DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 6/17/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I miss Superbad Death Squad. That was seriously one of the best names ever and a license to print all the merchandise monies. 

For the few people commenting last week about Jericho's bat - it lost its name this week. Now it's just known as "the aluminum bat". 

I miss the international object.

I care way more about Billy Gunn in AEW than I ever did in the WWF.

• Like 3

JR's constant low-key trashing of Chuck was juxtaposed by Chuck not giving Jericho a lick of offense. Every time my eyes were on the screen Chuck was cutting Jericho off, tossing him out of the ring or just not selling for him. It made me think that Inner Circle were going over and Chuck was legit pissed about it.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Casey said:

I mean.... do they, though? I know it’s because of COVID, but they’ve all been missing since March, and Fenix is out injured or whatever.

1 hour ago, J.T. said:

This makes better pro wrestling sense but like Casey said, Death Triangle has been MIA for nearly five months.  

True. But I'm guessing Death Triangle is more on pause for now. As soon as Pac and Penta are allowed to come back DT is going to be a thing again and having 2 Death teams would be...overkill? Lol

• Haha 2

Oh boy was that Omega & Page vs Rhodes & QT match ugly.  Sabian and Havoc had a better match with the champs two weeks ago.  It's insane that a team with Dustin Rhodes on it had a worse match than the Superbad Squad.  Ever since Dustin got that knee to the head, everybody was just off.

Stop trying to Shatter Machine the Butcher.  That's twice where he hasn't gone up for it properly.

I loved the 'Taker/Steph shout out in the Swole/Brit segment.  also, baker continues to be tremendous.  "WE ARE ON A FRIENDSHIP TIME OUT."

The Anna Jay/Abadon bait and switch was wonderful.  Jay got the "debuting superstar" buildup package and then, when Abadon came out, my first thought was, "they should be glad there aren't real fans there, because the jobber would be more over than the star!"  But then they put Abadon over.  That was so great.

Oh damn, Cody is wrestling in hour 1!  They seriously need to turn him heel.  His promos come off as so insincere.  But maybe that's acting?  Good job, if so.  

Like Nice Guy Eddie, I loved Butcher's NIN shirt.  Funny seeing it during a show that featured the Natural Nightmares, who are essentially ripping off that logo.

Like others said, the crawl with the dar results was cool.  Made it feel like a sport.

Note to JR: stop calling women "jezebels."  Also stop drooling over dudes being jacked (Billy's other son.).  Stop writing your own storylines based on muscular guys you want to see pushed (Trent).

The camera work in the MJF match, showing him smiling and playing possum, was god damn superb.

The temp NN logo on Dustin gear falling apart was funny.  The Bunny angle is dumb.  Zero time on Dynamite has been dedicated to its backstory.  Why is Brandi so mad about this?

LOLLLLLLLing at Mutagen Wilford Brimley out there

Orange Cassidy and Jericho is going to be awesome.

• Like 4

Man, Cody is really dialing up being a dick and Arn is totally feeding into it too. 

The opening tag match was fine, but I really felt for Dustin. Dude got knocked loopy early in that match and I think that threw the rest of the match off. Dustin is a great worker, but I think we're starting to see the limits of his age.

Abadon is legit scary as fuck. Holy shit.

MOTHERFUCKING DUSTIN AND GREG BEAT JERICHO AND SAMMY! YEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

• Like 6

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed Chuck guzzle up Chris fucking Jericho during the main event. He just kept tossing him into guard rails and had this look on his face like, "not today, fucker." So great. ? I was disappointed to see Chuck not say something about JR's commentary on his twitter. That was some egregious shit. It's one thing to drool over the body guy but to single him out to the detriment of his partner is a bit much to say the least.

And yeah, why are they constantly giving Butcher the shatter machine?! He's twice the size of Blade! I get it the first time, big dude going up for it could make for a great visual but naw. It doesn't. Stop it.

The tag title match was toast the second Dustin took the knees to his dome. The taped on logo on his back flailing was a good metaphor for the match. Awkward. I'm not sure it is his age as much as it was him being possibly concussed. They probably should've had the doctor look at him when he tagged out. 

Their women's division has a bit of everything now. It's still not... good, but it has a lot of potential. I'm willing to watch the growing pains because it's easy to see where it could lead. I still wish they'd bring in one or two more vets or super workers if/when they become available. Just not Nattie. Fuck that.

I'm glad you're all picking up on Cody's subtle, now perhaps not-so-subtle, heel turn foreshadowing. Can't wait. He's a great face but the second he got that tattoo: done. You can say we're being weird and all that, but everybody I've talked to says the same damn thing. May as well embrace the douchiness. And a heel TV champ cheating and stalling for the time limit draw is the way to go. It'll be a star making performance when one of the young guys finally beats him. Now if it's ADR who beats him, or AEW's ADR equivalent, I'll shut the fuck up.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Man, Cody is really dialing up being a dick and Arn is totally feeding into it too. 

There is not enough love for Cody hitting a stalled gourdbuster on poor Ricky Starks with Arn standing there at ringside nodding with approval.  The heel turns a'comin.  Never ever trust an Anderson.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I don't think I've done a bigger 180 on a guy than I have with Cody (with the exception of finding this board and being sold on Mark Henry finally putting it all together). Very, very happy to be wrong on that one. Cannot wait for this Cody/Revival vs Elite feud.

• Like 2

So are we getting a heel Nightmare Family of Cody, Dustin, Dax, Cash and Brandi, with QT played for a sucker, or is it Cody, QT, Dax, Cash and Allie, with Dustin and Brandi being victims of the turn?

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I was disappointed to see Chuck not say something about JR's commentary on his twitter.

He did, but it looks like he deleted it. It was "Greg has always been the leader and I'm the beta" or somesuch

• Haha 3

I hope they stall it out until they get some type of live crowd back (likely not possible), but yeah this is gonna be fun. I look forward to the "who's the fourth man" aspect. Let's run it down:

MJF - the obvious/logical "Tully" choice and history with Cody. Which leads me to think they won't go there.

Archer - The "Sid" choice. Again history with Cody.

Hangman - You could recreate BATB ,96 basically shot for shot. But not a fan of turning your next (current?) big babyface while there's a lot of steam left there.

Omega -  A swerve on the BATB '96 idea (Hangman really does help, then Kenny turns). 

Britt Baker - using a female talent is an outside the box idea, and the gimmick/attitude fit the "Tully" mold.

4 hours ago, Wyld Samurai said:

For the few people commenting last week about Jericho's bat - it lost its name this week. Now it's just known as "the aluminum bat". 

I heard somebody call it Floyd at least once, I think JR. 

Agreed that it wouldn't be bad for Tazz (or Jake) to have some other charges in other divisions. No more factions though please.

9 minutes ago, AxB said:

So are we getting a heel Nightmare Family of Cody, Dustin, Dax, Cash and Brandi, with QT played for a sucker, or is it Cody, QT, Dax, Cash and Allie, with Dustin and Brandi being victims of the turn?

I'm hoping, if Cody gets a faction, he starts a new one and walks away from the Nightmare Family.  THAT would be heelish.  He could claim to be the only winner in the whole group and that he wants to surround himself with winners and real talent. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I'm hoping, if Cody gets a faction, he starts a new one and walks away from the Nightmare Family.  THAT would be heelish.  He could claim to be the only winner in the whole group and that he wants to surround himself with winners and real talent. 

That's the realest shit right there. Arn still needs to be part of it. I would say Tully too, but I don't want Spears being involved with Cody in any way unless it's as a bitch lackey.

And Darby needs to be the one to dethrone Cody. He needs to be the Sting to Cody's Flair and Darby needs to learn from all of the mistakes from the past and overcome the odds to beat Cody. Hell, maybe Darby does that before Cody goes full heel and Cody losing to Darby is the impetus for going full heel.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Also, I normally have no problem with JR, except for when he talks about Chucky. Motherfucker, some dudes like Trent are built for beauty, and some dudes like Chuck are built for destruction...and drinking beer and shooting hoops.

It's like Fedor. Imagine JR talking shit about Fedor in his prime about how Fedor has all the tools and a good frame, but he could put the work into having a better body, all the while Fedor is murking dudes left and right.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's bad enough that everyone assumes that AEW and the TNT title tied to Cody's vanity.  I don't need confirmation by Cody surrounding himself with a Horseman stable and running the second hour of the card to the detriment of The Elite or The Inner Circle. 

Lance Archer should be the one to kill Cody for the TNT Title and then Cody can turn heel after Darby beats him for a #1 Contenders Match for a shot at Archer.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

That Darby then will almost assuredly lose? I think Darby beating Cody and Cody turning heel afterwards is more straightforward. GIMME THAT FOURTUNE 2.0, baby! I want them to really lean into shitty horsemen thing with Cody and FTR. 

Archer can beat any of the top faces any day. In 3 or 4 months, somebody like Darby or Jungle Jack finally showing growth and beating Cody would be a big deal. I like Lance A LOT but I don't think he's ever going to be the #1 heel in a big promotion. Maybe I'm wrong and he turns into long boy Vader. But the TNT title win over Cody could be a platform to elevate a young guy from "oh he's almost there and we can all see it" to "this guy is now a star" level. While I'm glad they are not forcing the young guys into positions they are not ready for yet, this is definitely one of those situations in which you use to raise a dude up a level or two. Lance doesn't need that. He could beat Omega clean. He could beat Hangman clean. Moxley, no problem. With how they've presented him, a giant crazed killer who Jake the fucking Snake can barely control, he can be built up in a different and more direct way. They've established that the TNT title so far as Cody vs. the stars of tomorrow so it's only fitting that is how the reign ends and his heel turn begins. He could even have to outright cheat to survive a more motivated Darby/Jack and that sets up a clear good vs. bad guy dynamic for the title change not much later. Lots of ways to play this out and I'm excited to see where it goes.

Edited by Oyaji

48 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Also, I normally have no problem with JR, except for when he talks about Chucky. Motherfucker, some dudes like Trent are built for beauty, and some dudes like Chuck are built for destruction...and drinking beer and shooting hoops.

It's like Fedor. Imagine JR talking shit about Fedor in his prime about how Fedor has all the tools and a good frame, but he could put the work into having a better body, all the while Fedor is murking dudes left and right.

Not that I want to have this discussion here and it's clearly in hindsight, but one could argue that leaving that minimalist, old school Spartan type training and going to a real gym w/ real trainers would have prolonged his prime. Or at the very least, he wouldn't be going life and death with perennial MMA and now boxing also-ran Fabio Maldonado. Chuck Liddell waited until he got knocked out cold a half dozen times and after having coke/alcohol/recreational drug fueled threesomes in Vegas to try to change his bad habits and get serious. It was far too late. 

Maybe Tyson Fury would be a better example, but he had his own laundry list of problems and got up to 400 pounds. Cormier probably?

Edit: Also, Roy Nelson is another example of the former. That Big Country, belly rubbing shit was funny at first. I dunno if you've seen his recent fights in Bellator, but now he is just a big ass target. He has taken A LOT of punishment. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

I know I’m not adding anything that hasn’t already been said, but Starks looked like a star last night.  He looked WAY more ready for prime time TV than quite a few guys who’ve been featured players on Dynamite so far.  I think he’s going to be a huge pickup for AEW.  Another young pillar of the company.

Im curious to see what they do with him.  Seems like a natural heel act, but MJF and Sammy kinda already have that lane covered.  Maybe they can make him work as a face.

• Like 3