DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 6/17/2020

Dolfan in NYC

I know it's been brought up before, but I really like that Brian Cage is using Kanyon's catchphrase as a tribute. "Who bettah than Cage? Nobody." Combined with Taz calling himself a body guy and that was a killer little segment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, For Great Justice said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Let's roll

I wish that Statlander vs Abadon had this much potential, but I am probably fooling myself.

It still needs to happen just as soon as Kris's knee is 100%.  Alien thicc girl vs. Zombie thicc girl would be PPV worthy If I were confident that neither one would actually kill the other in a match.

Since we're talking Marvel gimmicks in AEW, it's too bad that Rosemary signed a contract with Impact.  I'd like to see her, Abadon, and Su Yung form the LEGION OF THE UNLIVING~!

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Enjoyable show, as per usual. 

Won't go through everything, but one thing I haven't seen mentioned (if someone already said this, apologies, lets blame lockdown fatigue) was the aftermath of the MJF-Billy match. Jungle Boy in street clothes was ready to fucking go and looked a really big deal, absolutely the equal of MJF. His leap off the ring steps across dudes to get to MJF had me whooping. More of that fire from him please. 

PS: fuck JR for ragging on the Kentucky Gentleman, gentlemen don't need to be body guys! 

Edited by Fighting a man with a perm
Adding a PS
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, J.T. said:

It's bad enough that everyone assumes that AEW and the TNT title tied to Cody's vanity.  I don't need confirmation by Cody surrounding himself with a Horseman stable and running the second hour of the card to the detriment of The Elite or The Inner Circle.

Yeah, all this.  I'm torn between "Cody is going to be a great heel" and "aw man, I really don't want AEW to turn into Cody's Old School Cosplay Hour" as a decently talented career midcarder plays notice me senpai with HHH and the ghost of Dusty.  At some point, doesn't Tony Khan need to unify the two competing visions (Cody vs Elite) that exist for AEW?

19 hours ago, Craig H said:

Also, I normally have no problem with JR, except for when he talks about Chucky. Motherfucker, some dudes like Trent are built for beauty, and some dudes like Chuck are built for destruction...and drinking beer and shooting hoops.

It's like Fedor. Imagine JR talking shit about Fedor in his prime about how Fedor has all the tools and a good frame, but he could put the work into having a better body, all the while Fedor is murking dudes left and right.

18 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Not that I want to have this discussion here and it's clearly in hindsight, but one could argue that leaving that minimalist, old school Spartan type training and going to a real gym w/ real trainers would have prolonged his prime. Or at the very least, he wouldn't be going life and death with perennial MMA and now boxing also-ran Fabio Maldonado. Chuck Liddell waited until he got knocked out cold a half dozen times and after having coke/alcohol/recreational drug fueled threesomes in Vegas to try to change his bad habits and get serious. It was far too late. 

Maybe Tyson Fury would be a better example, but he had his own laundry list of problems and got up to 400 pounds. Cormier probably?

Edit: Also, Roy Nelson is another example of the former. That Big Country, belly rubbing shit was funny at first. I dunno if you've seen his recent fights in Bellator, but now he is just a big ass target. He has taken A LOT of punishment. 

There's got to be a happy medium between "don't train too well, be fat, and wrestle the best you can" and "do a bunch of steroids so JR can get hard over how sweet your delts look."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

There's got to be a happy medium between "don't train too well, be fat, and wrestle the best you can" and "do a bunch of steroids so JR can get hard over how sweet your delts look."

You mean like every wrestler in Mid South?

• Like 1

Star making night for Abadon and Starks I thought, it's definitely got me set to seek out more of their matches tomorrow at work. Are there any matches on YouTube or Dailymotion that are highly recommended?

Oof, Dustin taking those double knees to the head.? Sagat himself couldn't land a double knee attack with such precision, maybe Tony Jaa could but damn! Hope Dustin is fine. 

Hahahaha Baker had me howling in her segments!? her popping out of the dumpster like a muppet showing up to chat up Mr Rogers was killing me hahahahahaha!

MJF and Gunn also brought some chuckles and solid story progression with that wild brawl after the match. Really enjoyed the show top to bottom. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

Star making night for Abadon and Starks I thought, it's definitely got me set to seek out more of their matches tomorrow at work. Are there any matches on YouTube or Dailymotion that are highly recommended?

I love this short match with Eddie Kingston in the TV title tournament. It starts about 8 mins in, his full NWA run is pretty much solid gold.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This was such a thoroughly entertaining show.  

The Nightmares-Page/Omega match was an excellent hard hitting back and forth battle.  Everybody looked really good here.  Omega and Page and Dustin are a given, but I'm really starting to think QT might be capable of being something more than a JTTS.  I've always thought he was good, but he's starting to put something interesting together character-wise.  Allie in this heelish role feels right which is a long way from where she began.  Tho, I would have liked an acknowledgment of her defection from the Butcher and Blade (or did I miss that?).  Maybe that's still to come.  

Anna Jay-Abadon wasn't by any means an awesome match, but that was kind of an awesome segment (not unlike a mini Heyman-ECW continuous or rolling angle).  I've long wanted to see a situation like this where somebody is hyped for a debut only to lose.  This booking makes future 'in action' segments of a star versus a lesser known more intriguing as a whole.  Abadon seems like the real deal.  Seems like a bright spot in the struggling Women's division.  Dug that hurricanrana-driver-esque finish.  I'm completely convinced Anna Jay has what they call 'it'.  I really hope her training and experience can meet her star potential.  Dark Order stuff was thrifty and worked just fine for me.  Stoked to see Stu and Uno back.  I love 'em and have missed 'em.  

MJef and 'Billy' of the Gunn Club I skimmed.  The post match was excellent.  Jungle Boy full of fire was terrific.  I'm a bit worried about what a Wardlow-Luchasaurus match will look like, but I'm interested.  

Dark results ticker was a nice addition.  Sammy-Jericho classic style promo was on point.  Britt-Swole segment was alright.  I'm still hoping they give Britt a bodyguard/worker who can get the nice rub from the Doctor's fantastic character work.  Something tells me that's happening soon.

Cody promo seemed to push towards the heel turn some are clamouring for (tho, I really hope not).  Starks video package was good.  Starks in ring was excellent.  No surprise from seeing him work in the NWA.  Really happy to see him get a shot here.  He's got such great potential.  Cody looked good here again.  He's definitely on a solid run here.  

Bucks-SBDS had great flow, and might have been my favorite of the three tags.  There's something really admirable about the Butcher and the Blade losing all their matches but maintaining a focus on being a pair of nasty asskickers.  Liked seeing FTR out there, but they really ought to be letting them talk on weeks off from the ring (like all their top talent).

Taz/Cage promo was good.  Taz might actually be starting to channel that incredible character strength that made him so money so long ago.  I also liked the goofiness of Cage being in his tights out there.  Tip of the hat to the grossly underrated Kanyon was nice.  Does Cage have some sort of history with Kanyon?  

The Jericho/Sammy-Besties main was pretty solid.  Big win for the Besties and in the featured bout helps establish them as credible contenders.  All that said, a bit too much having Sammy use a bat and then a shooting star for 2.  OC-Jericho post match was awesome.  It's a further testament to how awesome OC is that I highly doubt he's winning that match, but it doesn't matter at all.  The fact that he could defeat Jericho is enough.  Very strong booking.  Damn, I echo the wish that this had been in front of a full crowd.  Anyway, la-la-loved this show.  The well oiled AEW pre-pandemic machine seems to have returned (tho, I dearly miss the Death Triangle).  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 7

On 6/19/2020 at 8:50 PM, Hayabusa said:

I know he's been around for a good bit before that show but like Necro said his whole run on Powerr was gold.  As much as I liked his matches on there it was his promos that really got my attention.  He's cocky but somehow very likeable in them and I hope we get some of that energy when it call for it in his AEW run.

Edited by NikoBaltimore