DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlers are trash "Allegedly"

People keep bringing up Marty and Osprey in regards to how badly they're fucking up. Not to excuse their behavior, but of all the talent that's at their level of popularity or notoriety and above, they're two of the dumbest fucking people in wrestling. It's not shocking to see either of them continuously shoot themselves in the foot. For fucks sake, Marty may as well be Charlie and Osprey may as well be Mac.

In this scenario, I then suppose that Aries is Dennis.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Craig H said:

People keep bringing up Marty and Osprey in regards to how badly they're fucking up. Not to excuse their behavior, but of all the talent that's at their level of popularity or notoriety and above, they're two of the dumbest fucking people in wrestling. It's not shocking to see either of them continuously shoot themselves in the foot. For fucks sake, Marty may as well be Charlie and Osprey may as well be Mac.

In this scenario, I then suppose that Aries is Dennis.

I thought Tweedledum and Tweedledee was pretty fair. I guess that makes Austin Aries the Mock Turtle or something...

5 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

After all my years as a fan of this sick business it takes an awful lot to appall me, an awful lot. Color me totally appalled by this.

At this point I won't be surprised to hear about dumping bodies in the alley Kumite-fashion.

Edited by OSJ

1 hour ago, Cristobal said:

Hold up. Is Wiggy doing any of the following things?

1. Refusing to platform stories of abuse at CZW shows or by CZW personnel or talent
  2. Claiming that CZW is fine and has no problems?
  3. Attempting to quash or denigrate victims or witnesses who are making allegations or speaking out about abuse at CZW?

Because if she is, then this is valid criticism and so be it. If she is not, then going at her because she is employed by CZW and has not experienced or witnessed abuse firsthand and has said so is bullshit.

From what I understand is that Janela is accusing her of being a hypocrite for reporting misdeeds in Chikara that she experienced personally and was told about by others she's keeping anonymous while not saying anything about the sketchy goings-on in CZW. The stories about dodgy behavior backstage in CZW and by DJ Hyde in particular have been circulating for a couple years now and Janela has never been shy about bringing up his beef with DJ/CZW. He seems to be of the mind she's complaining about the ethics of one company while working for another company known to be less ethical, but towing the "I haven't seen/heard anything bad myself while working there, so it's not happening" line. Whether or not she's keeping her head in the sand to stay in the good graces of her current employer or is completely unaware of any problematic behavior going on there is unknown and really isn't anyone's place to speculate on. I've been a fan of Joey for several years now, but he doesn't always come off as that practically intelligent and regardless of whether he has a point or not, this is pretty poor room-reading on his part.

• Like 1

I remember hearing so many underhanded and pathetic stories about Chikara and Quack in particular years back, but I've forgotten most of them. Hopefully, someone saved all the e-mails he used to send out critiquing everyone on all the shows and all the other stupid shit he apparently said.

Also, the legal age of consent has now been raised to 35 just to be safe.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, HumanChessgame said:

From what I understand is that Janela is accusing her of being a hypocrite for reporting misdeeds in Chikara that she experienced personally and was told about by others she's keeping anonymous while not saying anything about the sketchy goings-on in CZW. The stories about dodgy behavior backstage in CZW and by DJ Hyde in particular have been circulating for a couple years now and Janela has never been shy about bringing up his beef with DJ/CZW. He seems to be of the mind she's complaining about the ethics of one company while working for another company known to be less ethical, but towing the "I haven't seen/heard anything bad myself while working there, so it's not happening" line. Whether or not she's keeping her head in the sand to stay in the good graces of her current employer or is completely unaware of any problematic behavior going on there is unknown and really isn't anyone's place to speculate on. I've been a fan of Joey for several years now, but he doesn't always come off as that practically intelligent and regardless of whether he has a point or not, this is pretty poor room-reading on his part.

To be fair, Joey doesn't seem to be the sharpest pencil in the box if you know what I mean (and I'm sure you do.)

It is certainly possible to work in a place where some horrible shit is going on and be totally unaware of it. When I was a kid I worked at a fast-food job where the manager eventually went to prison for preying on underage girls and eventually small children, a totally sick fuck; but if you'd asked me I'd have said "Mr. Gonzalez is a great boss!" and I'd have meant it because I saw nothing that seemed inappropriate. He did all his shit well away from the restaurant.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I remember hearing so many underhanded and pathetic stories about Chikara and Quack in particular years back, but I've forgotten most of them. Hopefully, someone saved all the e-mails he used to send out critiquing everyone on all the shows and all the other stupid shit he apparently said.

I hate to admit this, but I eagerly await the shoot interview with Hallowicked.

There was a point in time where CHIKARA was my favorite company in the world and it also provided me with one of the best wrestling memories ever - the time El Generico lifted my son and held him out to the crowd who erupted in cheers.

Sometime after the weird hiatus/QuackDivorce weirdness, I could never get back into it. Most of the talent that I really enjoyed had left and didn't come back when the company started booking again. It made me feel like maybe some of the workers had gotten out of the bubble and realized they didn't want to go back.

So yeah I guess I'm in @Matt D's boat, and I'll just go back and watch old stuff where the damage is distant enough that I can live with it.

• Like 7

I generally had good dealings with Quack, but I was also paying him ad money. The one bad thing was when I had talked to him about sponsoring a show, but he quickly told me it was strictly a sold show and I had no input whatsoever in booking the card or even who was on the show. (Fair enough to be honest)

Given how many burnt bridges he had with folks (reckless, punk, hero...)., it's one of those "it cant always be everyone else fault"

(I speak as being one of those type of people too, well aware of living in a glass house here).

The news about Chikara specifically hurts me because It >STILL< was my idealized promotion. Quack was one of my favorites, and most of the people there I enjoyed watching them work.  Most of the other guys being called out just make me empathize with the victims, and go "yep, people suck" but with Chikara I feel like Obi-Wan to Ankin.  

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I have very little problem distancing myself from the real people I'm watching versus the roles that they are playing for my (and others) entertainment. I can watch a Kevin Spacey movie and enjoy it because he's a fine actor even if a total scumbag. We've always been told that Quack is a swell dude, but something about him has always seemed (how should I say this?), forced? Insincere? A little off? Now all three of those characteristics are as common to wrestlers as a Dusty finish, so I've never really given it a second thought.

• Like 2

• RIPPA pinned this topic
1 hour ago, OSJ said:

Maybe I'm just jaded, but I have very little problem distancing myself from the real people I'm watching versus the roles that they are playing for my (and others) entertainment. I can watch a Kevin Spacey movie and enjoy it because he's a fine actor even if a total scumbag. We've always been told that Quack is a swell dude, but something about him has always seemed (how should I say this?), forced? Insincere? A little off? Now all three of those characteristics are as common to wrestlers as a Dusty finish, so I've never really given it a second thought.

You're a stronger willed guy than I am. I really struggle to appreciate art by anyone who I find out has done questionable stuff regardless of the medium.

23 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

I'm grappling right now with the fact that I've bought three different Marty Scrull t-shirts over the last few years.

No more wandering in your plague doctor's mask I guess.

14 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

Shouldn't the time travelers have warned us about this? 

Different universe, they split it by coming back or something. Use any multiversal theory needed.

• Like 1

In 5 years we’ll have CHIKARA: One Night Stand through WWE. Main event being Kings of Wrestling vs Sammy Zayn (they won’t let him do El Generico) & Shorty Ant (Shorty G in an ant costume).

1 hour ago, Ryan said:

And dads everywhere rejoiced!

Edited by OctopusCinema
  • Haha 2

There's a lot of naval-gazing about "who knew what about whom" but man, the murmurings about Chikara and Quackenbush have been around a LONG time. The  English wrestling scene was apparently a closed-circle of enabling assholes but as stuff comes out about Chikara probably good to call out people who ran interference for them, especially int the "wrestling media." 

Edited by Hagan