DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Everyone Hates Charlotte - 6/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

21 hours ago, RIShane said:

I would suggest that people underestimate how much Becky presented her character in a way which targeted/exploited smark narratives about Charlotte, especially on social media. Even as a ‘heel’ she was strongly pushing the idea that she was ‘held back’ because she wasn’t blonde and a Flair, and that Charlotte was ‘handed everything’. While technically a heel, she dropped any attacks on fans after one promo, encouraged fans to boo Charlotte on social media (hence #boothewoo) and it led to the style of character she’s used since which blends face/heel elements while frequently weaponising smark narratives/language. Even if you take away how hard Charlotte put her over,  I don’t think things would have worked as well if Becky had been against anyone else. The Nia punch was very important too, but a lot had already happened up to that point.

Plus the ‘wrong alignment’ and smark paranoia about Charlotte’s booking made it seem cooler to cheer Becky on, and easier to give Becky a super push while avoiding the usual fan fears that Becky was a ‘chosen one’.

This is a really good post so I’m quoting so more people read it.  Lots of stuff I never really considered.  

Also, to the repeated point about Charlotte taking Rhea’s title, wasn’t that just because Rhea’s visa expired and they were worried she would have to return to Australia to wait for it to be renewed?  Like maybe the endgame was always Charlotte taking the title, but it’s impossible to know that they didn’t have to call a last minute audible and give her the title due to extenuating circumstances.

15 hours ago, caley said:

This is a really good post so I’m quoting so more people read it.  Lots of stuff I never really considered.  

Also, to the repeated point about Charlotte taking Rhea’s title, wasn’t that just because Rhea’s visa expired and they were worried she would have to return to Australia to wait for it to be renewed?  Like maybe the endgame was always Charlotte taking the title, but it’s impossible to know that they didn’t have to call a last minute audible and give her the title due to extenuating circumstances.

Rhea has debunked this in interviews, although the verbiage is weird. Is her visa being up really that negative?

“I sort of just laugh it off. Social media can be very negative at times. If this had been going round when I wasn’t as mentally strong as I am now, I would’ve taken it a completely different way and things wouldn’t have been as good… It’s quite funny seeing people saying that I lost because I had to go back to Australia.”

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

The "Rhea's Visa is up" also makes little sense since we're sitting on an "Interim" CW Champ and they allowed a Tag Partner sub for the Tag belts.

But on the other side, they switched the IC title off of Zayn pretty quick

Just watched Charlotte/Asuka, loved it. My favorite pairing of opponents in the company and probably my favorite WWE match this year. Their match in March 2019 was also my fav WWE match of last year. Amazing chemistry.