DVDVR Message Board

Wrestlers are trash "Allegedly"

Kang

1 hour ago, Casey said:

I imagine wrestling *anywhere* is probably a horrorshow for women.

I mean, that's just a sliver of what's going on in the North American indies.

FWIW  Ziggy is the one that Brit Baker refused to wrestle and then lied to the promoter saying Ziggy was being unprofessional. All the while Ziggy was backstage getting ready for their match. Ziggy worked as Jinx at the time. She's one of the nicest people on the indy scene. If she says it's true I believe it. 

Reading all this makes me sick to my stomach.  With it being BritWres I honestly don't know of most of the ones accused.  But I do know that there's been more than enough proof shown to not only make them accountable but to also get the police involved on all of them.  It also makes me think back to how everybody bemoaned NXT UK for killing the scene.  It seems while that hurt them it was ultimately the wrestlers themselves that killed it themselves.

As for the ones I do know of it's a mix of "Yep, sounds about right?"  (namely Elgin and Havoc) and "Really?  Fucking hell."   I liked NXT UK but there's a lot of name wrestlers that have seemed to have done some fucked up shit.  So it wouldn't surprise me in this pandemic if they just get quietly shut down or severely altered.  I'm disappointed to know that Ospreay and Bea blackballed somebody as I liked them both to varying degrees.  And the one that leaves me gutted the most is Scurll who seemed like a delightful fella.  The conversation we had with him at Jimmy's was further reasoning for that.  So considering how much my wife adores him I don't know if I have the heart to tell her.

And to what was said before if it turns out Ali or Bryan did something I think I may legit quit watching for a long while.  Considering all the good they've done that would be too much for me.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, paintedbynumbers said:

FWIW  Ziggy is the one that Brit Baker refused to wrestle and then lied to the promoter saying Ziggy was being unprofessional. All the while Ziggy was backstage getting ready for their match. Ziggy worked as Jinx at the time. She's one of the nicest people on the indy scene. If she says it's true I believe it. 

Dude it's getting weird 

• Like 11

Thinking about it though, Bram's name came back up (new allegations, not the old ones), and if you think, he got the hard cancel from fans, years ago. And his friends in the business kept getting him booked. Fans started boycotting shows he was announced for, so promoters started using him as a mystery opponent to not hurt ticket sales. And he was still working this year, up until Covid-19.

There's a lot of wrestlers getting exposed as sexual predators who were legit draws. There are also promoters getting exposed for the same. Pretty decent chance that once the pandemic is over, some bad promoters are going to try and run shows again, and sleazebag wrestlers will try to get booked on shows again. And for everyone who gets exposed, there are fans casting doubt or insisting they'll still support their favourite, despite what they're accused of. 

What I'm saying is, Outlaw wrestling might become an actual thing. "Don't buy a ticket if you're female" wrestling. Incel wrestling.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Now part of the reason I said that last post was because Progress put out a statement that was basically "We support you. We believe you." etc...

And immediately folks pointed out the way they handled (or didn't handle) the accusations against Jimmy Havoc in 2014

The thing is the aforementioned Sebastian (@HaveYouSeenSeb fka @IfYouSeeSeb) was making 'your favourite indy wrestler {insert creepy ass shit}' and Glen was quite aware of those tweets. Progress closed the 'Pro-Jo' training facility around the time of the allegations around a couple of people (Mike Bird and somebody else, can't remember right now) with trainees - they clearly have tried to distance themselves from trouble, rather than to do anyting to try to stop it.

I'll freely concede to never really being into Progress, because there was just something about Jim and Glen that just came across to me as snide and disingenuous. Could just be me, but there it is.

22 hours ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Not new allegations, but I just became aware of another BritWres guy, a very known internatonal guy, being the subject of a lot of rumours a couple of years back.

I think I can now say that the person in question was Marty Scurll. I didn't want to be responsible for creating a new Sleaze thread..........

This charming charlie

22 minutes ago, AxB said:

Thinking about it though, Bram's name came back up (new allegations, not the old ones), and if you think, he got the hard cancel from fans, years ago. And his friends in the business kept getting him booked. Fans started boycotting shows he was announced for, so promoters started using him as a mystery opponent to not hurt ticket sales. And he was still working this year, up until Covid-19.

There's a lot of wrestlers getting exposed as sexual predators who were legit draws. There are also promoters getting exposed for the same. Pretty decent chance that once the pandemic is over, some bad promoters are going to try and run shows again, and sleazebag wrestlers will try to get booked on shows again. And for everyone who gets exposed, there are fans casting doubt or insisting they'll still support their favourite, despite what they're accused of. 

What I'm saying is, Outlaw wrestling might become an actual thing. "Don't buy a ticket if you're female" wrestling. Incel wrestling.

I kinda expect an incel circuit to pop up on a lot of things.  I hope it makes a lot of rich people poor losing money on the incel shows.

WWE did release a statement regarding Matt Riddle - which was exactly the same as the one they released for Jordan Devlin (take matters seriously. Will investigate)

I am not sure why they haven't done a general statement instead of going person by person but this is also the WWE for you

• Like 2

I like Justin Roberts so it sucks that he's part of this too.  I didn't see technically anything illegal either but asking a 17 year old for pics is pretty scummy.

You know what, just in case to hell with Roberts.  Dasha's been killing it with announcing anyway so I'm cool with her being the main one going forward.  But AEW is going to need to have a serious talking to with Justin and Havoc.  And it would sadden me if there's more than that but with all that's come in I don't know if I can be surprised anymore.

The men dancing while carrying a coffin meme seems so inappropriate. It is great that this is being taken seriously, but this shouldn't be a time of meme celebration and lols. Fuck, social media sucks (as he posts on a message board). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Casey said:

Kind of seems like there's more to it than a simple bar pick-up.

This is one that kinda weirded me out last night on Twitter (which is why I chose not to post anything about it) because people came out ardently to defend him to the point where it was bordering on gaslighting. I get there is some strange shit (apparently, someone asked a question to the ex-bf who tweeted said accusation and got blocked) going on, but you cannot start doing the "well, it's not bad compared to ______" and create your own degree levels. I am not saying string the dude up right now, but it makes no sense to give an innocence verdict right off the bat. Then I saw a tweet to the effect of, "Being sleazy is not criminal", and I had to go to bed on that one. The fuck is wrong with wrestling fans?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

The fuck is wrong with wrestling fans?  

The "My heroes are morally infallible and anyone accusing them of anything must be lying" philosophy is not exactly exclusive to Wrestling fans. In fact, I'd say Wrestling fans are more likely to turn on people they'd previously admired, given that so many of us are so aware of what absolute shitbags many of our legends used to be.

• Like 6