DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 6/10/2020

Dolfan in NYC

On tap for tonight:

FTR vs. The Butcher & The Blade

Sammy Guevara vs Colt Cabana

Inner Circle (Jake Hager, Santana & Ortiz) vs Best Friends & Orange Cassidy

TNT Championship Open Challenge - Cody (c) vs Marq Quen

FTR vs. The Butcher & The Blade: Should be a fun little squash, but they'll need to shit or get off the pot with B&B at some point, right?  I believe Williams & Pepper are bigger than a lot of the guys in the tag division, and I like their gimmick, so it feels like a waste to keep them as JTTS.

Sammy Guevara vs Colt Cabana: Should be great.  I'm curious about how the booking will go, as both guys need a win.

Inner Circle (Jake Hager, Santana & Ortiz) vs Best Friends & Orange Cassidy: Should be a nice one.

TNT Championship Open Challenge - Cody (c) vs Marq Quen: I'm hoping this will give us some idea of Cody's booking moving forward.  It's being speculated that he's turning heel but I didn't see it last week, with the exception of having a massive celebration with pyro and all his friends just for beating Jungle Boy. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

On tap for tonight:

FTR vs. The Butcher & The Blade

Inner Circle (Jake Hager, Santana & Ortiz) vs Best Friends & Orange Cassidy

TNT Championship Open Challenge - Cody (c) vs Marq Quen

Missing one

eagbbuzwsaepvl_.jpg

This is the first time I've watched AEW, this shit is on TSN so why not. I made notes throughout the evening. Oh god it's 2020 and I'm watching wrestling again.

Butcher/Blade vs FTR

I didn't see a face team out here, which was weird. Other than that the match was fine. Everything was executed well. I don't really think it needed this many near falls but it's not like they did anything too crazy. Lots of good double team moves. Announcers killed the best false finish with the old chestnut "this could be it", thanks for that. Post match stuff just seemed like a bunch of heels all acting like assholes to each other to me. Again, I'm a little confused by that. I've never seen Butcher/Blade, they have a cool look. Overall this was a good segment.

I kinda missed this interview segment with Dustin. Didn't catch enough of it to comment.

Rose/Ford vs Statlander/Shida
Penelope Ford and Kip Sabin look like inseufferable douchebags, I love this entrance. I love Penelope Ford's forearm smashes a lot less. I didn't like the timing of the commercial break in the middle of your monster heel actually doing moves and not just sitting in a rest hold. Ford takes a sweet bump off a missile dropkick. That Nyla Rose move with the kneedrop on the ropes is wild, I've never seen anyone do that before. The end stretch was weird. The faces do the old "grab the leg from out of the ring" trick, which is good because they are faces. Then the heels do the same thing which is bad because they are heels. Then your champ does a job. Okay. The work was mostly fine here for execution but I didn't like the way this match was laid out, at all. It looked more like a move showcase than a match with much story, and I'm iffy on the finish which was the only part of the match that really told any story. 

Britt Baker is Karen, The Wrestler right? Is everyone in this company a heel? This was a good short package at selling what her character is about.

I have no clue who anyone is in this Inner Circle vs Orange Cassidy and Best Friends match. At least the guy that came out in the Canadian tuxedo is selling something when he gets beat up on the ramp. The match is just filler to get to the angle. This felt like every indie midcard "do stuff" match ever. I don't care about this. People learned how to sell in the post-match, which was better than the actual match, but didn't fit when you put the two together at all. They could have accomplished exactly the same outcome with a run in on a promo, the match added nothing to this.

Anyone who shows fear of Billy Gunn is banished from wrestling. I don't make the rules, I merely enforce them.

I didn't take a lot of notes on this but thought it was fine. I was actually watching the match instead of typing and deleting shit about people doing bad indie wrestling like I did for the last match, so this was a definite improvement. I've never seen Guevara before but he seems eminently punchable, which is a good quality in a heel wrestler. Colt Cabana is, indeed, still Colt Cabana. 

After the match some white guys into Warhammer 40K came out and helped Colt Cabana. 

Matt Hardy is here to talk about RESPECT. I looked up Guevara and he's 26, but he looks younger. He plays young punk pretty well. Hardy warns him to get away from Jericho. Matt Hardy is changing gimmicks mid-segment? This is very fucking weird without context. I didn't hate this. Overall the match and promo together were a good segment. I want to see where this goes.

This Joey Janella segment committed one of my big peeves. The whole show is shot like "a wrestling show" but then this is shot like "a movie" for no obvious reason. Lucha Underground made this work by sticking to a consistent tone where every out of ring segment is a movie, you can't just do this shit because it looks cool. A lot of my problems with this show so far are production/agent stuff and not wrestler stuff.

Jon Moxley is speaking. Taz is speaking. Brian Cage is clubbering. A red car does more selling than any of the guys in that six-man. This was a good old fashioned wrestling show segment. 

Marq Queen vs Cody for A Presigious Wrestling Championship
The TNT belt looks like shit. I liked most of the actual match telling a story of the wild high flyer taking batshit crazy risks to try and wear out a bigger, more techincal guy. Honestly this kind of felt structured like what you'd want out of an earlier career Sabu match if Sabu wasn't the sloppiest fuck of all-time. Cody doesn't really control much of the match, instead picking shots here and there, letting Marq Queen highlight all the crazy shit he does. It worked pretty well. There was never any doubt Cody was going over but Marq got to showcase himself.

The post-match brawl actually looked chaotic enough to be a proper one. There wasn't a lot of clean, obvious setups once The Shit starts going down, which is what you want. A bunch of referees broke this up but were nowhere to be seen when Jericho needed to get his shit in earlier. This is me yelling about production/agent shit and consistency again.

Overall nothing on the show blew me away but I had a good time. It was 2 hours of pro wrestling I don't regret. For a show that was clearly "TV setting up a bigger, more important show later" I think it was alright.

• Like 6

I absolutely LOVED the fact they're moving forward with the Kiss/Janetta team (more then likely) with that mini-movie. Hopefully they'll be pulled toward Dynamite more from now on.

Jericho again killed it on commentary.

My love for The Butcher grows with every episode, he's still my top guy right now.

• Like 3

I'm glad to see the Dark Order in full force, and I'm interested to see where the angle with Colt Cabana goes. 

I really enjoyed FTR vs. Butcher & Blade. Give me more matches between them. 

I've had no issue at all with Dasha, but it's nice to have Justin Roberts back. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed that main event more than all Private Party matches where they rush and botch their contrived spots constantly. The leg work slowing him down plus being on his own really helped Quen’s performance.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2

Pretty good show top to bottom I thought. Butcher and Blade I think would be best served as someone's muscle until AEW can come up with something for them. Maybe stick them with Tully and Spears and have them be Spears' hired goons

Have B&B had any wins yet? Because if not, damn. Throw 'em a bone. That standoff smelled of '12-man tag', and even so betcha a million one of them two would be taking the fall. 

My attention was in and out on the main but I liked what seemed to be just a bunch of big spots, an injury, and an immediate tap. That's a layout that works for me. Marq Quen is a spot machine and all of them looked good. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

Maybe stick them with Tully and Spears and have them be Spears' hired goons

They kinda did that already for those two weeks they were hired by MJF. I'd rather them have to go the route of guys that just like to beat people up rather then be hired goons.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Have B&B had any wins yet? Because if not, damn. Throw 'em a bone. That standoff smelled of '12-man tag', and even so betcha a million one of them two would be taking the fall. 

My attention was in and out on the main but I liked what seemed to be just a bunch of big spots, an injury, and an immediate tap. That's a layout that works for me. Marq Quen is a spot machine and all of them looked good. 

They won some six man's with MJF when they first came in and they've been winning on Dark since returning. They really do deserve a big win.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 3

They could have beat the Revival tonight. Let them work their way up the pole. It would have made the Bucks look even more like dicks coming out and talking shit to them after the match.It could have even been a tainted win if they wanted to keep Revival looking strong. 

We all know Revival aren't going to lose to anyone except the Bucks though probably and maybe not even then.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1

Enjoyed the Blood Orange segment. 

Quen selling while getting his shit in even to his own detriment was really good stuff. Best he's looked yet, even if it wasn't near in quality to the Bucks upset, it showed me more from him than that tag match did. He CAN work a wrestling match with a story and selling. That corkscrew DDT thing was dope. Cody resorting to working a body part, including a pre-existing injury, is a good way of putting over the kids by selling his desperation AND PLANTING THE FUCKING SEEDS for a Cody heel turn. 

Very much the "just a show" it seemed to be on paper but it did well to give some lower card guys time and personality. These are important but I do wish they threw us something a bit more. Ultimately though, I'd rather them be cautious than kill off important matches.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 4

Solid show this week IMO.

I really dug the Brian Cage/Moxley brawl, and I think that's the best Cage has looked so far in looking like a monster in AEW. I enjoyed that Taz had to talk him down a little bit and he still smashed him through the windshield after Taz told him that was enough. Those I think were nice touches.

Cody/Marq Quen was an adequate TV main event for AEW's version of the IC/TV title. Still, when are they going to finish that damn TNT belt, or is that just the TNT belt moving forward? I thought the post-match brawl was a bit weak and just lacked energy. 

I think they are taking the right approach to FTR/Young Bucks on TV at least. They know that's the big matchup, but they are doing a slow build to it. And Matt was cutting a good promo before they got interrupted. Hopefully, no mentions of leg slapping on TV.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

Agreed on Cage. He looked like a badass killer. Good for him. He nails down that intensity aspect and maybe works a bit smarter instead of harder and he could be a star. I dig Taz as a mouthpiece after being initially a little indifferent. 

• Like 2

Forgot about a couple things

- Tony Hawk?

- Tully sitting there looking furious while Spears sat ten rows behind him staring at him

- Yeah that had to be the end of the bat that did the ear. Nobody blades their ear. And no those were not blood oranges Tony

- Colt looking like he smelled a fart after Brodie helped him up 

- Because of the screen-in-screen I missed Cody working on the leg for a loooooong time. That was a good match. 

- Matt just planting Sammy with the Twist of Fate apparently right on the belt. That kid can bump like RVD on stuff like that

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 1