DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlers are trash "Allegedly"

Kang

Just go look at the trailer for Athlete A that Rippa posted in the Documentary thread today. That'll tell you all you need to know about whether this happens in "real" sports. 

I really don't know how any of you can read through all these threads of DMs. I look at what I see in the little bubbles of text and that's enough to repulse me. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I heard the junior hockey stories as a kid and was so thankful I played soccer and baseball. Just heinous shit and something super widespread from what I've heard.

Man, you look people up for months and shit is starting to bubble to the surface. The world will be a better place after this fucked up situation. We've all  been forced into reflection and more importantly introspection. 

Edited by Oyaji

Daniel Carcillo wasn't a popular guy with the hockey establishment to begin with and he's a guy with his own share of skeletons in the closet, so that is going to get extremely ugly before it is all over. I love hockey but it's a sport that desperately needs to let go of some old school shit.

But yeah it's going to be nasty for junior hockey, to be honest I can only imagine how big it would be if someone ever blows the lid off just how much hazing bullshiit goes on in NCAA football.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I really don't know how any of you can read through all these threads of DMs. I look at what I see in the little bubbles of text and that's enough to repulse me. 

Im in a pretty dark space, Curt. Up and down. Adding on top digging through all of this. I’m generally an optimistic person, but all this ugliness has brought me to an unhappy negative outlook, unable to sleep.

Maybe there is a positive in that this all would be silenced years ago? We’re at a spot in time when things like this can be discussed. I don’t know. I’m gonna grab a beer.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Yeah, I heard the junior hockey stories as a kid and was so thankful I played soccer and baseball. Just heinous shit and something super widespread from what I've heard.

Man, you look people up for months and shit is starting to bubble to the surface. The world will be a better place after this fucked up situation. We've all  been forced into reflection and more importantly introspection. 

I heard horror stories myself as a kid (And I didn't play hockey either) which is why I thought it was so weird when this story broke and all the hockey reporter were responding "This is AWFUL" and I thought "Well yeah, but it's awful for a long time" and I wasn't even IN hockey, there's no way all these people working within the industry, many of them former players themselves, hadn't heard stories of this before.  I remember being 9/10 years old and reading a book about Wayne Gretzky or the Oilers and they talked about the ages-old practice of tieing a player down on the trainer's table and shaving off his pubic hair and thinking "That's a weird thing for a bunch of adults to do!"

1 minute ago, Death From Above said:

Daniel Carcillo wasn't a popular guy with the hockey establishment to begin with and he's a guy with his own share of skeletons in the closet, so that is going to get extremely ugly before it is all over. I love hockey but it's a sport that desperately needs to let go of some old school shit.

But yeah it's going to be nasty for junior hockey, to be honest I can only imagine how big it would be if someone ever blows the lid off just how much hazing bullshiit goes on in NCAA football.

I notice there's already a bit of circling of the wagons with other junior players saying "We never had any hazing" or "I had to sing I'm A Little Teapot" in front of a movie theater and that's as bad as it got.  But then two of Carcillo's teammates corroborated his story,  I think what will be most interesting is whether Carcillo used any of those same techniques on his future teammates when he got to be a veteran.

Shit gets weird with athletes, man.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

Im in a pretty dark space, Curt. Up and down. Adding on top digging through all of this. I’m generally an optimistic person, but all this ugliness has brought me to an unhappy negative outlook, unable to sleep.

Sorry to hear that man. I didn't mean that comment as any kind of criticism, just saying y'all got stronger stomachs than I do. Besides, I don't need this to poison my view of the human race any further, it's pretty well below contempt at this point.

1 hour ago, Dewar said:

Most sports don't have men and women sharing the same locker rooms like wrestling does. Footballers and basketballers would not be pulling shit like this with co-workers and trainees,  they would be doing it with the general public, and they usually just get written off as groupies (for example, Kobe Bryant in Colorado).

Do men and women share the same locker room in wrestling? I just saw a twitter post earlier where Thunderkitty mentioned a female vet nearly getting into it with Riddle because he was trying to change in the female locker room at one point.

55 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

Maybe there is a positive in that this all would be silenced years ago? We’re at a spot in time when things like this can be discussed. I don’t know. I’m gonna grab a beer.

I know the feeling OctopusCinema. The deeper it gets the worse it gets. Even taking a wait and see approach to some of the allegations, there's definitely plenty of evidence that some nasty incidents took place. 

It's never fully come out, but by this point, there have been stories of some pretty awful things happening in the Japan scene as well. Randazzo's Ring of Hell mentioned verbal and sexual abuse at Japanese run training camps. 

I guess the one positive is that the allegations are coming to light and some purging is taking place.

Regardless, with the pandemic already going on, my anxiety is at an all-time high.

11 minutes ago, Casey said:

Apparently Human Tornado was just fucking with people when he posted the thing about Marq Quen.

What the fuck?

That wasn't really my takeaway from that thread, but if that is true, he should be banned from all forms of social media. I saw someone else say he was screwing around, but I wasn't sure if that was the case from Tornado's perspective. But why now of all times would you joke and mess around with something like that?

Well if you look at Human Tornado's timeline right now, it's all over the place. He's retweeting stuff about Cody needing to do something about Marq Quen, then the next retweet is about this might be an unprovoked outing of Marq Quen as gay, then the next is a random tweet from someone about his PWG feud with Chris Hero and how it's underrated.

I've got no idea what's going on right now, but I know whatever is going on isn't helping the conversation.

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

Well if you look at Human Tornado's timeline right now, it's all over the place. He's retweeting stuff about Cody needing to do something about Marq Quen, then the next retweet is about this might be an unprovoked outing of Marq Quen as gay, then the next is a random tweet from someone about his PWG feud with Chris Hero and how it's underrated.

I've got no idea what's going on right now, but I know whatever is going on isn't helping the conversation.

If he was outing Marq Quen, doesn't that kind of make him a scumbag for outing him without his consent? 

Didn't Human Tornado lie about having HIV or at least told some of the people at PWG he was HIV positive and that's why he was retiring or something? And those some of those people leaked that info, but it turned out it wasn't true that he was HIV positive?

10 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Ea53-giXYBAMn2M?format=jpg&name=small

9 hours ago, RIPPA said:

I might have missed it posted already but Jordan Devlin has also issued a statement saying the accusations are "completely and utterly false."

It's a good thing to clear out the fuckheads from the business here- but given the nature of some of these, it does seem like Gallagher being fired before the NXT UK'ers and/or Riddle shines a light that's...kind of a pretty shitty blind spot for the WWE's policy, all things considered.

Gallagher deserved to be fired for what he did (and some more heads should roll from this), but you can see that the policy is kind of broken when, by the rules WWE instituted on this policy: 

Devlin, Riddle, and Ligero deny everything about the claims made about them (Devlin and Riddle outright attack the accuser and do these, with Ligero merely admitting to the "well, he's a manipulative bastard, but no law saying he can't be" and not admitting to the abuse/assault claims where there were), and because they denied everything, it boils down to a case of he said, she said and all three guys aren't subject to punishment by this rule. 

By contrast, Gallagher was the one person under the WWE banner to say "Yes, I will take responsibility for this" and try to make amends for it...but because he took responsibility, he confessed to doing it- which counts as undeniable proof that Gallagher did it, and so he gets fired because of it.

Gallagher deserved his firing- but if this is the case, it kind of sends the exact opposite message that should be sent here- instead of "if you've done bullshit in the past, if it's out in the open, take your lumps, admit your wrongdoings, and try to do better", the message sent is "Deny, deny, deny. Don't give them anything here, if you admit any complicitness then you're proving you did it and can be fired. Deny the charges until they have to bring criminal charges and you can't deny it anymore, and then deny it a little bit more."

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, SorceressKnight said:

By contrast, Gallagher was the one person under the WWE banner to say "Yes, I will take responsibility for this" and try to make amends for it...but because he took responsibility, he confessed to doing it- which counts as undeniable proof that Gallagher did it, and so he gets fired because of it.

When did Gallagher admit to the multiple rapes he was accused of?

I've read plenty about a local wrestler who has been quite prolific in calling this out for years on social media, and being incredibly brave about recounting her stories about rape and sexual assault by someone she continued to share a locker room with for another 8 years.

Always assumed that the person responsible either worked interstate or even in a US promotion. And from afar, I'm sitting here getting really annoyed/snarky at people who continue to cheer her on with tweets, but continue to be friends with the person, or work for the promotions who didn't believe her.

Nah, it's a guy I've shared a few beers with at PPV screenings. And finding out that the promotion run by a guy I've known since I was 13 knew all about it, and continued to book him, promote him as their top guy and head trainer of their school in charge of numerous other women.

Now she's sharing a story about a photographer I've known for ages being a predator towards her, forcing her into some really uncomfortable candid shoots. 

And I get it now. I don't think me unfriending them on Facebook does anything. Doesn't undo the damage/harm, doesn't make them any more or less aware of their shitty enabling behaviour. At worst, I'm making it about myself. Spent the day just feeling sad and angry about these stories, from a disengaged perspective, it's just sad to want to watch this shitty sport that is full of rapists and pedophiles. Now it hits so much closer to home, people you think are OK guys, that I've trusted for decades, would have vouched for. And, yeah, no, total predators.

Not one of the good guys: Travis Banks. Who was dating Millie McKenzie when he was 30 and she was 17, and he was her trainer.

If Ospreay's a good guy, there's probably too many good guys around.

I'll say something personal though.......I don't think I've done anything that wasn't 'in the game' as it were, nothing remotely approaching a 'grey rape' - but I'm not going to call myself a good guy. There, I said it.

7 hours ago, Eivion said:

Do men and women share the same locker room in wrestling? I just saw a twitter post earlier where Thunderkitty mentioned a female vet nearly getting into it with Riddle because he was trying to change in the female locker room at one point.

• Like 2