DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 6/17/2020

Dolfan in NYC

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hope we either get an 8 man tag or a 4 way tag match at Fyter Fest with the Young Bucks, FTR, The Butcher & The Blade, and *Superbad Death Squad.

*I don't care they've dropped death from the name; Superbad Squad sounds stupid.

I think they're gonna do an 8 man, so the Bucks and FTR are on the same side for the time being and they hold of on physicality between the teams...for now.

• Like 3

What a great fucking card!

• Hot open with OP vs. NN's.  The better of the tag team title opener of tonight's edition of the Wednesday Night Wars.
  • As per my spoiler, Abadon looks like the victim from H3: Season of the Witch that got her lips burned off by evil magic.  Love the gimmick.  I am good with Anna Jay giving Abadon the spotlight if only to end up joining Dark Order for the win.
  • If you told me that I'd ever love a Billy Gunn match, I'd say you were fucking crazy, but here we are.  MJF is finally losing his X-Pac heat via injecting self depreciating humor in his spots.  Whomever he is talking to for match advice, he needs to keep listening to that person.
  • We are finally getting Wardlow vs. Luchasaurus even if it is in a dumb gimmick match where Wardlow will cheat to get over.
  • Superbad Squad vs. Bucks was a fucking mess.  Too many cooks in the kitchen.  Superbad Squad needs to go back to being Superbad Death Squad.  It has a better Chikara ring to it even if it is only marginally better sounding than Superbad Squad.  I will give kudos to Jimmy Havoc for continually dumping a Jackson brother out of the ring in order to isolate the legal man and get a win.  At least somebody was acting like victory was important.
  • Ricky Starks is fucking aces and got in more offense than I thought he would (that hellafied spear, tho...) and Cody is showing more signs of heel turn.  Stay tuned.
  • Britt passing notes to Tony was comedy gold.
  • Main event was solid and for once it wasn't a TNT Title match.  
Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I wonder if they're gonna do another battle royale. That crowd brawl could be foreshadowing. 

I think they did that to foreshadow the lumberjack match next week between Wardlow and Luchasaurus.

• Like 2

I forgot to note I dug opening the show with a title match. This is a real old school trick from when people still tried to sell wrestling as real, so you'd put on the real main event before the end "so we won't run out of TV time". They made no effort to sell that here in 2020 of course, but I still thought it was neat.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

One of three very funny things tonight, the other two being MJF being called a boil on the ass of the world, and the other being Tazz claiming to do "body guy stuff" when he's been mainlining Ho-Hos ever since he became an announcer.

You missed one! When one of the announcers was talking about something and the audio cut out (Could have just been a local thing on my end, too) so he went (talking about Nick): "And Nick's in danger of being choked with his own [silence]" so it REALLY sounded like he said "being choked with his own dick" and somehow censored it.  I also thought at one point that JR said that Butcher and Blade looked like "Two guys from a vape shop" and I thought "What do you know, he's right!" then realized there is no way that JR has any idea what a vape shop is and realized I almost definitely misheard.

55 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I hope we either get an 8 man tag or a 4 way tag match at Fyter Fest with the Young Bucks, FTR, The Butcher & The Blade, and *Superbad Death Squad.

*I don't care they've dropped death from the name; Superbad Squad sounds stupid.

I would guess someone in charge figured it would be a good idea to drop the 'Death' part in order to get ahead of any "[Government/Terrorist/Religious] Death Squad kills hundreds in deadly attack" headlines in the future and have to quickly scrub the audio on their broadcast.  I agree that it sounded cooler, but it's probably a good name to avoid, in all honesty.  

Superbad Squad, on the other hand, really sounds like a Michael Cera and McLovin teaming up with Boomerang Man in the most ambitious crossover event no ever needed.

• Like 3

Really good tag title opener. Absolutely loved Abadon's Dynamite debut and was shocked to see her get the win coming off the Anna Jay in action hype + video package, but very cool. Anna Jay looks great and should be a solid addition to the division while Abadon is a great official new signing, I hope she becomes a breakout star. I thought there was supposed to be a part two of the Sonny/Janela movie from last week but instead they're just teaming next week. BILLY is still greatness. Cool to see Ricky Starks sign. Tonight was the first time I really saw the mentioned signs of a Cody heel turn with the not so subtle Horsemen referencing during the promo, but I still don't wanna see him turn at all, my favorite babyface in wrestling and I miss hearing the crowd pops for his entrance. Solid main event where the outcome was always obvious that Orange would somehow cost Jericho, they had a couple great near falls anyways, I didn't even realize it was the main event and the show was ending there. Great show.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Infinit said:

Maybe they dropped Death from the Superbad Squad because they already have a Death Triangle?

I mean.... do they, though? I know it’s because of COVID, but they’ve all been missing since March, and Fenix is out injured or whatever.

17 minutes ago, caley said:

Superbad Squad, on the other hand, really sounds like a Michael Cera and McLovin teaming up with Boomerang Man in the most ambitious crossover event no ever needed.

or a James Brown Tribute Band

• Haha 1

I want Omega-Page to be camps forever those two opening Dynamites by defending the tag belts will never get old to me.

Also good for Ricky Starks I’m sad to see him leave The NWA but I’m ok with it meaning he’s in AEW. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, J.T. said:

Oh what a bunch of shit.  The Superbad Death Squad is now just the Superbad Squad just like Dolfan said.  I am free to hate them again.

Interesting that both NXT and AEW would both put on tag title matches as the curtain jerkers. 

AEW traditionally opens with tag titles- I think they see the tag belts in kinda the same way NJPW treats their Jr.Tags, as great card openers, and 3rd most important match on the card.

It's too bad they can't copy MLW and call it Superbad Sentai Squad.

Add Ricky Starks to the potential main eventers AEW has in their midcard.  Darby/Sammy/Ricky/Jungle Boy/MJF/Kip could be AEW's version of the Smackdown Six.

Edited by alstein
  • Like 1

Really liked this episode. My only real complaint is the way the Q.T. Anderson- Allie angle is being handled. I mean, she didn't do anything heelish, so why are we supposed to boo her? If she's supposed to be a heel, have her blame Dustin for the loss of something.

Edited by mystman

1 minute ago, Casey said:

I mean it’s pretty clear to me that she doesn’t actually like QT and she’s being fake as fuck.

If you say so, I've missed a few weeks live, and have relied on recaps. Maybe I missed something, but tonight I didn't see anything like that.

Last week on Dark she faked the same injury that Brandi had (from QT running into her) because QT was worried about Brandi for like a second before Allie suddenly got a hand injury from the wind. Took him out of the game for a minute in his match with Zack Clayton.

In general he’s neglecting his tag partner and the valet he had first (and is supposedly “family” with) because all of the sudden Allie is showing interest in him and that’s making him lose focus.

It’s nothing in your face, telling you exactly what the story is supposed to be, but I think it’s clear to pretty much everyone that something is afoot here with Allie and she has ulterior motives.

• Like 2

This week on Dark she tagged with Brandi faked an Ankle Injury "bravely" got to the ring apron. Let Brandi wrestle 2 on 1 and when Brandi was on the cusp of winning  blind tagged herself in let Brandi hit the Spear then did the Warrior one foot cover to win and her ankle was magically fine. 

Taz has completely exceeded expectations as a manager. Shame it took 20 years for somebody to do this with him. They should hook Nyla up with him as well, and Butcher & Blade as well. Let’s try to get Taz into all the divisions.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Infinit said:

Maybe they dropped Death from the Superbad Squad because they already have a Death Triangle?

This makes better pro wrestling sense but like Casey said, Death Triangle has been MIA for nearly five months.  

Edited by J.T.

I did not know that Kris Stadlander vs Abadon would be the ladies weird gimmick big girl kaiju battle I needed to see on television as soon as possible.  My head says that It will be ugly and full of botches but my heart does not care.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, eikerir said:

Some random thoughts:

“You don’t need a hat to be a cowboy”

Britt sending notes to Toby was tremendous.

Anna Jay might be the hottest women I’ve ever seen in wrestling. I’m surprised she lost but the focus was kept on her with the angle afterwards.

I like the graphics showing Dark results, nice little touch.

I can’t stand Austin Gunn, he draws way too much attention to himself every time I see him. 

They Young Bucks vs Superbad Squad was such a mess. Way too much crap going on in and outside the ring, felt extremely disjointed and all over the place.

Jericho vs Chuck Taylor was always a bit of an impossible dream match for me, Its surreal seeing them go at it. 

“Trent is without a doubt the leader of Best Friends”, “The dominant male in that team”, “Trent clearly the MVP of this duo”. WTF are you talking about JR? Way to put over Trent at Taylor’s expense for no reason.

OC vs Jericho at Fyter Fest, the true greatest match ever.

Yea dude I always thought it was just because he doesn't look like a bodybuilder, but JR just really kinda seems to not like what Chuck is serving up. Major bummer. But yeah, seeing him in there with Jericho was big fun for sure.

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I did not know that Kris Stadlander vs Abadon would be the ladies weird gimmick big girl kaiju battle I needed to see on television as soon as possible.  My head says that It will be ugly and full of botches but my heart does not care.

Same!! But unfortunately, Statlander shredded her knee last week. I heard estimates as high as 8-9 months for a return. So we'll be waiting a bit, but I'm sure we'll get there.

• Like 2