DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlers are trash "Allegedly"

Kang

2 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

A lot of people are gonna be done, at least for a while. It's a much different climate now in the world at large, mostly for the better, so it was really just a matter of time before wrestling's turn came - truthfully, I'm surprised there wasn't more of this during the initial Me Too jump start. 

I think so many promotions being unable to run during the pandemic has helped many come forward since its harder to screw people out of a job they currently don't have anyways. 

• Like 5

It does feel like there's more metoo allegations coming out across a lot of different media in the last week or two. I've seen things in comics, video games, TV, sports. I'm not sure if it's due to the quarantines or just coincidental though.

• Like 1

I'd like to think that some folks are looking at the post quarantine world as an opportunity for change. That when we talk about the new normal, it can be more than just masks and social distancing, it can be a deeper societal change. I imagine some people are actually happy to be in quarantine because the outside world had become miserable and toxic. As we start approaching a reopening there's probably an impulse to say well if I'm going back out there needs to be some changes.

I'm skeptical of how introspective we've really been allowed to be during this time, so it could just be coincidence. Could just be an election year.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, jaedmc said:

I'd like to think that some folks are looking at the post quarantine world as an opportunity for change. That when we talk about the new normal, it can be more than just masks and social distancing, it can be a deeper societal change. I imagine some people are actually happy to be in quarantine because the outside world had become miserable and toxic. As we start approaching a reopening there's probably an impulse to say well if I'm going back out there needs to be some changes.

I'm skeptical of how introspective we've really been allowed to be during this time, so it could just be coincidence. Could just be an election year.

I heard someone say that millennials have been fed so many dystopian stories with teen heroes that theyve taken them to heart to try and effect social change. 

20 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

I heard someone say that millennials have been fed so many dystopian stories with teen heroes that theyve taken them to heart to try and effect social change. 

A little off topic. I have an 18 year old, one who's on meds and has been through counseling, etc. He's a good kid, did moderately ok at school until it all sort of fell apart in his sophomore year when the GT/AP classes started, recovered enough to be rolling into community college in fall since he has no idea what he wants to do, but he's in this inescapable social feedback loop where he's connected to all these other kids his age or slightly older that trade a never-ending string of memes back and forth about how terrible the world is and how depressed they all are and how warranted it all is, and how common sense certain social democracy initiatives are and how the boomers basically destroyed everything, and let me tell you, they've been preparing for a few years for 2020. This is basically the natural culmination of their lives up until this point.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

Yeah, us millenneals are more crippled by anxiety to do something about making the world a better place. Like, none of these injustices are news to me and I've been wanting change since high school, but there was this sense of societal stasis that was paralyzing and an overwhelming weight that allowed for complaints paired with inaction (last couple of days have had me thinking about the insanity with American school shootings) because nothing I could do would matter, or so that was the feeling. Zoomers have a different kind of anxiety, raised by Gen Xers, knowing how messed up the world is from day one instead of the buying the false bill of goods the boomers sold millenneals (go to school, work hard, succeed, world is always progressing). Zoomers know they're in the shit thanks in large part to boomers and have to basically have to do something about it. It's fascinating that these same kids who fuck with dumb memes 24/7 are going to affect more change than previous generations dating back to the GI generation, and they're bringing millenneals along with them. Yes, of course, many zoomers will grow out of that mentality as they get a mortgage. However, this focus on generational divides has given me new insight into who I'm teaching, especially the fresh faced grade 8 kids who struck me as very different from even the class two years ahead of them. They felt very different when I was teaching them but I couldn't put my finger on it. They grew up with social media, they're self-aware, they know things are super messed up, but they actually want to do something about it instead of complain like I do. It's pretty awesome to see. 

I do disagree with you, Jae, about there not being a lot of introspection. Maybe I'm projecting, but I have gone through so many stages of grief and depression throughout the pandemic in large part due to time alone and thinking, then the Hana Kimura tragedy, and then the protests and this reinvigorated #metoo movement in speaking out. I've spoken to a lot of people about it and it doesn't sound like I'm alone in that regard. Younger people and lots of non-awful older people are just tired of the stasis and the intersection of multiple crises has created a real chance for serious, long-lasting changes. I couldn't sleep for weeks thinking that this would be co-opted and fucked off, but doing more and more thinking and reading about Zoomers has given me serious hope for the near and not so near future. 

These are both hilarious and accurate.

And you'd have to pay me to watch that Quack video. Fuck him. He always struck me as the most insincere human being. Doing a crying statement on YouTube seems the perfect Mike Quackenbush thing to do. Go away.

• Like 7

When I think of world tumult messing with the youth, i remember my friend from college Dan. He came to college as a double major of Poli Sci and Russian studies, looking to go into foreign affairs. And then, during his freshman semester, down goes the Berlin Wall. And soon no more Soviet Union. 

Half the battle with Communism is establishing industry, and America already has the bones for that

Second half is the peaceful transition of power and resources back to the people

Only thing standing in America's way is oligarchs and the police/armed forces protecting them

Police have shown themselves inept and outnumbered 

Military would stand down if told to murder civilians

It's within our grasp if we want it bad enough

Everyone running out of money and getting evicted in the next couple months will only cause larger demonstrations

Exciting time to be alive

• Like 1

1 minute ago, christopher.annino said:

Is the irony on purpose re: Zoomers and Boomers saying the same trite shit about Millennials? Or do they legitimately don't know?

Boomers hate liberals because they've been taught "liberal = the left", which is incorrect. Liberals are the controlled opposition to Conservatives, and both sides are protectors of Capital. It's an illusion to make you think your vote counts. If you vote liberal or conservative, Capital always wins.

Zoomers have correctly identified liberals as worthless. Liberals would rather play a shell game with tax credits and means-tested benefits than actually enact meaningful change like Universal Healthcare or Free Tuition that would cost Capital money.

In essence:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Mike Quackenbush decides his defence/ apology should be presented in a monetisable format:

Hmm. Hmm hmm hmm.

I believe him on 2 things. I believe him on Steve Weiner, and I believe him regarding regret for using homophobic remarks. Everything else though, eh. Also, none of this at the end of the day is for me to evaluate.

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Mike Quackenbush decides his defence/ apology should be presented in a monetisable format:

Using his promo-voice is also not the smartest choice if he wants people to take this as a heartfelt apology.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, saveholmes said:

Boomers hate liberals because they've been taught "liberal = the left", which is incorrect. Liberals are the controlled opposition to Conservatives, and both sides are protectors of Capital. It's an illusion to make you think your vote counts. If you vote liberal or conservative, Capital always wins.

Zoomers have correctly identified liberals as worthless. Liberals would rather play a shell game with tax credits and means-tested benefits than actually enact meaningful change like Universal Healthcare or Free Tuition that would cost Capital money.

In essence:

this man spittin'