DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 6/10/2020

Dolfan in NYC

Also Dynamite should have a weekly segment where Jeticho berates Excalibur. I really hope when he wraps up his in ring career Jericho moves to commentary. 

• Like 2

A very solid show.

FTR vs. Butcher / Blade was weird as both teams were teetering between tweener and heel.  It was cool to see them finish off B&B with the Brainbuster's spike piledriver while the Brainbusters were out in the audience.

Ladies tag was perfectly fine and it was obviously there to give Penelope Ford some ring time since she is as green as grass.  Nyla Rose is fucking awesome.

What is the best way to get me to love workers I absolutely hate?  Give Kip Sabian and Jimmy Havoc a Chikara sounding tag-team name like the SUPERBAD DEATH SQUAD~!  

Orange Cassidy bled buckets, so I am good with the finish of the six man tag.  I have been hit in the back with a bag of Clementines before and that shit hurt.  I am not sure if I'd have signed up to get brained with a gigantic sack of oranges.  You may as well have hit Cassidy with a pillow case stuffed with doorknobs.  Not safe.

Poor Sammy.  Even a high profile win over Colt Cabana is just a means to tease Colt joining Dark Order.  And after that, the man can't even celebrate without Matt fucking Hardy getting in his business.

I am good with Moxley and Cage paying tribute to the parking lot brawl between Jerry Lawler and Eddie Gilbert.

I hate the look of the TNT belt, but as long as Cody is going to use it to get guys like Jungle Boy and Marq Quen over with the audience, I can accept it. And yeah.  Cody = Ring Psychology.  Oh, so you think you have a speed advantage, Marq Quen?  If so, then I'll just do my best to re-injure the ankle you kayfabe injured last week!

One day, someone might remember that Cody was only barred from challenging for the AEW title as long as Jericho was holding the title... which he isn't anymore.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

So last time Cody was on Dark, he won with the Gail Lock (which is a sideways Scorpion Deathlock he stole from Gail Kim, hence the name). He then pinned Shawn Spears with a figure four, and tonight tapped out Marq Quen with an Ankle Lock. How many leglock finishers is he planning on having?

Thoughts on the first half of the show (trying to watch the rest later!)

Really good tag match between FTR and B&B.  Best I've seen B&B look so far.

While I liked Jericho on commentary with Tony a few weeks back, I don't think he worked that well in a four-man booth.  Just too much of him stepping on everyone else to get his shit in, and just YELLING to damn much. 

I enjoyed the women's match except for the legdrop spot, which took too long to set up and made the babyfaces look like morons who couldn't figure out how to get off the ropes.  Funny how a beltshot finish can look so great when you rarely do it. 

I really did not want to harp on Ross this week but god damn.  Someone quite obviously told JR to stop noting women's size and instead to use the word "strong" instead of "big" or "built like a linebacker."  There was a point where Statlander did a bodypress and Ross noted how she was a "BIG WOWMAN" and then quickly corrected it to "STRONG WOWMAN."  Later, she did a moonsault and you could hear the gears turning as he did his internal find and replace, noting how that was an impressive move for such a STRONG WOWMAN, which makes zero sense.  "Big" makes sense in that case but he's clearly been told to substitute it.  He's working on it but couldn't help noting that Statlander is "pushing a buck seventy five."  God damn JR.  And that's not even factual, as it's obvious she's losing weight.

I liked the six man for what it was, clearly just a quick match to set up an angle.  Nice, brutal beating by The Inner Circle.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 3

Yeah, the only problem I had with the women's match was the legdrop spot.  Usually Nyla gutdrapes the victim really hard over the rope so that the face has the excuse to be there gasping for air and waiting to get bombed.  This time Nyla ginergly draped Kris and Shida over the top rope and they were obviously waiting to get hit.

Usually implies that someone maybe chatted to Nyla about being too stiff but given the unhealthy knee strikes I've seen Shida and Statlander deliver to downed opponents in the past, that would be bit pot kettle black.

The only worker I've seen remotely sell that spot like it should be sold is Riho, so maybe Nyla should abandon it for the time being.

I was waiting for Scrape by Unsane to kick in during Darby's skateboard bail montage.

Edited by J.T.

7 minutes ago, J.T. said:

Yeah, the only problem I had with the women's match was the legdrop spot.  Usually Nyla gutdrapes the victim really hard over the rope so that the face has the excuse to be there gasping for air and waiting to get bombed.  This time Nyla ginergly draped Kris and Shida over the top rope and they were obviously waiting to get hit.

Should have just had Ford run in and beat on them both while they were lying there waiting for Nyla to climb the ropes.  That would have looked worlds better.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Should have just had Ford run in and beat on them both while they were lying there waiting for Nyla to climb the ropes.  That would have looked worlds better.

She could've at least gotten a couple shots in and held them in position while Nyla got ready to jump.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 3

Xia Brookside was pissed off (on twitter) that Penelope stole her finishing move. But Ospreay set her straight pretty quickly.

They're really starting to get on a roll.  Solid and entertaining show.  Lionheart Chris Jericho on commentary makes everything that much better.  

FTR-B&B made for a nice debut for Harwood/Wheeler.  Nice touch with the legends taking notes.  So much better than regular crowd shots.  La la loved the Power and Glory Powerplex - tho the splash looked a bit awkward and painful.  Shatter Machine didn't quite hit the mark either, but they finished strong with the stuff piledriver.  As much as I dig them (moreso Butcher), I have no issue with where the Butcher/Blade are at.  They have good presence, but they still have some kinks to work out.  At some point they'll get themselves a manager who'll guide them, if not to the top, onto a winning streak.  Post match was alright, but r the Bucks going heel?  I'm pretty new to FTR other than a trio of their classic NXT bouts.  I might be jumping the shark a little, but I feel like these guys could not only have some great matches but also be legitimate big draws. 

Statlander/Shida-Nyla/Ford was fine.  That double knee was an impressive clip, but the set-up of this move of having somebody stay draped in position makes no sense.  Quick fix here, have Ford hold them there.  But that's not happening from the inexperienced Penelope.  I like Ford, but she's nowhere near ready to be pushed.  Nyla on the otherhand is improving all the time, and I think it's a bit overlooked.  I was preparing to FFWD some of this, but Jericho on commentary kept me locked.  

The Darby-Hawk piece was fine, but could have used a tighter edit.  Baker video was a bit redundant.  

Besties-IC was also good.  I dug it, but would have prefered the OC bit where he looks to match power with the bigger man (see his indie tag bout against Scott Steiner) rather than the simple hands up to the pockets bit.  That's not so much a complaint as OC is money and continues to shine.  The post match was good too, but like a lot of things on the show (OC in general) reminds me of the obvious - how much better wrestling is with a hot crowd.  They really need to teach Schiavone how much more effective the visuals are without his overselling. 'Blood Oranges' did you get that?  OC-Jericho has the makings of something special.  

Sammy-Colt had nice flow and action.  The overbooked post match worked just fine.  Loved seeing Uno and Grayson back!   I hope this indicates a loosening of travel restrictions that brings us the Death Triangle back to Dynamite soon.          

Janela segment... 

On 6/10/2020 at 10:22 PM, Death From Above said:

This Joey Janella segment committed one of my big peeves. The whole show is shot like "a wrestling show" but then this is shot like "a movie" for no obvious reason. Lucha Underground made this work by sticking to a consistent tone where every out of ring segment is a movie, you can't just do this shit because it looks cool. A lot of my problems with this show so far are production/agent stuff and not wrestler stuff.

I agree.  I'm also really badly wanting to see Janela play his natural role as a heel.  And in a Freebird situation as a manager/wrestler. 

Cage/Taz-Mox segment was solid.  

Quen-Cody was fun.  Told a good story.  Quen got reeled in a little and looked tighter than the often sloppy PP tag matches.  Cody's starting this silver belt run beautifully.  I don't see a Cody heel turn so imminently.  He's working the tweener (as far as in ring) very well.  I think ppl sometimes forget what an incredible babyface promo he is.  Yeah, eventually he's gonna be a heel, but a turn now would be completely unnecessary.  This is the most I've looked forward to a Hager match.  To be honest, he's been slowly winning me over.  Ha, I think it was the poem at the pep rally that really elevated him. 

This show over the past couple weeks, even without a substantial crowd, is starting to feel like what they so nicely had going pre-pandemic.  Lots of reason to care about things.  It's really a simple thing, but I just like that they're building to and announcing the matches for the next week and the weeks to come.  It makes the show feel like there's some forward motion and reason.         

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, AxB said:

Xia Brookside was pissed off (on twitter) that Penelope stole her finishing move. But Ospreay set her straight pretty quickly.

If everyone who used the DDT paid royalties to Jake The Snake, he'd have weed money for the rest of his life.

Just be like KENTA.  If someone nicks your finsher, make up another one that looks even more lethal than the last one.  I actually hate the GTS and would rather see KENTA kill people with the Busiaku Knee Kick.

As much as I like Will's answer the simpler answer is that Xia works in the WWE and Penelope works in AEW, so I don't see the issue.  Your badass move is still unique enough for most of your hardened viewers.

Now if I were Xia and all of a sudden Aliyah started using the Wing Breaker or her Brookside Bomb, she and I would have a long talk in the parking lot... 

I'd probably have a tire iron in my hands.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did Christopher Daniels piss and moan like Xia is doing when Tomasso Ciampa started using the Angel's Wings as his finisher? 

Cody Rhodes is in the same fed using the Last Rites (now the Cross Rhodes) FFS.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

I agree about Penelope as well. I have no idea how good of a promo she is and I doubt she's as good as Britt, but in ring she's been good. Her pairing with Sabian reminds me of Kross and Scarlet where I'm more interested in what each woman does than their male counterpart. 

As much as I enjoyed this show, it feels like they really ought to be finding more ways to get their stars without bouts on camera each week.  Namely Omega and Page.  Having them show up in that post match scrum is a start, but let's hear what those two have to say about it all.   So to the Death Triangle - just give me a brief Pac VO of Lucha Bros/Pac highlights.  It's not like anybody is forgetting these guys, but it seems like a bit of a waste to not fit in your money stars each week.  They don't seem to have any trouble getting Britt in there.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus

Jericho was great on commentary again. He had me rolling when he said "Jim! It's your birthday!" when he pointed out FTR were using the tag ropes. Agreed, a four man booth is far too much but Jericho has a guaranteed semi-retirement job when he's ready. He was doing play by play just as well as Excalibur and had great commentary.

The women's tag was indeed good. Looks like they could be running with the WWE booking shortcut of "she pinned the champion, that means she gets a title shot" but Penelope has improved so she's earned a showing if not an actual shot (she just lost to Statlander, for instance).

6 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

As much as I enjoyed this show, it feels like they really ought to be finding more ways to get their stars without bouts on camera each week.  Namely Omega and Page.  Having them show up in that battle is a start, but let's hear what those two have to say about it all.   So to the Death Triangle - just give me a brief Pac VO of Lucha Bros/Pac highlights.  It's not like anybody is forgetting these guys, but it seems like a bit of a waste to not fit in your money stars each week.  They don't seem to have any trouble getting Britt in there.  

I agree with this. The roster feels small right now so using a segment each week to keep some of the missing members in our psyches. What's Pentagon up to in the quarantine? Snapping every broom in his house practicing breaking arms? That said, the Britt vignette and this Janella/Kiss movie were good too. I get the argument that Janella's bit was more in line with Lucha Underground than AEW but I'm willing to go out on a limb and say this was the wrestlers filming their own movie and not supposed to be an actual scene from reality but that's some silver medal mental gymnastics and I won't stand by that. I'll have to see more to judge.

Main event was again solid. Cody going after the injured ankle wasn't sold as all that heelish but it's another sign of a potential turn. Perhaps it's Arn's tutelage that's driving Cody to the dark side, there's a lot you can do with that dynamic. I hope we don't have Cody singles matches main eventing every Dynamite, he can open the show when he's wrestling someone on Quen's level and let Moxley and Cage close with a brawl. It's also cool Cody wants to prove himself to, I assume, Twitter and Reddit CHUDs but wrestling every Wednesday doesn't have the same cache as wrestling broadways seven times a week and twice on Sunday so I'm not sure if he'll get what he's looking for from this exercise. Or maybe this is all part of his heel turn! It's pretty meta but I'd buy it.

- Just finished the show. I love Cody but him going long every week is gonna give me bad flashbacks to old RVD ECW TV title matches against like Chris Chetti that went on for half the show. I mean, logically Cody should lose this belt in three weeks from being run down from these epics. They need to have Cody start dispatching guys in like three minutes for a few weeks because this is gonna get indulgent. 

- What I liked most about this show was it reminded me of like a really good Smackdown from like ten years ago, back when Vince didn't pay attention to the show. It was just a pretty simple two-hour show that didn't attempt to hot-shot everything, didn't feel the need to force-feed us everyone on the roster and set-up stories moving forward. This company could easily be throwing Moxley and Omega and Jericho in matches every week and burn out the audience but instead the booking is just so patient. Was this the most exciting show? No, but I also don't feel exhausted after watching it and am excited to watch next week. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Just too much of him stepping on everyone else to get his shit in, and just YELLING to damn much. 

This. To his benefit I will note that he still was putting over everything at the same time as being an obnoxious heel. 

3 hours ago, J.T. said:

I was waiting for Scrape by Unsane to kick in during Darby's skateboard bail montage.

That was running through my head for no reason when I woke up yesterday. HOW DID I NOT MAKE THE CONNECTION?! 

If you need me I will now be busy downloading Unsane albums

Also, when Jericho busted out the oranges I was expecting the madballs to make their return. Putting them all in one big sack was an even better idea. 

5 hours ago, AxB said:

So last time Cody was on Dark, he won with the Gail Lock (which is a sideways Scorpion Deathlock he stole from Gail Kim, hence the name). 

I must've stopped watching Impact around the time she started using that move unless you are referring to the Stretch Muffler sub finisher she started using after she stopped using the Christo.

Edited by J.T.