DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlers are trash "Allegedly"

Kang

36 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Anytime I see it brought up that somebody seems like such a nice person so how could they do something like this, I can't help but think about any story where some psychopath or a serial killer or kidnapper is found out, the local news always interviews the neighbors, and the neighbors always say, "Oh but he was so nice to us!"

It's kind of funny to think about, and then it's really not.

People with antisocial personality traits (and serial abusers like Joey Ryan definitely fit that category, IMPO) are very good at creating a charming facade and manipulating and conning people.  That’s part of their profile.

Another thing to keep in mind is, when it comes to friends and family, we tend to see what we want to see.  We generally don’t want to believe somebody we’re close with has a problem or is a shitty person, so we either consciously or unconsciously ignore the signs.  Our brains crave homeostasis.  That’s one of the reasons addicts are typically able to get in so deep before loved ones notice, even though it often seems really obvious to someone on the outside.

• Like 3

Wow, seemingly majority of the replies to that Mongo account closure are incredibly selfish or just outright dumb. People demand the person continue.

2 minutes ago, EVA said:

People with antisocial personality traits (and serial abusers like Joey Ryan definitely fit that category, IMPO) are very good at creating a charming facade and manipulating and conning people.  That’s part of their profile.

Another thing to keep in mind is, when it comes to friends and family, we tend to see what we want to see.  We generally don’t want to believe somebody we’re close with has a problem or is a shitty person, so we either consciously or unconsciously ignore the signs.  Our brains crave homeostasis.  That’s one of the reasons addicts are typically able to get in so deep before loved ones notice, even though it often seems really obvious to someone on the outside.

To take it to an extreme, look at Ted Bundy and all the creepy fans of his. There's still a whole cottage industry that thinks he was innocent to this day and he's been dead for over 30 years. We're talking about someone who had sex with corpses and murdered a LOT of people.

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, A_K said:

So which is it? On the one hand you’re suggesting that there is a very fine line between speech/action and that “my sixty years on this mudball have taught me .. that it is a very small step from thinking or talking about doing something awful to actually doing something awful”, on the other hand you (and others) are in the act of admitting that you’ve said things you’d rather forget ... which, I assume, you didn’t actually act on? So either you are all very rare, or there is (more likely) in fact a rather large leap between speech and action.

Not so much a comment on Sammy Guevara - as know hardly anything about the guy & and clearly in these heightened times organisations need to take action to nip insensitivity/crassness in the bud and demonstrate it cannot he stood for - but as a separate note in isolation once people start mind-policing and making mental leaps between speech & action they’re on a dangerous road indeed. 

I think if you read my full post I clarified (maybe I did so poorly) that for MOST normal folks the thinking something vile is as far as it gets, in fact, for lots of people we wouldn't even entertain such sociopathic thoughts because we aren't wired that way. However, it remains that it is a very small step from thought to action, goes all the way back to our built-in fight-flight response to danger.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ryan said:

I choose to believe Mongo was running that account himself.

You really think Mongo can operate a computer? I've always thought that he would have a difficult time winding a watch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/8oefal/i_remember_reading_a_rumor_that_sami_callihan/

I remember reading a rumor that Sami Callihan covered up a death at his former westling school but now I can't find any info. Did I dream this?

June 4, 2018

It was a few years ago and I remember I was pretty deep in a forum rabbit hole when I read it. Someone involved in the alleged cover up was posting about it. Something about a wrestler dying in the ring from a botched move that they passed off as a prexisting medical condition or something for insurance reasons. Does anyone else remember this or have any more info?

11 hours ago, sabremike said:

I said this in another thread but the best example of this is when Alvarez goes on a wild tirade about someone or something and you can clearly see Dave is holding back and not saying anything because he knows he has to choose his words very carefully for lots of reasons and if he says what he's thinking it will cause him all kinds of grief.

He should’ve chosen his words more carefully this week.

38 minutes ago, EVA said:

In addition to all of this, another thing that has to be kept in mind is: This is pro wrestling we're talking about. Part of the pro wrestling experience is knowing that every single aspect of the sport is trying to sell you something. It's not so much an antisocial personality as much as it is a whole part of selling people this experience: You're trying to sell them "I'm a good person, I'm your friend and I'm one of us", so in turn you can sell them other parts of being in this experience (tickets to see you perform again, merchandise, etc., etc.) 

That is a little different for the friends and family instance, because more than "we see what we want to see", it's "we see what the person will LET you see." Joey Ryan claiming "it's not my fault, it's just me going viral letting me live a rock and roll lifestyle" explained so much more than anything else in his "apology" ever could: EVEN WHEN his back was against the wall and literally everyone knew "your career is over, you will never be allowed to be a professional wrestler again after this, you'll be lucky if you don't end up in jail for this shit", he was STILL trying to sell people an image of him as his character, even when it's connected to an act that makes sure that this character is effectively dead. Even when everyone saw way more of who Joey Ryan was than he intended, he truly thought he could still allow people to only see what HE wanted us to see- and that's just...even more insidious somehow.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

You know I had no strong opinions about Janela before today. I really really didn't. Now I have too much anger to sleep.

I’m a bit behind on this can anyone please fill me in on what happened with Joey Janela?

1 hour ago, saveholmes said:

Here's the incident Pinkie's referring to - Matt Riot died in 2009 at a CZW training session and his cause of death was listed as a "brain aneurysm"

https://phanaticmag.blogspot.com/2009/09/independent-wrestler-lowry-dies-after.html

I don’t want to look like I’m biased to CZW as I tend to think the vast majority of the sleazy bullshit about them is true, but this just seems like taking a tragedy of a young man dying to bring heat to a company he hates. His argument is basically “brain aneurisms don’t just happen” when... yeah, they do. That’s why they are terrifying.

i have zero debate on the second story though.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AxB said:

Yeah... either he's super non-observant, or he's turned so many blind eyes to seriously dodgy shit that he's basically complicit. All the stuff about a fifteen year old Millie McKenzie being the girlfriend of here trainer, the thirty year old Travis Banks? He was an assistant trainer. It was Pete Dunne's school. And the other trainer there was human sewage Martin Zaki.

I've been thinking a lot about this point the past few days and how it applies to the issues we as a society are coming to terms with right now.  If it's an open secret in your organization, industry or social circle that someone is human garbage and you have chosen to remain silent because it doesn't effect you, the silence benefits you or the silence protects the strength/cohesion of the unit, are you any better? I understand that in some ways it is human nature to turn a blind eye and if you pointed the finger at anyone who had a whiff that something was afoul and did nothing there may not be anyone left. (For example, there have been jokes about Lawler being inappropriate with underage girls for as long as I can remember) I think its crucial as a society that the observers of the types of conduct that have come out over the past few days view it as a duty to protect the vulnerable, be diligent in reporting crimes and removing the perpetrators from any industry. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JohnnyJ said:

I've been thinking a lot about this point the past few days and how it applies to the issues we as a society are coming to terms with right now.  If it's an open secret in your organization, industry or social circle that someone is human garbage and you have chosen to remain silent because it doesn't effect you, the silence benefits you or the silence protects the strength/cohesion of the unit, are you any better?

I made a similar point a few days ago with regard to WWE talent tweeting in support of the victims in this thing.  I said they really don't have a moral high ground here while they're making money for Vince McMahon.  Someone commented that many of us work for companies with CEOs like Vince.  I disagree, and besides, that's really whataboutism at its worst.  I mean sure, a lot of major companies are into shady shit, but I have no idea what my CEO or company has actually done.  WWE and Vince have been very publicly on the wrong side of so many immoral things.  It's way different. 

46 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

I’m a bit behind on this can anyone please fill me in on what happened with Joey Janela?

The impression I have gotten (and it is really fucking confusing) is that if you go after someone that Janela is personally friends with he gets super defensive of that person and starts lashing out.

So in this case it was defending CHIKARA but other people have shared examples

Like...

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Phil has the more general stance, this was my small window thing

It’s not major and being nationally reported, I’m the one bringing it up because it involves a personal friend. Wiggy is a decently prominent podcaster who worked for CHIKARA for a few years. She had a very negative experience with the company, specifically with predatory behavior from  wrestler whose ring name is Kobold. She and a few others told there stories which led to Kobols being fired. Wig isn’t shy, and agreed to post other people’s stories when asked. She started this by posting a message sent to her by Quackenbush after she posted that she had heard from multiple people that Quack had referred to her as “the Ratatiri” in reference to her history with Kobold and friendship with the other members of the Batiri. 

Janela came into this yesterday asking when Wiggy was going to post stories about CZW, who she currently works for as a podcast host among other things. Wiggy told him nobody has sent her anything regarding them and that she personally had not had any negative interactions in CZW. Janela told her that CZW had plenty of other allegations and that she should “grow up”. Wig forwarded that message tagging AEW because, well, he seemingly trying to character assassinate someone with credible allegations (or that’s I view it, personally). He deleted his messages on twitter and sent her that message on Facebook.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, saveholmes said:

AIW stopped booking Sami Callihan in 2009 after it happened

It's been an open secret for years

AIW also talked shit about Sami for years. They referred to him as "Scarmi Carnihan"   Or sometimes "Scammy'  but when he first went to NXT who put out a Sami comp? AIW did.    Matt was one of Sami's best friends. Crazy to think he would cover the death up. 

1 hour ago, The Man Known as Dan said:

Janela came into this yesterday asking when Wiggy was going to post stories about CZW, who she currently works for as a podcast host among other things. Wiggy told him nobody has sent her anything regarding them and that she personally had not had any negative interactions in CZW. Janela told her that CZW had plenty of other allegations and that she should “grow up”. Wig forwarded that message tagging AEW because, well, he seemingly trying to character assassinate someone with credible allegations (or that’s I view it, personally). He deleted his messages on twitter and sent her that message on Facebook.

This whole thing confused me as well, so thanks for the explanation!  I have no dog in this fight but from appearances, she has two roles here:

1) Wiggy is a victim

2) Wiggy is a podcaster using her platform to amplify others' accusations, which is cool

But Janela is in the right pointing out that criticism of the obviously scummy CZW is pretty conspicuously missing from her messages, which feels so disingenuous because she works for them.  But still, Janela needs to read the room and understand this probably isn't the time for comments like his, right or wrong.

At the same time, he came at her for her role as #2 above while she is reporting him to AEW in her role as #1, which is shitty  -- "an employee of yours is being mean to a victim."

Everyone sucks here but Janela is worse because, dude, maybe just lay off and let shit go because this is just not the time.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

Marty Scurll posted another statement. I am not posting it because the majority of it is letting us know what the UK age of consent is.

He also didn't apologize