DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 6/24/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Oh there's a show tonight:  

-AEW Women’s Champion Hikaru Shida in action.

-Cody defends the TNT Championship.

-FTR vs. Christopher Daniels and Frankie Kazarian.

-Matt Hardy vs. Santana.

-Brodie Lee and Colt Cabana vs. Sonny Kiss and Joey Janela. ?

-Wardlow vs. Luchasaurus in a lumberjack match.

-Brian Cage in action.

“Them boys are good... they’re good. I mean... I’ll still whoop their ass, but they’re good”

Bleeding OC with the sunglasses is one of the coolest visuals to close out a wrestling show in a long time.

85407374-FF55-41-FF-BC05-FC41-C4090-FCE.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 9

Wardlow/Luchasaurus was a stupid big dumb spotfest where they did a sort-of-but-not-really lumberjack match and I enjoyed it very much. It was like ECW for kids, innofensive fun. Looking forward to the follow up tag match. Wardlow is eventually going to turn on MJF after getting slapped or something, and it's going to be good. Luchasaurus is a huge guy but all his stuff looks pillow soft. It's fine for what it is and this was a lot of fun.

I actually really enjoyed the Hikaru Shida squash/brawl segment. Shida decking Sabian and busting his sunglasses was fucking great. Simple and effective. I was afraid they were going to do some dumb shit where Shida wins a meaningless squash then gets beat down, which does nothing for your champion at all, but this was far superior to that and accomplished everything it needed to in a short space.

The Cody/Hager segment was... different, for pro wrestling. I didn't hate it. Having things not descend into a pull apart brawl like every boxing press conference like this in fucking history was actually a swerve.

They're doing the "why is this now in director stance" movie shit again with Janella/Kiss and it is still stupid and bad. It doesn't fit with the rest of the show. I don't care how well it is produced or shot, it just doesn't fit. I don't like when a wrestling show jumps around in tone between "a wrestling show" and "a movie". I understand fully this doesn't bother most people and I'm just being a grumpy ass middle aged man.

Brodie Lee's bullshit warlock robe he wore during that entrance couldn't look less cool if you tried. I know multiple people who LARP and none of them would wear this shit to one with a straight face because it's beneath the quality of work they do themselves. The match was fine. It made the point that Brody Lee is above all these other people. Until Brody Lee is chasing a title of some kind this angle is kind of filler-ish but it's working as a hold over.

SCU vs FTR was a good match in a vacuum but I'd prefer it to be less 50/50 if FTR are supposed to be The Hot Shit that they say they are. Still if you just want to watch a good match, this is a good match. AEW has a ton of good tag teams to watch, that's honestly one of the things that sticks out the most to me the first few weeks I've paid attention. Pretty much all the matchups are good. But at some point I think they need to do a little more to establish a pecking order beyond just "who hit the last big spot". Still, an enjoyable wrestling match. There's nothimg wrong with the actual work. This was absolutely better than the tag title match on RAW two nights ago, which basically had one good spot in it and like 6 minutes of nothing, I was flabbergasted when I found out they'd been building up to that for ages. Post match segment here was good. That is going to be a wild 8-man at Fyter Fest.

"They like to hug each other. ... Nothing wrong with that." - Tony Schiavone

Every single time I see Jon Moxley on AEW TV so far he looks higher than a kite. I have concerns.

Brian Cage annihilated a jobber. Thank you for your service, jobber. Giving Cage a mouthpiece is a smart play because the second Cage talks his aura vanishes for me. Taz is a really good heel manager. Getting fired up and threatening people on the mic is absolutely his wheelhouse and I liked this promo. 

Britt Baker's gimmick of passing notes to Tony with that stupid fucking pully is great.

Santana/Matt Hardy was okay. I dig Matt Hardy as a crazy FMW wrestler, which is basically what the Broken thing is. Finishing sequence was a little weird. Match felt a bit discombobulated. Segment wasn't bad but could have gone better. I feel like these guys have way more interesting output in them.

My only problem with the last segment is the logic hole about why is a promotion letting these two guys come out here with no refs/security or anything which is a little weird. Everything else here was good. Chris Jericho opening a promo with a story about how the more you see someone the more you realize they are annoying and dumb is a BOLD PLAY for Chris fucking Jericho. I respect what I can only assume is the self-awareness. Classic Jericho. I thought Cassidy was actually really good here mocking the shit out of Chris, this was fun. Good brawl. This did a lot to raise my interest in seeing these guys wrestle. What's with all the ear bleeding in AEW?

• Like 2

I thought Wardlow/Luchasaurus was more fun than it had any right to be. I think both guys are clearly talented and if they can stay healthy and AEW plays their cards right, they can become big stars. My only nitpick, I did think doing three big diving crowd spots was a bit much. I think those big diving crowd spots into a bunch of dudes is pretty contrived anyway, and they did three in a row. I think had they saved that for Fyter Fest, it would've been better. Honestly, I think this match was so fun they kind of had it in reverse. Do the tag team match on Dynamite and the lumberjack match on PPV. 

Considering tonight's FTR match was originally supposed to be against the Natural Nightmares, we really got an even better matchup as a result, no offense to QT Marshall. That was a classy tag team match. My main issue? I thought the post-match promo was a little clunky. I get they want to do a slow build to FTR vs. Young Bucks and that's fine. Don't want to burn that out right away. At the same time, Butcher and Blade just seemed to stumble through that promo. Also, the camera guys totally messed up the Lucha Bros. reveal. I knew Pentagon sort of spoiled the return by tweeting that he was in Florida. I just sort of feel like the TV editing blew the shock of Lucha Bros. returning to surprise FTR, and then FTR turns around and sees them first before they attack. It wasn't terrible, but it seems like it was mis-timed.

I think Jericho totally needs to beat Orange Cassidy now. But if you're going to do a main event promo segment, that was a good way to do it. I think having a main event promo segment like this works fine, especially if the show is loaded upfront with quality matches. 

• Like 3

Really dug FTR/SCU, even if Daniels is a little slower these days. I think FTR's dedication to having a great match can sometimes lead them to make spots more complicated than they have to be.

I feel like Cage has one too many things going on but he's a perfect squash match wrestler. Best Taz promo so far too. I like the package and if he's not winning the title off Mox I hope they can keep the momentum up.

Matt Hardy as veteran gate keeper makes a lot of sense. I'm surprised he can still work as well as he can considering he was barely mobile a few years ago but since he's on the back nine of his career he may as well work with the younger talents and polish them up. He has become the Michael Hayes to Private Party, I hope he starts dressing in matching pants.

Great final shot of Orange Cassidy.

• Like 2

Felt a little sick to my stomach hearing Justin Roberts' voice tonight. 

Hearing "Liz Hunter and Matt Brock from Pro Wrestling Illustrated" during the Press Conference almost made up for it.

Edited by Peck
  • Like 3

The lumberjack match was fun, but I could have done without Luchasaurus' "OK shooting star press time... no not yet..... ok now.... damn it.... alright, on three. 1...2....3" spot. 

• Haha 5

Very enjoyable show despite there being one "good" match. Despite the blown timing, I'm so happy the Lucha Bros are back. Britt, main event angle, tag team hype video, Taz, and the women's brawl stood out in addition to the FTR match. 

edit: Tony said on the post-show that COVID has slowed down the plans for a video game a great deal. ?

Edited by Oyaji
  • Sad 1

Very enjoyable and quick show with some good wrestling.  Wardlow and Lucha worked their asses off in the opener, and I didn't expect to see such a decent match.  

After all these years, I finally remember how intense of a promo Taz is.  I do wonder if Cage's match with Mox is even going to happen though.  (I guess he might not be there, since Renee has COVID)

FTR/SCU was pretty incredible, and FTR continue to look like stars.  They may have taken a sizable pay decrease but I bet both of them are happy since in AEW tag teams can be seen as stars, and they can wrestle matches like this one pretty regularly.  It's impossible for teams in the WWE to be stars these days since the division is such a throwaway, and it's been that way for at least the last two decades.  Hell, they might've been released anyways if they had stayed and re-signed.  FTR vs. every other team is going to be straight fire.  That tag vignette with JR was real good, too.

Britt was good as usual, and Tony isn't a very good friend for not helping her out.

The Shida/Ford angle was pretty decent and intense, and Kip's missing lense was funny.

Cody's red suit was glorious, and the whole press conference angle was unique.  Hager looked decent and that's better than looking bad, and he seemed to be in his element.

The final angle was pretty good, and I have to think that OC is going over, and he definitely should.  Jericho has nothing to lose and a win for OC will continue his momentum.  I shudder to think of how the WWE would've handled OC, or anyone on this show for that matter.

The Hardy/Santana match wasn't much and it stinks seeing Santana lose.  Sammy not being there for the fight was disappointing, plus his karaoke for Jericho.  

Pretty great show, overall.  Nowadays, I don't even flip to NXT on commercials, and just stick to CNN.

Edited by notoriusvig
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, notoriusvig said:

I shudder to think of how the WWE would've handled OC, or anyone on this show for that matter.

Job them repeatedly to Baron Corbin then blame tnem for not "grabbing the brass ring" before releasing them

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

How long has this been a thing?!

I want to say it started right as the COVID shows started. I know they had Excalibur and JR on the post-show when they weren’t around, so that dates back to.... Late March/April?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fite messed up and the first few times it went to picture in picture, we got a black screen instead of the live feed. And they stopped commentating, so all we could hear was footsteps, slams and Sonny selling. Completely took me out of the match.