DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlers are trash "Allegedly"

Kang

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Reading this person's timeline is heartbreaking. She says she can't eat or even shower. 

(Edit: See original post)

At this point it would be easier to nuke the wrestling business and start anew from the ground up. I know it's likely just as bad everywhere else but the UK scene in particular, man. 

I scrolled down about 20-30 responses and wanted to walk into oncoming traffic.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

19 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

This is a great suggestion and I endorse it.

Thank you.  I can imagine it being tough to manage all this so I'm just trying to not be part of the problem.

21 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I'm not a legal expert, but what are the chances Joey Ryan winds up going to prison for this. I think Meltzer said on WOR that there's something like 16 different allegations against Joey at this point. In his case, it sounds like something needs to be done beyond firing him from various promotions.

Considering the authorities are looking into the incidents with British wrestlers I would think it's a matter of time before Joey ends up in jail as well.  I'll admit it, he had me fooled.  You hear interviews where he acts all soft-spoken and says he's completely different from the gimmick you see on TV.  After hearing that a couple time I believed it.  But now I think back random things like why he got divorced from his wife.  I'm hoping it was some relatively benign reason but my mind tends to wander when thinking about this.

As for Sammy liking a tweet we all have reasons for liking stuff.  For me most of the time it's a form of bookmarking so I can check something out later.  So while I'm hoping Craig's right in it being Photoshopped if it was real he could have done that to follow up on.  That or he has more to learn than I initially thought.

As for Marty I was bummed out when finding out about him last week but meant to ask for what he did.  The tweets posted just now showed just that and I just feel awful for the girl.  Looking back it's a good thing he didn't sign with AEW after all.

Edited by NikoBaltimore

I saw that Marty story earlier and it churned my stomach.  I’ve never been a big fan of his in the ring, but I always liked him as a dude outside of the ring, and now I just can’t.  Just horrible.

But I guess it shouldn’t come as a surprise that a dude who dubbed himself Party Marty was deeply involved in this sleazy side of the Britwres scene.

Edited by EVA
  • Like 1

Speaking of the Britwres, how ironic is it that Pete Dunne, who is aesthetically the sleaziest looking dude in the scene, is going to be the one big name British guy to emerge from this unscathed? *knockonwood*

Edited by EVA
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

Speaking of the Britwres, how ironic is it that Pete Dunne, who is aesthetically the sleaziest looking dude in the scene, is going to be the one big name British guy to emerge from this unscathed? *knockonwood*

Dude, don't jinx it.

• Like 2

I dunno about anybody else, but this event is what broke the camel's back for me. I closed all my rasslin' subscriptions and did a wipe on my Twitter. I think I'm done.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ace said:

I dunno about anybody else, but this event is what broke the camel's back for me. I closed all my rasslin' subscriptions and did a wipe on my Twitter. I think I'm done.

I just subscribed to Highspots like a month ago and now I'm worried about supporting sexual predators whenever I watch something. 

7 minutes ago, EVA said:

I don't know the man, but Pete Dunne seems to be a very stand-up guy, let's hope this is true. But yeah, he does look sleazy as fuck, I think he works real hard to cultivate that look.

1 minute ago, Technico Support said:

I just subscribed to Highspots like a month ago and now I'm worried about supporting sexual predators whenever I watch something. 

Take this to the bank, you are likely supporting sexual predators to some degree whenever you watch ANYTHING.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Ace said:

I'm not there yet and hope it doesn't lead me to that point.  But I completely understand why.  I think for me I focus on the fact that shitehads are getting called out and there's a ton of great people that are wrestling.  It's part of the reason why I check WWE to some degree even though the owner is a shitehad himself.  Now the more once-great people end up in situations like this the less reasons I have.  But despite it all I'm trying to remain optimistic.

• Like 1

There was an allegation posted on Twitter on maybe Saturday by someone with about 28 followers saying they were a Russian wrestler and that at his first show in 2017 aged 18, Pete Dunne had slapped him in the face when he got out of the shower, called him a pussy and stolen his underwear so he couldn't get dressed.

The only thing he tagged in the tweet was Dunne's own account, and the rest of the twitter was in Russian. Other than being briefly mentioned on that reddit megathread where I saw it, it got so little traction I wouldn't even be able to dig it up again ¯\(°_o)/¯

It feels like the ominous stuff swirling round invoking Bate and Seven's names didn't really coalesce into anything definite enough to judge Dunne for any complicity

ZSJ's total silence sure has been pretty fuckin notable though!!

• Sad 1

I do want to make sure we (royal we here) aren't making some ones concerns about a specific thing seem less valid because of the big picture

Yes - everything is trashed but it can also be compartmentalized.

In this specific case - it is valid to decide if supporting wrestling with your money (in whatever shape that takes) is still something one feels comfortable with

For example - I stopped years ago going to Chick Fil A due to their anti-LGBTQIA stances.

I know full well that every other fast food place I do visit has horrible practices in some way shape or form. That doesn't mean I should feel comfortable giving Chick Fil A my money.

• Like 7

It’s politics and video games and  managers at your local Walmart too. What’s important is that people are speaking out and the efforts to clean things up. It’s better to stay engaged and promote reform than to try to find something to love that is somehow pristine. I don’t think it exists. There are different mediums that are further along but that’s no reason to give up on this one that needs more help and support. You would think the nature of lies and kayfabe and men in power might make wrestling worse but I’m not even sure that would shake out. It’s just everything where there is a power imbalance (which is everything period).

I get anyone that wants to be done and I’m going to be focused on the past myself, where the damage is done and distant, because that’s what I was doing anyway, and I’ll try to contextualize it as I go so we’re not accepting old sins blindly, but I don’t think good fans trying to quit cold turkey will help anything, really. If you’re someone who is knowledgeable and cares and who feels guilty, you should try to be part of creating something better moving forward if you can.

But yeah, if you can’t go on, you can’t go on and that’s ok. There are other places where good can be done too.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 9

And regarding Dunne, on the last page underneath the Marty tweets, the same woman gives a graphic recounting of her experiences with Pete's brother, Damien. That doesn't mean Pete is guilty by association but if anything, this past week should tell us to stop putting famous people up on pedestals.

It is impossible to keep up with everything nor are we able to state every single name that comes up.

However I bring up this one since it is against another - now prominent WWE wrestler - Austin Theory

Inappropriate actions towards a 13 year old girl (including him telling the girl to stop saving messages so it could be "just their secret")

• Sad 2

46 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

I do want to make sure we (royal we here) aren't making some ones concerns about a specific thing seem less valid because of the big picture

Yes - everything is trashed but it can also be compartmentalized.

In this specific case - it is valid to decide if supporting wrestling with your money (in whatever shape that takes) is still something one feels comfortable with

For example - I stopped years ago going to Chick Fil A due to their anti-LGBTQIA stances.

I know full well that every other fast food place I do visit has horrible practices in some way shape or form. That doesn't mean I should feel comfortable giving Chick Fil A my money.

Thanks for the sensible reply.  I'll probably end up just watching indy wrestling and ffwd'ing past the known scumbags' matches, not watching Bar Wrestling or Revolver, etc.

Your Chick Fil A is my WWE.  I was a fan of theirs since just before the first Wrestlemania and I stopped watching all their stuff the day that photo with the McMahons and Trump in the oval office surfaced.  I don't agree with the  president's politics at all and I didn't want to give money to a company so cozy with him.  I feel like I've been vindicated in recent years with the Suadi situation, recent layoffs/furloughs, etc.  I guess what I'm saying is I understand the compartmentalization.  It's my approach as well, but it just got a little more difficult.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I'm an actor and I pretty much have the same fear any time I do any work. It's fucking nerve-racking.

This reminds me of one of my best friends is an actor that moved out to LA within the last couple years. Work has been really slow for him outside of a Cadillac commercial (the one where it's a group of women and there's explosions and stuff and you see it's on a set for a movie). Anyway, he got really excited because he got hired by some really rich guy who was hosting a vampire themed party for other rich folks. The pay was good, but so many details about the gig sounded ultra sketchy (wearing Eyes Wide Shut style masks, being shirtless, drugs being involved, etc.). I made sure he messaged a bunch of us on Messenger when he got there and when he was ready to leave just so we could make sure he was safe. Dude is in his mid-30s, but I still felt like I had to watch his back all the way out here in the Midwest. 

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Thanks for the sensible reply.  I'll probably end up just watching indy wrestling and ffwd'ing past the known scumbags' matches, not watching Bar Wrestling or Revolver, etc.

Your Chick Fil A is my WWE.  I was a fan of theirs since just before the first Wrestlemania and I stopped watching all their stuff the day that photo with the McMahons and Trump in the oval office surfaced.  I don't agree with the  president's politics at all and I didn't want to give money to a company so cozy with him.  I feel like I've been vindicated in recent years with the Suadi situation, recent layoffs/furloughs, etc.  I guess what I'm saying is I understand the compartmentalization.  It's my approach as well, but it just got a little more difficult.

Funny you guys mention Chick Fil A.  My wife works for one of the locations and if the owner saw some of the people working there he/she would have a coronary.  And by that I mean there's at least three gay people that work with her.  She absolutely adores them and everybody else she works with but does abhor the owner.  I would give her grief about working there but until she finds something else it pays the bills.  Only difference between them and WWE is I won't spend a dime on Chick Fil A.  And once I catch up on the WCW goodness I'll stick with the free version of the Network which means no more money to WWE.

But regarding places like Highspots or IWTV it's actually very easy to watch great wrestling without running into problem/promotions.  I would just need to pick and choose a bit more but there's so much goodness to watch without feeling the guilt.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Darby Allin accused of raping an ex-girlfriend now.

A skate-punk from Seattle being a POS? Color me surprised.

• Like 1