DVDVR Message Board

Raw is Everyone Hates Charlotte - 6/8/2020

Dolfan in NYC

A secondary frustration with Charlotte is that based on her MMC and non-title picture CharLynch periods, she's capable of being charismatic and fun, and these extended periods of wooden dominance and offhand dismissal of competitors don't help anyone, including herself.

3 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The issue with Charlotte isn't a lack of talent it's that everyone she feuds with is worse off after feuding with her.  Rhea Ripley, we aren't even talking about her anymore. She had a ton of momentum but that's over for now.  Charlotte didn't help the NXT women's division at all.  They didn't need her. Now on RAW Asuka is champion again and the only person they can find for her to fight is Charlotte, again.  

I will counter by saying Becky Lynch became the biggest star in professional wrestling after her feud with Charlotte.

Obviously Charlotte has been protected for a long time, but...

I do think Vince, HHH, and Steph believed Ronda Rousey was going to be around for more than one year, that they'd be able to broker a deal that would've seen her compete at WrestleMania this year. When this didn't happen, they opted not to run Charlotte/Becky again (maybe it was just obvious or too "been there done that") so it kinda makes sense that they reasoned, "Well, let's take our two biggest women's stars - Becky and Charlotte - and put them against the two biggest 'future stars' (aka the two top females from NXT)." Personally, I think there were better options on the actual main roster, but that's a different topic. The point is: Rousey left and Charlotte's stock goes up.

More recently, Becky Lynch is also gone now. So, if you're looking at your depth chart, at a time when I believe the WWE projected they'd have Becky and potentially even Rousey (maybe to build the much-rumoured Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen match for SummerSlam), they now have neither. That means Charlotte is being depended on even more.

Less recently, Sasha Banks taking a 4-month hiatus probably means she'll never get another top run and I'm not sure Vince has ever "got" Bayley. Again, Charlotte's stock rose when Banks left.

I don't think Vince sees foreign talent, even Asuka, as ever being the "face of the company." Its only recently I feel like he's been willing to push European/British wrestlers. 

To me, though, the issue isn't so much the overexposure or over-pushing of Charlotte, its that, despite infinite hours of TV time and a bevy of talent, they've let other talent die on the vine. Some talents got a small push then were dropped soon after (Ember Moon, Ruby Riott), others haven't ever been treated as legit "serious" contenders despite showing improvement over the years (Liv Morgan, Carmella), and some have been delegated into tag work but because WWE Creative stinks, they're inexplicably kept away from the singles title picture despite there being interesting angles they could explore there (Bliss and Cross, Kairi Sane). 

TLDR: Blame Creative for not pushing other talent, not Charlotte for being a star.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DMJ said:

Obviously Charlotte has been protected for a long time, but...

I do think Vince, HHH, and Steph believed Ronda Rousey was going to be around for more than one year, that they'd be able to broker a deal that would've seen her compete at WrestleMania this year. When this didn't happen, they opted not to run Charlotte/Becky again (maybe it was just obvious or too "been there done that") so it kinda makes sense that they reasoned, "Well, let's take our two biggest women's stars - Becky and Charlotte - and put them against the two biggest 'future stars' (aka the two top females from NXT)." Personally, I think there were better options on the actual main roster, but that's a different topic. The point is: Rousey left and Charlotte's stock goes up.

More recently, Becky Lynch is also gone now. So, if you're looking at your depth chart, at a time when I believe the WWE projected they'd have Becky and potentially even Rousey (maybe to build the much-rumoured Horsewomen vs. Horsewomen match for SummerSlam), they now have neither. That means Charlotte is being depended on even more.

Less recently, Sasha Banks taking a 4-month hiatus probably means she'll never get another top run and I'm not sure Vince has ever "got" Bayley. Again, Charlotte's stock rose when Banks left.

I don't think Vince sees foreign talent, even Asuka, as ever being the "face of the company." Its only recently I feel like he's been willing to push European/British wrestlers. 

To me, though, the issue isn't so much the overexposure or over-pushing of Charlotte, its that, despite infinite hours of TV time and a bevy of talent, they've let other talent die on the vine. Some talents got a small push then were dropped soon after (Ember Moon, Ruby Riott), others haven't ever been treated as legit "serious" contenders despite showing improvement over the years (Liv Morgan, Carmella), and some have been delegated into tag work but because WWE Creative stinks, they're inexplicably kept away from the singles title picture despite there being interesting angles they could explore there (Bliss and Cross, Kairi Sane). 

TLDR: Blame Creative for not pushing other talent, not Charlotte for being a star.

Honestly, for someone Vince ‘doesn’t get’, Bayley has been massively pushed since February 2019. In the last thirteen months she’s been SD Champion save for a five-day gap, and it’s telling that they had her cash in on Charlotte as a face and then had her beat Charlotte on SD to cement her heel turn back in October.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

@Greggulator My counter to what you said here is Becky got massively over to this degree because creative cast her and Charlotte in the wrong roles, fans didn't want to boo Becky and then Nix Jax's punch happened.  I don't believe the feud with Charlotte is what helped. 

@DMJ Charlotte is a star and is someone they can depend on but there are three shows and she is appearing on all of them.  There's no real need. If she is to be on one brand and constantly in the title feud for that brand then so be it but in the past two months she has feuded with two champions along with her title feuds in NXT. Rhea,  Io and company are more than capable of carrying NXT.  Sasha and Bayley are more than capable of carrying SDL.  Asuka and Becky or Asuka herself is more than capable of carrying RAW.  Charlotte can be a top star on a brand sure, there is no need for all three. 

I'm probably totally off, but part of me thinks Charlotte being on every shows could be because she might be pulling a Becky soon.  It's just pretty odd that they're overexposing her this much, especially while there's no crowds.

If vince loses another one of his showcase women stars to motherhood, I bet he tries to put something all their contracts about pregnancies, like not be able to get tattoos. ?

Edited by odessasteps

16 minutes ago, odessasteps said:

If vince loses one of his showcase women stars to motherhood, I bet he tries to put something all their contracts about pregnancies, like not be able to get tattoos. ?

I don't understand what you mean here,  Becky is already out on maternity leave 

2 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

@Greggulator My counter to what you said here is Becky got massively over to this degree because creative cast her and Charlotte in the wrong roles, fans didn't want to boo Becky and then Nix Jax's punch happened.  I don't believe the feud with Charlotte is what helped. 

@DMJ Charlotte is a star and is someone they can depend on but there are three shows and she is appearing on all of them.  There's no real need. If she is to be on one brand and constantly in the title feud for that brand then so be it but in the past two months she has feuded with two champions along with her title feuds in NXT. Rhea,  Io and company are more than capable of carrying NXT.  Sasha and Bayley are more than capable of carrying SDL.  Asuka and Becky or Asuka herself is more than capable of carrying RAW.  Charlotte can be a top star on a brand sure, there is no need for all three. 

I would suggest that people underestimate how much Becky presented her character in a way which targeted/exploited smark narratives about Charlotte, especially on social media. Even as a ‘heel’ she was strongly pushing the idea that she was ‘held back’ because she wasn’t blonde and a Flair, and that Charlotte was ‘handed everything’. While technically a heel, she dropped any attacks on fans after one promo, encouraged fans to boo Charlotte on social media (hence #boothewoo) and it led to the style of character she’s used since which blends face/heel elements while frequently weaponising smark narratives/language. Even if you take away how hard Charlotte put her over,  I don’t think things would have worked as well if Becky had been against anyone else. The Nia punch was very important too, but a lot had already happened up to that point.

Plus the ‘wrong alignment’ and smark paranoia about Charlotte’s booking made it seem cooler to cheer Becky on, and easier to give Becky a super push while avoiding the usual fan fears that Becky was a ‘chosen one’.

• Like 5

I feel like they don't fully trust Alexa again yet, either. They'd be pretty justified in being afraid that as soon as they put a top title on her, she'd get another concussion. At some point I feel like she's got to get another run, but she's one of several females with a spotty injury history that probably gives them trepidation.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Honestly, if they want to make Charlotte a focus and also have her appearing on all 3 brands then "Charlotte Flair: Women's Tag Team Champion" is too perfect a fit right?

She can work all 3 brands legitimately.
She can work singles matches against whoever.
She can help train newer wrestlers while hiding their issues.
She can be a huge babyface hot tag or a great monster heel working someone over.

Just need to find her the right partner.

I'd love it to be Lacey Evans. I think the 2 of them moonsaulting people could be awesome. Maybe follow up the NXT bit with Chelsea Green? The mix and match of Charlotte and Candice LaRae could make for some cool visuals as well.

Whichever way they go, Charlotte in the hunt for the tag belts would be a perfect solution to all of this.

• Like 1

Becky got over as much as she did because she's rebellious. She bucked the system and said whatever she wanted and backed it up. But you can only be a good rebel if there's something to rebel against -- Austin/McMahon, for example. Becky first rebelled against the chosen one in Charlotte, and then again in the WrestleMania match against Rousey and even more entitled Charlotte. 

One of the reasons why Becky had diminishing returns after she got crowned -- the "self-parody" criticism -- is because she's still rebellious but there's no one to rebel against. She had really good rivals with Asuka and Shayna. But Becky isn't as convincing as a "baddest dog in the yard" type as much as someone who has to fight the odds. 

Charlotte was a perfect foil for Becky. 

• Like 2

The last year and a half of Becky Lynch's rise to the top was never supposed to happen. It was a total accident that people cheered when she slapped Charlotte after the match at Summerslam. Also the WWE vastly underestimated Charlotte natural ability of being a heel and it was so forced when they tried to have her as a face. Becky got over like gangbusters and threw a wrench into every plan they had which almost certainly included Ronda vs. Charlotte in the main event of Wrestlemania. 

Would it even be legal for the WWE to try and put a birth control clause into a contract? "Female performer must have an IUD or be on some form of long term birth control". I assume Becky is going to get 9 months along with how ever long she's out for maternity tacked onto her contract like they do to people with injuries. 

Charlotte has come into such a stride right now doing probably her best work in a while. I wish they would just have someone show her how to do a moonsault. She always overshoots or lands on her feet. 

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

You could always ask them to practice abstinence (ha) or engage in relations that would not involve pregnancy (wink wink) or just push the lesbian portion of the roster. ?

Isn't that like maybe 4 women? 

19 hours ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

The issue with Charlotte isn't a lack of talent it's that everyone she feuds with is worse off after feuding with her.  Rhea Ripley, we aren't even talking about her anymore. She had a ton of momentum but that's over for now.  Charlotte didn't help the NXT women's division at all.  They didn't need her. Now on RAW Asuka is champion again and the only person they can find for her to fight is Charlotte, again.  

I feel like Rhea would have gotten over if they were still able to run shows with crowds.

Becky also exploded because of the uninspiring and annoying sequence of events after Charlotte ended Asuka's streak. Charlotte ends the streak, immediately loses the belt to an undeserving lame pet project, goes on vacation for most of the summer, then immediately returns to her previous spot once she gets back from her summer vacation.  Totally status quo vanilla nonsense sandwiched around Vince pushing whoever the fuck he wants to at the expense of actual deserving talents. 

Big match Charlotte is boring as an act that only serves to suck the momentum out of hot acts like some kind of vampire. It would have been a more interesting story for her to lose the first match against Rhea, then have to figure out how to defeat her; not the other way around. Besides like Asuka before her, Rhea seemingly isn't going to even up the score with Charlotte in the foreseeable future. To be fair, Rhea hasn't spiraled into looking like a lame ass loser/choker in quite the same way Asuka did while Charlotte was on vacation after WrestleMania XXXIV.   It helps that Io is a worthy champion who was long overdue for a title win herself.  That being said, it's still hard to see how she'll ever regain the same momentum she had after being the one to finally end Shayna's long reign as NXT Champion. 

Edited by FluffSnackwell