DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlers are trash "Allegedly"

Kang

(Thought experiment with a lot of what ifs)

Who would be the biggest person in the business need to be tarnished by accusations  to cripple wrestling: Is it Vince (the obvious choice) or Hunter (the heir apparent)? 

One would think Vince, citing "health reasons", could be phased out (if he agreed) (work with me here) and the company passed down to Hunter and Steph, maybe with Linda as CEO. 

But, if Hunter was embroiled in something, not only being next in line given current succession plans, but you would think Stephanie (not only shrewd businesswoman but a leading proponent of grrlpower) would cut Hunter loose to save her own legacy and future employment?

In a way, similar to how John Ridgely was married to Jim Crockett Sr's daughter, but infidelity cost him JCP and we ended up with Jim Jr in charge. 

Edited by odessasteps

Everything I’ve read on this from today is absolutely heartbreaking. 

posting this. Didn’t see it posted. I’ll edit it out if I missed it.

Edited by OctopusCinema

The way Twitter clumps together pictures, I read that backwards and at first thought the last thing she said was she was 14. Then I noticed the time at the top and re-arranged how I read them. Yuck.

46 minutes ago, OctopusCinema said:

Everything I’ve read on this from today is absolutely heartbreaking. 

posting this. Didn’t see it posted. I’ll edit it out if I missed it.

After reading that I think he should change his ring name to Good Uno.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I've been a wrestling fan for over 30 years, but this week is the first time that I've actually felt embarrassed about that.

Its definitely not a good light but I'm sure it happens in other sports heavily, it's just wrestling fans and wrestlers themselves just finally decided to address these issues as a whole. In the long run this will force the business to purge of that type of energy I believe 

16 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

I've been a wrestling fan for over 30 years, but this week is the first time that I've actually felt embarrassed about that.

It's everywhere, man. It's structural. It's not just pro wrestling. 

But if you want to be embarrassed in a society that allows these things to foster, I get it.

To Jae's point, I don't think wrestling is the only thing that people watch for the personal sleaze as much as for the art form. I think that's entertainment, that's sports, that's royalty, that's whatever distraction out there that we'll pay attention to. That's why Skip Bayless has a job, why the National Enquirer and the Star and all those magazines exist right up at the front of the grocery store, why Princess Diana lost her life running from a paparazzo. 

Sleaze is a societal institution, the "circuses" part of the "bread and circuses" that keep us from focusing on a bunch of other awful institutional practices that are too much to bear in a different, less entertaining way. 

Edited by Smelly McUgly
  • Like 6

Most sports don't have men and women sharing the same locker rooms like wrestling does. Footballers and basketballers would not be pulling shit like this with co-workers and trainees,  they would be doing it with the general public, and they usually just get written off as groupies (for example, Kobe Bryant in Colorado).

Hopefully everyone is held accountable for their actions. This is some reprehensible behaviour coming to light. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

The Swamp is being drained in Pro wrestling. Like how Trump is exposing the Pizza gate scandals but people are actually getting repercussions from their offenses

Comet Pizza doesn't have a basement. 

3 minutes ago, Smelly McUgly said:

It's everywhere, man. It's structural. It's not just pro wrestling. 

But if you want to be embarrassed in a society that allows these things to foster, I get it.

I'll get past it. I'm never going to abandon this dumb business that we all love. But the past couple of days have been tough.

19 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

The Swamp is being drained in Pro wrestling. Like how Trump is exposing the Pizza gate scandals but people are actually getting repercussions from their offenses

I've sat here staring at this thing for way too long. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 13

This one hits closer to home.

https://twitter.com/thewrestlebrook/status/1274109676167335938?s=20

Kobald WAS a part of CHIKARA, where my daughter and I regularly go because it's 15 minutes from home. Seeing this almost made me quit watching wrestling completely.

Since then, though, Kobald has been fired from Chikara. And at least one other person has come forward.

My heart hurts, because he was my daughter's favorite.

• Sad 5