoughts. 

"that's your girl, you should take her to the woodshed sometime" JR to Tony about Britt. Unless I seriously misheard, that's really not good! 

2 great spears in the first match, one from wardlow in the corner and one from jungle Boy to MJF. Looking forward to that tag. Best Friends wearing lumberjack shirts, and getting changed back to normal gear later - that's good attention to detail!

Kiss and Janela look an interesting team, liked the vignette. Really can't see Colt joining dark order, expect a swerve on that.

Neither of FTR are in the shape of Trent, but Dax has a definite belly on him. Where's JR'S criticism there? Does that make Cash the "alpha" of the team. Yes I'm still salty about the comments on Chucky T last week.

Nice video package for tag title match. Love seeing a little fire from Best Friends. Hangman great as usual, "them boys are good. I'ma still whip their asses"

Tony had some fabulous looks to the side as he was communicating with Britt.

Really enjoy what they're doing with Jericho and OC. So happy to see AEW taking the chance on something different like OC and for him to close the show 2 weeks running standing tall. Makes me thi k Jericho goes over but I think OC is on an upward trajectory and this will help. 

• Like 3

Shida punched Kip Sabian so hard she knocked a lens out of his sunglasses.  I love her so much.

And yeah, Lucha Bros taking the place of Superbad Squad made that match 100000% more interesting.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Peck said:

Felt a little sick to my stomach hearing Justin Roberts' voice tonight. 

Hearing "Liz Hunter and Matt Brock from Pro Wrestling Illustrated" during the Press Conference almost made up for it.

From what I remember when stuff about him came out I'm surprised this kind of fell through the cracks.  I need to follow up and see what came of it but I remember it seeming like something worth at least sitting him out for a bit to get this sorted out.

But is it bad my first thought with the PWI people was "Wait, they're real people?"  Considering the magazine's history for having fake names it always weirds me out seeing/hearing anybody from them.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

But is it bad my first thought with the PWI people was "Wait, they're real people?"  Considering the magazine's history for having fake names it always weirds me out seeing/hearing anybody from them.

Brock and Hunter are both fictitious. Not sure who did their "voices" last night but I think it was just a cool wink-wink to the past. I loved it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Peck said:

Brock and Hunter are both fictitious. Not sure who did their "voices" last night but I think it was just a cool wink-wink to the past. I loved it.

Nice.  I know Brock was for sure fictional and assumed Liz was too.  Only ones I know are real are of course Apter (who's a really awesome guy to talk to) and Stu Saks.  Everybody else who the hell knows.  But I'm currently reading Apter's book now so that may shed some light.

As for the show I at first didn't know if I wanted to watch due to all that's going on but glad I did.  It was a fun show.  I did fall asleep during Matt/Santana so may need to re-watch that.  I was barely awake for the end but do remember Jericho going through the table and Orange standing tall.  I know somebody says this at least once but man imagine how it would have been if the crowd was there.  They would have chanted for him at the end with him standing there taking it all in.  Fucking COVID.

• Like 1

I'm not getting the uneasyness of the crowd brawl or the pull apart spots. AEW tests everyone for Covid before they go in. Everyone in the building is confirmed to be negative. If none of them have the virus, lumberjack matches, pull aparts, crowd brawls... it's all relatively safe and unassuming. I'd get it if they were just doing temp checks like WWE had been. But everyone gets legit tested. So where is the danger?

• Like 1

CROWDWATCH: Best Friends actually dressed like lumberjacks!  Some guy who looks like Tom Magee?  A douchey looking guy hanging with Ricky Starks who kind of looks like the pen-pineapple-pineapple-pen guy.

The lumberjack match was a thing.  Wardlow's default stance/movement is the same as Brock Lesnar from PS2 Here Comes the Pain and that's cool.  Lumberjacks don't do the thing they're supposed to.  Instead, they catch.  Fenix needs every match to be a lumberjack match.  His career will last longer that way.  I still don't like Luchasaurus working like a less impactful Stan Lane instead of being a monster.

The quick women's match, then brawl, was great.  Kip Sabian is a great wimpy stooge.

Cody does nothing for me.  Since time immemorial, the iconography of wrestling has been this: if you are wearing an expensive suit, have bleached hair, a hot woman, a manager, and an entourage, YOU.  ARE. A. HEEL.  Cody out there dressed like that, with his huge shit eating grin and mouthful of caps, cutting promos about hope and common men and all that shit was so fucking dissonant.  His heel turn can't come fast enough.  Or does Cody think this is honestly a babyface act?  If so, he's the only one.

The two PWI references were a little much.  One is good, two is Cody Old School Cosplay Night bullshit.

Did Cody say he would defend every week?

Sweet fucking tag match.  When FTR hit the Veg-A-Matic, I'd hoped my idea for them to win with an old time finish in every macth to prove they are students of the tag team game was coming true.  The 8 man should be tremendous.  BTW is it well known that Dax and Cash is meant to rhyme with Ax and Smash?  FTR calling out JR because they're not tall or jacked was funny, in a JR-as-Vince-proxy sort of way.

Janella/Kiss segment was very Lucha Underground and I don't know how I feel about it.  It was done well but does that wok for this kind of show?  Good match, though.  I've heard Colt has an actual angle planned so I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Very good video package for BF vs Omega/Page.  BF never won a tag title anywhere?  I need to check on that.  I know they won the PWG DDT4 tournament but they didn't follow that up with a title win?

I kind of don't think Mox will make Fighter Fest, given the discussion on WOR this morning.

Santana/Hardy was meh.  To be honest I was reading DVDVR on my phone then.

JR WRESTLER PHYSIQUE KINK WATCH: JR drooled over how Santana is filling out.  Bonus points for mentioning Santana growing out his hair and looking like a "matinee idol."  Does anyone under 60 say "matinee idol?"  I should count myself lucky he didn't say Hardy won with a twenty three skiddoo, I guess.

I enjoyed the end segment but AEW is going to wear out their welcome fast if Main Event Talking Segments become a regular thing.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

BTW is it well known that Dax and Cash is meant to rhyme with Ax and Smash? 

The guys really do their best to give their props to the tag-teams that inspired them in the past, from the fake names they use to Dash Wilder's boots that have Minnesota Wrecking Crew stripes on them.

It doesn't surprise me that they would pay apt tribute to Ax since Bill Eadie is a huge patron of the indys in the Carolinas.

• Like 2