DVDVR Message Board

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 12: Blaydes vs. Volkov (6/20/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

EaAhrOHXsAEcHFn.jpeg?1591710559

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 12: Blaydes vs. Volkov 
June 20, 2020
Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Curtis Blaydes (261) vs. Alexander Volkov (247) - Blaydes, DEC (unanimous)
Josh Emmett (146) vs. Shane Burgos (146) - Emmett, DEC (unanimous)
Raquel Pennington (136) vs. Marion Reneau (136) - Pennington, DEC (unanimous)
Belal Muhammad (170.5) vs. Lyman Good (170.5) - Muhammad, DEC (unanimous)
Jim Miller (159.5) vs. Roosevelt Roberts (160) - Miller, SUB (armbar), R1 (2:25)

ESPN/ESPN+ Preliminary Card:
Clay Guida (154.5) vs. Bobby Green (155.5) - Green, DEC (unanimous)
Tecia Torres (116) vs. Brianna Van Buren (115) - Torres, DEC (unanimous)
Marc-André Barriault (185.5) vs. Oskar Piechota (185.5) - No Contest (Barriault USADA Violation for Ostarine)
Cortney Casey (123.5) vs. Gillian Robertson (125.5) - Robertson, SUB (rear naked choke), R3 (3:46)
Frank Camacho (158)* vs. Justin Jaynes (156) - Jaynes, TKO (referee stoppage), R1 (0:41)
Roxanne Modafferi (125.5) vs. Lauren Murphy (125.5) - Murphy, DEC (unanimous)
Austin Hubbard (156) vs. Max Rohskopf (155) - Hubbard, TKO (fighter retirement), R2 (5:00)

*Forfeits 20% of purse for missing weight

Event Bonuses ($50,000)
Performance of the Night: Justin Jaynes
Performance of the Night: Jim Miller
Fight of the Night: Josh Emmett vs. Shane Burgos

Rating: 912,000 viewers

Edited by Elsalvajeloco

On 6/16/2020 at 8:00 PM, Elsalvajeloco said:

UFC Fight Night on ESPN 12: Blaydes vs. Volkov 

Wikipedia and Sherdog both list this event as UFC on ESPN 11. UFC's website doesn't list event numbers (and hasn't for some time, but i'm sure you know that). I assume you're including one of the events cancelled due to COVID-19.  I don't think this is a big deal, but thought it was worth pointing out.

Significantly better main card than last week's event. matches i'm most looking forward to:

Torres vs. BVB
Muhammad vs Good
Emmett vs Burgos
Blaydes vs Volkov

17 hours ago, twiztor said:

Wikipedia and Sherdog both list this event as UFC on ESPN 11. UFC's website doesn't list event numbers (and hasn't for some time, but i'm sure you know that). I assume you're including one of the events cancelled due to COVID-19.  I don't think this is a big deal, but thought it was worth pointing out.

Significantly better main card than last week's event. matches i'm most looking forward to:

Torres vs. BVB
Muhammad vs Good
Emmett vs Burgos
Blaydes vs Volkov

I'm glad you asked...apparently, for some reason all the MMA websites decided to not count the Smith vs. Teixeira card as either a ESPN+ or ESPN card. It's just UFC Fight Night: Smith vs. Teixeira. Another thing is they went back and forth on the Brasilia card. That was originally an ESPN+ card. However, they waffled between what they wanted to call it when it was simulcast on ESPN in its entirety. I try to stick to whatever Tapology, Wikipedia, etc. are calling it, but these websites are fucking up. I counted the Brasilia show as an ESPN card and not Fight Night on ESPN+ 28. I have the Smith vs. Teixeira card as the 28th ESPN+ show. That one was the last show exclusively on ESPN+. They've counted all the other shows that are on both ESPN and ESPN+ as an ESPN card. So why is the Brasilia card not an ESPN card too? Thus, I am a number ahead of them. 

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Poirier/Hooker is some good shit. Think Poirier takes it via KO. No way can Hooker take the shots from Poirier that he took from Felder.

I definitely favor Poirier, but this could be a perfect "trap" matchup. Guy anxiously trying to get back in line for a title shot + guy who should lose but more talented than people give him credit for = recipe for an upset.

36 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

This fight could be as bad as Good/Muhammad was good.

And here I thought I was tough on Raquel Pennington.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Haha 1

Holy fuck. In any other year in forever, this would be fight of the year. Burgos is a fuckin madman. Same thing as the Kattar fight. Rolls with punches, hands always down for offense. One of the best jabs in the history of the sport. But he gets hit too much even with the reach advantage. I thought with the leg work, Emmett would fade later on and his power would go. Hell no. Super impressive from him. Both guys are awesome. Tremendous fight. 

Edit: good thing that wasn't five rounds for both of those fighters' long-term health. 

Holy shit, this Dana self congratulatory advertisement. So greedy. 

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Holy shit, this Dana self congratulatory advertisement. So greedy. 

Talking shit about the major leagues when you have two guys in a cage versus sports that have TEAMS WITHIN TEAMS of human beings working together in close quarters is the most self-fellating piece of garbage I've seen in awhile. Without turning on the news, of course. 

That Dana piece reminded me of how after the Montreal screwjob, Vince tried to do serious segments for three weeks positioning himself as the babyface because Bret "wouldn't do the right thing", and the fans just shit all over it. That basically led to the birth of the Mr. McMahon character we all love to hate.

Anyway I've had this show on but I know who fucking nobody on this show is to be honest. Blaydes used the Mortal Kombat music as his entrance theme so I'm rooting for him.

• Like 1