DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlers are trash "Allegedly"

Kang

4 minutes ago, AxB said:

The "My heroes are morally infallible and anyone accusing them of anything must be lying" philosophy is not exactly exclusive to Wrestling fans. In fact, I'd say Wrestling fans are more likely to turn on people they'd previously admired, given that so many of us are so aware of what absolute shitbags many of our legends used to be.

And I agree with that to a certain extent, but there is definitely a subsection of wrestling fans that believe "too many of our favorites went down today...gotta find the one with the least amount of perceived dirt and defend". This seems especially ingrained in wrestling fans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

And I agree with that to a certain extent, but there is definitely a subsection of wrestling fans that believe "too many of our favorites went down today...gotta find the one with the least amount of perceived dirt and defend". This seems especially ingrained in wrestling fans.

Wrestling fandom is one of those things, you're almost conditioned to defend the sport, because of the widespread non-fan assumption that anyone who watches Wrestling is an idiot who can't tell it's not real. So as soon as something negative about wrestling comes out, the instinctive response is denial.

The list Sierra Loxton is compiling has apparently 70+ names on it now, most of which haven't come out yet. Some because there are ongoing police investigations and therefore it has to be kept confidential, some because the victim wants to remain anonymous and identifying the perpetrator would make the victim's identity obvious.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

I think there is probably a certain glee from some fans who want to see certain people go down (not just the obvious one) and are relishing the revelations more for that than any desire for justice to be served. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NikoBaltimore said:

For me it started with Benoit.  I was guilty of hero worship when it came to him so when the murders happened that changed a lot of things with how I think of wrestlers as people.  Since then I've had no issue turning on somebody that turns out to be shitty.  Unfortunately it's been happening way too many times but at least there's still many good people that are in the business.

I really fell out of love with wrestling in the early 2000's off the back of Guererro, Benoit, and for me Misawa's deaths hitting me really hard. It's taken me a long time to find enjoyment of it again.

Anyway I'd like to think that all of this stuff coming to light right now will help make wrestling a better place in the long run. There's going to be a lot of gross bullshit (targeting of victims) coming pretty hard soon. I really don't know what else to say about it other than I hope all the victims can find peace with it in the coming weeks and months and that hopefully the openness of the business that social media has encouraged can end up working towards some sort of consequences for the abusers, and maybe even some good for the industry on the whole.

• Like 6

Much like with a lot of things going on these days, this is a necessary growing pain on our way to a better society. We're going to lose some people, maybe even some of our favorites, but the business that emerges on the other side will be safer for everyone and in a far better situation to grow and thrive. My heart goes out to those who are sharing their trauma, it's incredible that so many have the strength to do so and I hope the momentum continues. Drag 'em all.

• Like 10

Well the WWE guys are getting McDevitt on the case then their stories better be on point and accurate..  Especially in the Riddle case because I believe the women actually works for EVOLVE.  Or well did work for EVOLVE since the company is basically dead

Edited by hammerva

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Mustafa Ali left the police department because he couldn't believe how crazy everyone was decided to become a professional wrestler.  That dude is going to have a must read autobiography.

He was concerned about the morality of the police force and became a wrestler?!

Thats like quitting the mafia to go work for a drug cartel!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Awful stuff. And sadly, a lot of this stuff is gonna be hard to prove/disprove so people can justify whatever opinions they have moving forward. 

With these cases, you look for contemporaneous proof (did the victim tell someone when it happened) and does the accused have a pattern/history. 

Also, it's really not unfair to suggest that being an asshole or a shitty boyfriend or a cheater rises to the level of being a sexual abuser or exploiting power/authority over someone. Those are the grey areas that make sexual assault/harassment so difficult to suss out.

And, ya know, a lot of times we just go by the eye test. Like, the Cornette stuff certainly tracks with everything we know about him. The Riddle stuff, which is horrid, it's okay to need a bit more. Hasn't the guy been married to his wife since high school? Bunch of little daughters? Seemed like a devoted family guy. 

But I think that's we have to do. Case by case. You know, in law there was always that axiom from Benjamin Franklin that  "it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer" and now, especially in our vitriolic online world, it seems that it's now "well if 99 percent are guilty who cares if some innocent people get destroyed."

• Like 1

Being a family man does not make it impossible to commit sexual assault. Neither does doing it once/not having a history of it. 

People can present the nicest facades and be monsters.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Hagan said:

And, ya know, a lot of times we just go by the eye test. Like, the Cornette stuff certainly tracks with everything we know about him. The Riddle stuff, which is horrid, it's okay to need a bit more. Hasn't the guy been married to his wife since high school? Bunch of little daughters? Seemed like a devoted family guy. 

I know it's coming from Dana, but *that* family man Matt Riddle?

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

Being a family man does not make it impossible to commit sexual assault. Neither does doing it once/not having a history of it. 

People can present the nicest facades and be monsters.

Oh, of course. Bill Cosby a clear example of that. At the end of the day, we DON'T know these people. 

• Like 4

The sad part is, he and those in WWE will likely use the full capabilities of their legal team to shut down and even sue those making allegations. There is no perfect answer in dealing with sexual assault and abuse cases, but I know that shit ain't right. It's already so hard for people to share this stuff. Having the fear of becoming destitute isn't going to help survivors expose these people. My sister was sexually assaulted by a serial pedophile as a grade 7 student in the summer over a decade ago. Not only was she faced with constant rumours at school, but the police also basically did their damndest to put it back on her having a bad sexual experience with a fellow underage person, even though there were two girls attacked in that case. They isolated family members, myself included, suggesting that she was lying and that I should agree with them. The perpetrator went on to assault an even younger girl before finally being caught and it later came to light that this man had a long history of this going back over 10 years. So, in conclusion: fuck the police and fuck those that make it harder for survivors to share their story.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 12
  • Sad 1

He's a brave man, is Eddie Kingston.

As far as Progress goes, they've been keeping really quiet and really hedging their bets. Even now, they've said Starr and Referee Paz are both gone from the company, whilst Jordan Devlin, Scotty Davis and Travis Banks are just suspended indefinitely. Which has massively pissed off a lot of people.

Not wrestling related but gonna leave this here because there’s always people who need to hear this and think it through. Not saying every single accusation is enough to lock them up and throw away the key, but for the most part, yeah. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

What exactly was Hager accused of? I haven't seen it posted anywhere.

Hager hasn't been named directly. Just enough clues were given that he was the most likely culprit.

Edited by Eivion

9 minutes ago, Eivion said:

Hager hasn't been named directly. Just enough clues were given that he was the most likely culprit.

Thanks for that. The only other question I had was one of tweets mentioned a convicted rapist on AEW. Are they talking about Havoc or someone that hasn't been named yet?

2 minutes ago, The Green Meanie said:

Thanks for that. The only other question I had was one of tweets mentioned a convicted rapist on AEW. Are they talking about Havoc or someone that hasn't been named yet?

That would've been Tyson.