DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 6/17/2020

Dolfan in NYC

On tap for tonight:

FOR THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Kenny Omega & Hangman Page vs. The Natural Nightmares

FOR THE #1 CONTENDERSHIP TO THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Le Sex Gods vs.  Best Friends 

Cody defends the TNT Championship

Young Bucks vs. Superbad Squad

MJF vs. Billy

Anna Jay in action

I'm not loving the constant changing of the tag title match at Fyter Fest.  First it was Omega and Page vs Best Friends, then came the Omega and Page vs SDS match where it was announced the winner would wrestler Best Friends, now it's Omega and Page vs NN and Friends vs Sex Gods with the winners facing each other?  Okay then. I understand the storyline reason for Best Friends putting up their title shot, and I'm looking forward to the matches tonight, but it's way too much if then then that let's change up the card shit for me.

I hope there's a cool surprise planned for the Cody match.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 1

That's SUPERBAD DEATH SQUAD~!

I agree with Technico.  Unless they're really going to challenge the whole idea of CARD SUBJECT TO CHANGE and mess around with the #1 Contender or God forbid have a tag title change upset tonight, why book matches that probably won't affect the PPV locks on the booking for Fyter Fest?

I want to be interested in MJF vs. Gunn, but I don't because MJF won't be booked to lose to Billy Ass in the middle of his push to the moon.

Hopefully Janella and Kiss will make their tag-team debut tonight as well.

Edited by J.T.

50 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Hopefully Janella and Kiss will make their tag-team debut tonight as well.

I know it's not Dynamite but they're 3-0 on Dark.  So it seems like they've been an off and on team for a bit and I'm hoping that means wins for when they make their Dynamite debut.

• Like 1

Oh what a bunch of shit.  The Superbad Death Squad is now just the Superbad Squad just like Dolfan said.  I am free to hate them again.

Interesting that both NXT and AEW would both put on tag title matches as the curtain jerkers. 

Edited by J.T.

Some random thoughts:

“You don’t need a hat to be a cowboy”

Britt sending notes to Toby was tremendous.

Anna Jay might be the hottest women I’ve ever seen in wrestling. I’m surprised she lost but the focus was kept on her with the angle afterwards.

I like the graphics showing Dark results, nice little touch.

I can’t stand Austin Gunn, he draws way too much attention to himself every time I see him. 

They Young Bucks vs Superbad Squad was such a mess. Way too much crap going on in and outside the ring, felt extremely disjointed and all over the place.

Jericho vs Chuck Taylor was always a bit of an impossible dream match for me, Its surreal seeing them go at it. 

“Trent is without a doubt the leader of Best Friends”, “The dominant male in that team”, “Trent clearly the MVP of this duo”. WTF are you talking about JR? Way to put over Trent at Taylor’s expense for no reason.

OC vs Jericho at Fyter Fest, the true greatest match ever.

• Like 4

Double congrats to Abadon tonight! She becomes the first local talent to win a match, and she's signed with the company! Easily one of my favorites the first time I saw her.

"Superbad Squad" sounds much worse then "Superbad Death Squad", I'd wish they'd change it back. But I loved the apperance of the deadly PISO MOJADO sign.

Edited by The Green Meanie

Those beanies on B&B gotta go. Seriously. 

Abadon coming out looking like a victim of the Rage Virus was a trip. 

Did we get Bleeding From Ear AGAIN tonight? (and yeah Orange that bandaid didn't fool me, we saw where that blood came from last week)

EDIT: Also, if you told me my favorite match tonight would be the Billy Gunn match I would have questioned your sanity but there it is.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Honestly, most of this show ruled. I didn't like the Young Bucks match which was just too fucking much of everything for my tastes, but that's what they do. Athletically it was great but it's just not really my jam. Rest was good. The TNT title having a feel that even an outsider could show up to challenge is actually pretty cool.

Is Dustin Rhodes the new Terry Funk? What the fuck are you doing adding more high flying at your age? Go for it, old man.

MJF actually got me to watch a Billy Gunn match from start to finish and not say anything bad about it, what the fuck.

Ricky Starks and Abadon. Hell yeah. Ricky Starks is probably a top 5, definitely top 10 promo in America right now. And the match was very good too. I didn't really enjoy much of the other wrestling going on but it was another fine build-up show. I know they're giving us big matches in a couple of weeks for two straight episodes but I do feel like we've been missing a big marquee match-up since the PPV. It's fine because I'd rather them go for the sustainable approach, keep the big matches important, and build slowly than the opposite, but gimme a big 8 man tag with a concentration of top guys in it, please. Like we'll probably see FTR & Bucks vs. the two tags they beat up tonight. I'm for that. Right now it's a whole helluva lot of stars vs. midcard and newcomers. 

That dumpster promo was hilarious cheesy wrestling. Baker is very good at what she's doing. Being sidelined has allowed the focus to be on her strengths, not her weakness (in ring). 

Edited by Oyaji

8 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

That dumpster promo was hilarious cheesy wrestling.

One of three very funny things tonight, the other two being MJF being called a boil on the ass of the world, and the other being Tazz claiming to do "body guy stuff" when he's been mainlining Ho-Hos ever since he became an announcer.

Tag title match was great as always. Page was laying it in tonight, some of those lariats were on point.

Britt was great all night. 

Glad we saw some new faces. I laughed that Anna Jay lost after they showed that package of her and I'm interested to see where they go with her in the Dark Order. Abadon is a great character, not the smoothest in the ring but the package works so far.

I enjoyed Billy/MJF. Billy worked like the big man he is and Max taking the leg apart was solid stuff. Wardlow gets my vote for Hit of the Night for finally shutting Austin Gunn up. I'd be into a Jurassic Express/MJF and Wardlow match.

Ricky Starks! More Cody foreshadowing! Hager was watching the TV like a normal person!

Superbad Squad/Young Bucks was fine. I want to like Superbad Squad, they're putting some good stuff together but they haven't gelled quite yet. I would like to see all those guys in a 16-man tag.

I want to see what Jericho does with Cassidy. That'll be a fun mix.

I hope we either get an 8 man tag or a 4 way tag match at Fyter Fest with the Young Bucks, FTR, The Butcher & The Blade, and *Superbad Death Squad.

*I don't care they've dropped death from the name; Superbad Squad sounds stupid.