DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlers are trash "Allegedly"

Kang

16 minutes ago, Brian Fowler said:

Kobe also did a lot of good things. Charity, pushing forward women's basketball, etc. But he raped a young woman in a hotel in Colorado.

O.J. Simpson killed a couple people.  The jury got it wrong,  the trial was a mess.. but he clearly killed those people. He got away with murder. We saw all the evidence, we saw it all laid out in front of us,  it's clear as day.  I can't say the same about Kobe, I can say "he might have raped that woman" but I can't say he definitely did it like I can say O.J. killed some people. I'm fine with your view on it, I can't say Kobe did it or didn't. 

• Like 3

Does anyone here know Will Ospreay? Can someone at least advise him to hire a decent PR or crisis manager? At the very least, he needs someone to read over all of his tweets and statements before he puts them out at this point. What he did yesterday was not good for him at all. Not saying his career is over anything yet, but he's definitely not in a good place right now.

38 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

All I'm saying is that calling out random names on Twitter is not the answer.  The courts get it wrong but what else is there, we don't have a better system right now.

The problem is that what you are de facto saying is that actual victims shouldn't be able to speak out, or at least that it's wrong for them to do so.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

O.J. Simpson killed a couple people.  The jury got it wrong,  the trial was a mess.. but he clearly killed those people. He got away with murder. We saw all the evidence, we saw it all laid out in front of us,  it's clear as day.  I can't say the same about Kobe, I can say "he might have raped that woman" but I can't say he definitely did it like I can say O.J. killed some people. I'm fine with your view on it, I can't say Kobe did it or didn't. 

Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

That reads an awful lot like him saying "I raped her" to me

• Like 5

One thing about redemption, doing your debit to society ect. in regards to Kobe, Tyson, ect. is that some people feel that rape, sexual assault, child abuse are things that you don't get to come back from. You shouldn't get to be treated like a star after something like that.

Ric Flair is a perpetrator of sexual assault going by past allegations. Everyone still worships him, and he came back from it. People write and talk about the plane ride from hell, but they don't really bring up what Flair did as sexual assault, even though going by the allegations, what he did was clearly sexual assault.

Edited by TheVileOne

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Bushiroad employs Chase Owens, who is far more of a problem than Will Ospreay, but both need to go ASAP. One is a paedophile, and the other is an enabler for a rapist and drove a woman out of the industry because she spoke out.

I like Bea Priestly as a worker, but she's not any better than Will. At the very least she's a bully of the highest caliber.

I could see them getting rid of Owens, but Ospreay is going nowhere unless something worse is revealed about him.

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Well I imagine that because Gallagher is a rapist, and so is Riddle, but one is fired, then the other should also probably be fired.

This isn't as difficult as you want to think it is.

I’m not saying Riddle isn’t guilty of something, but the oral sex in the van story sounds highly unlikely.

How would he manage to keep the van on the road while choking the accuser, forcing her into oral sex, and also making sure all of it was quiet enough to not wake the other three passengers in said van? 

If he’s guilty of something then fire his ass immediately, and don’t think twice about it (in my opinion), but that story sounds totally unbelievable. 

And actually one other issue I’m having with all this talk of other athletes (Kobe and Mike Tyson) is why is nobody mentioning Ben Roethlisberger? The guy is a known piece of crap, and has been accused of the same thing as Kobe was multiple times. But hey he won two Super Bowls in Pittsburgh, and apparently he’s loved by everyone, because when he’s hurt yearly the team goes to crap without him. I guess what I’m trying to say is there’s scumbags in every sport, and I don’t think certain ones should get singled out while others get a pass. 

Edited by MavsFan77
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

The problem is that what you are de facto saying is that actual victims shouldn't be able to speak out, or at least that it's wrong for them to do so.

Show me where that was said.  How did you read my post and arrive to where you are?  

Is someone being unjustly thrown in the mix a bigger issue? No, of course not but it's something worth pointing out, it's something that was happening on Twitter. 

I want everyone to come forward.  With WWE,  are they going to fire Matt Riddle off this story? Should they? These are the questions I'm asking..   

Forget the political world. It seems like that doesn't matter at all.  Allegations are met with complete indifference and go away as fast as they came.

Edited by Niners Fan in CT

14 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

I know you’re most likely being sarcastic, but everyone else is just voicing their opinions too, and so many are being quick to want Riddle cancelled without even reading the story of what happened. That’s why I said if he’s raped someone definitely fire him, but the story posted sounded like a 100% work of fiction.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Show me where that was said.  How did you read my post and arrive to where you are?  

It would take a long post to deconstruct everything you have said and show how I believe it leads to what I wrote, which I'm not going to do. But quickly

These stories MUST be told and victims need to feel comfortable coming forward and the monsters need to be held accountable but we cannot convict based on a story, it has to play out in the courts. 

1. You probably know that what comes after a but is emphasised over what comes before it. 

2. Noone is convicting per se, but you are equating other forms of judgement with that word and rendering them illegitimate if they are not accompanied by a criminal conviction. That does essentially delegitimise victims coming forward, there really isn't any two ways about that. I can explain this in more detail if you really want.

ExposeWrestling was kicked off Twitter pdq so I'm not sure there's much mileage on dwelling on that.

Edited by RunningFromAmerica

30 minutes ago, MavsFan77 said:

I know you’re most likely being sarcastic, but everyone else is just voicing their opinions too, and so many are being quick to want Riddle cancelled without even reading the story of what happened. That’s why I said if he’s raped someone definitely fire him, but the story posted sounded like a 100% work of fiction.

I'm just thinking rape isn't always just one person violently, forcefully sexually assaulting somebody. It can be coerced with threats or other means. Did we know he's driving the van? Could they not have been in the back? From what I remember, she said he tried to force her head down. That is something that could be done quietly.

I don't think there's a whole lot of positives coming from the weighing in on details, like we're analyzing a pro wrestling match or something. I think it's harmful. If you don't believe one story or multiple stories, that's fine. I'd never suggest you must believe them and burn all Riddle merch and delete him from the Network, etc. However, I don't see how letting the world know you don't believe somebody who is putting themselves in such a vulnerable spot is positive.

Edited by Oyaji

Plus we're trying to believe the victims these days, even if it's unlikely.

And in regards to Tyson, Flair, et al, just because people have let things skate by in the past doesn't mean we have to keep doing it now.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Noone is convicting per se, but you are equating other forms of judgement and rendering them illegitimate if they are not accompanied by a criminal conviction. That does essentially delegitimise victims coming forward, there really isn't any two ways about that. I can explain this in more detail if you really want.

Not at all..  I want everyone to come forward and I want all of these investigated, said that numerous times.  My questions are when/how is it decided that someone should be cancelled or shouldn't be cancelled and/or fired and also how does society hold the criminals accountable in the event that the court fails?  Which as said is the only system we have. 

It's the only formal system we have, yes. It feels like you are expecting societal judgement to resemble that - not very likely.

I'm probably veering of into questionable territory here, but I tend to think we need to look at non-criminal ways of dealing with many rapes - I take my cue from work done in New Zealand several years ago. Yes, this means essentially having perps agree to take sensitivity training to avoid trial and conviction.

YARN | Episode #1.4 - Fleabag [S01E04] video clips

(Yes, a bit like in Fleabag)

The problem with sexual assault is providing evidence. This isn't something that can always be analyzed by experts to determine validity. 

And as even one of the survivors have commented on, I think it was Millie McKenzie, this isn't about cancelling people. It's about not being sexually violated or taken advantage of and cleaning the profession (and society as a whole) up. The people who are out there demanding people be "cancelled" are generally not the people coming forward with stories, interestingly enough.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I'm just thinking rape isn't always just one person violently, forcefully sexually assaulting somebody. It can be coerced with threats or other means. Did we know he's driving the van? Could they not have been in the back? From what I remember, she said he tried to force her head down. That is something that could be done quietly.

I don't think there's a whole lot of positives coming from the weighing in on details, like we're analyzing a pro wrestling match or something. I think it's harmful. If you don't believe one story or multiple stories, that's fine. I'd never suggest you must believe them and burn all Riddle merch and delete him from the Network, etc. However, I don't see how letting the world know you don't believe somebody who is putting themselves in such a vulnerable spot is positive.

According to her story there were five people in the van, and three of them (so everyone but her and Riddle) were asleep. From that detail either she was driving or Matt was. Assuming he was the driver (there’s no way he could force her head down if she’s the driver) how would he keep the van on the road while as she claims choked her, forced her head down, and forced her to pleasure him? As I said too there’s no way she wouldn’t have screamed or made some sort of attempt to wake the sleeping passengers. 

I respect what you’re saying there, and I agree with the comments about Riddle. I wasn’t trying to discredit the victim, I was simply stating why that particular story doesn’t add up. If a Riddle did abuse her in a different situation then he’s clearly trash, and needs to go. I do applaud the women who have spoken up with stories the last few days too as these guys need to be exposed. There’s no place in any industry for losers like that.

Well, if you’re saying someone’s story doesn’t add up, you are attempting to discredit them. That’s just what those words put together in that order mean.

Anyway, it’s gross to debate the mechanics of this. But man, Riddle is a really big, phenomenally athletic fighter, who is trained to physically overwhelm people. He can choke someone with one hand. 

”Why didn’t the woman fight back better or yell?” is victim blaming. We should avoid that kind of thing.

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, zendragon said:

Joey Ryan's response

This just made me think of him being put in Wrestler's Court on Impact last year. Funniest thing in wrestling all year... to become probably one of the more uncomfortable things to watch in wrestling period. 

Edited by Curt McGirt

8 minutes ago, Beech27 said:

”Why didn’t the woman fight back better or yell?” is victim blaming. We should avoid that kind of thing.

100% this. Also she may not have tried to wake up the others in the van because she may of had to worry about the possibility of that just making her situation worse. Really people need to come to terms with the fact that sexual assault is an epidemic in our culture and that a lot of people have to spend their times constantly weighing the situation they are to maintain the most safety they can.

• Like 8

Well, the one bright spot in all of this is that Pete Dunne has always impressed me as a stand-up guy who doesn't suffer fools and jackholes gladly, (if at all), and there's been absolutely nothing from either side of the pond to change my opinion of him.

• Like 7