DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite 6/3/20 - First TNT Title Defense

1 hour ago, TheVileOne said:

Didn't the Young Bucks have to bury him alive to summon Damascus? 

Yeah, but last week he clearly chose which personality to be when he teamed with the Bucks.

• Like 1

I really hate that Taz soundbite at the start of Cage's entrance. Its delivered with so little enthusiasm. It sounds like a soundbite from an early WWE 2k game.

Also, Brian Cage cannot emote at all, irrespective of the situation. Just this default Lego Man neutral mouth the whole time and lost eyes, or he'll suddenly break into this awkward half happy-half smile open mouth thing at a really inopportune time that looks like when a dog hears a car pulling up in the drive way, which I guess is kinda what happened when Mox came out..

Edited by RolandTHTG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I thought that was probably the best taped episodes they’ve done. Even though it was pretty obvious what was redone to get the right shots. Also the obvious extra dubbing by Tony. But still nothing felt too Frankenstein’d together

I feel like Taz improved a lot between episodes. He’s easily the better legend managers. Which shouldn’t be a surprise. He’s always been the class clown on the first day at school keeping everything in check before he really lets the teacher have it by the end of the week.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 1

Good show!

Orange Cassidy being built as Jericho's next opponent was pretty great and I'm looking forward to the 6-man next week.  Not so much Hager but P&P vs Best Friends will be wonderful.

As everyone else has said, the Britt Baker vignette was amazing.

I really liked the real-sportsy feel of Swoll and Cabana's interviews.

The tag title match was really good.  Sabian and Havoc really stepped up.  I like Havoc being a scumbag heel more than a middle aged edgelord.

I enjoyed Cody/Jungle Boy but the booking sure was screwy.  Why did it need blood?  It came across like the story was Jungle Boy couldn't hang without Cody making a mistake (headbutting a wall) and busting himself open.  Not sure how this is supposed to be heelish Cody when he's fighting through adversity to win.  That booking makes Jungle Boy the heel.  I really don't want to harp on Cody's apparent booking power every week but if this whole open challenge is him beating young talent while ostensibly giving them the rub by letting them have close matches before beating them, I'm not so sure I'm on board with it. 

If we want to go all the way with Cody conspiracy theories, why were the tag champs and world champ both booked in hour 1?  ?

Fun interview and pull apart with FTR and B&B.  Still not digging B&B's ice cream men look.

Excellent job in the Jericho/Cabana match telling the story that Jericho suckered Cabana in to the Walls of Jericho.  Overall really good match and a great example of a top guy making a not-top-guy look strong.

I liked Archer being nutty and Jake being hesitant.  You know what would be a cool storyline?  If Murderhawk is out of control and Jake is getting more uncomfortable every week until he admits that he made a mistake in creating the Murderhawk and can't control him.  Regretful Jake the Snake trying to find someone to stop his Frankenstein's Monster would be sweet.

I agree with criticism's of Brian Cage's spray tan and lack of emoting.  I like the guy in the ring but he needs work.

How long has Omega & Page's finish been called "The Last Call?"

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

How long has Omega & Page's finish been called "The Last Call?"

This is the first time on air I believe. Otherwise fans have been coming up with their own for the move, and before on commentary they would just call it “The V-Trigger Buckshot Combination”.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

Tony Schiavone is a two-faced charlatan. He's in Dr. Baker's video cheering her on, and then he's on commentary stabbing her in the back and throwing her under the bus.

So what's going on with QT Marshall and the Bunny? Did Bunny ditch the Butcher and the Blade?

Wasn't blown away by Taz as the mouthpiece for Brian Cage, especially using his old catchphrases for Cage. Seemed sort of generic.

If it's OK to say it, I thought Big Swole was smoking tonight in her Power Ranger gear, and she had a good match with Nyla. I assume they are keeping Nyla strong for a rematch with Shida. I enjoyed all the stuff with Britt Baker. She's really embraced the heel stuff. Even getting injured has allowed her to heel it up even better.

It's interesting that Tony's in the video yet nobody said "C'mon, now.  We saw you in it!"  when throwing her under the bus.  Unless I somehow missed that part.  I guess what they're trying to get across is that deep down he feels there's good in her but has issues with how she handles things.  It's something worth keeping tabs on and nice to not have them beating us over the head with it.

Regarding QT and Allie she did commentary on this week's Dark and when approached about B&B she sidestepped that to talk about QT.  So there's no declaration that she's done with them and for all we know it could just be playing the long game towards the eventual betrayal of QT.  As for Taz I thought there was a bit more attitude to his promo which was lacking last week.  So that definitely helped establish the pissed off former wrestler who wants to unleash his monster and take out fools.  I like it.  And regarding Big Swole no complaints form me.  I liked the Yellow Ranger deal she had going on and she had a good showing against Nyla.

As for the rest of the show the main points were covered but man did I miss the intro graphic for Page.  And Page in general for that matter.  It's been really neat to see his evolution from JAG in The Elite to wanting to be far away from it to eventually finding his unofficial way back in.  And I really love how he's been increasingly trusting of Kenny and to a tiny degree the Bucks after all that happened.  It makes stuff like this worth following along.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 2

I think it’s quite touching how it’s been presented that he genuinely seems to care for Kenny a lot more than the other guys. After the Stadium Stampede you could see how he only seemed focused and worried about helping Omega to his feet instead of celebrating like the other guys.

Hangman has never come across like the most extroverted guy so his subtle acting and delivery has really worked for this whole storyline.

• Like 3

Good show.  I agree on this being maybe their strongest taped show.  Nice addition of recaps.    

Page/Omega-Sabian/Havoc was solid.  Dynamite is so much better with the Hangman.  

I was glad to see the online Tully promo find it's way to the show, but would have been a little more effective had they kept the part of him addressing the Dustin match with the embarrassing Tully underpants.  I love the glove and presentation, but super goofy to hear a (classic) Schiavone line suggesting a new identity is something to fear for the entire roster.  Huh?  Something tells me a new gimmick isn't what Spears needs.  How about just letting nature take it's course and have him settle into the role he was born to play: low to mid card heel jtts.  

10 hours ago, Web Conn said:

As long as Rebel doesn’t wrestle I’m all for her being Brittany flunky.

Baker promo was fun.  The Tony support was the highlight.  I think they're missing an opportunity by not having Britt's second be a wrestler she can advise while off on injury.  Somebody they can build up for a babyface turn as Britt buries her each week.  Like everybody I applaud Britt's character work, but it'll be a bit of a waste if she isn't able to improve (and 10 fold) her in ring.  And that doesn't seem like it's happening.  Tho, I'd love to be proven wrong.  

5 hours ago, RolandTHTG said:

I really hate that Taz soundbite at the start of Cage's entrance. Its delivered with so little enthusiasm. It sounds like a soundbite from an early WWE 2k game.

Also, Brian Cage cannot emote at all, irrespective of the situation. Just this default Lego Man neutral mouth the whole time and lost eyes, or he'll suddenly break into this awkward half happy-half smile open mouth thing at a really inopportune time that looks like when a dog hears a car pulling up in the drive way, which I guess is kinda what happened when Mox came out..

Ha, yes! to your call on the 'Path of Cage' soundbite there.  

I liked Taz's promo this week.  Absolutely agree on Cage looking completely lost while the men talk.  This kind of weak attribute is sometimes hidden well by masks and/or facepaint, but I think we may be a little late to that.  How bout pulling the ragged towel over the head from Taz's ECW playbook.  Put those unsure facials in the shadows.  Clearly his in ring looks impressive, but without knowing how to present himself he's gonna be hard to move too high up the card.  Ha, just remembering his goofy debut at DoN ripping apart a gimmicked ladder.  Go get em tiger!  I kinda hope the Darby blow off is kept till after the title fight, and he can just go over clean.  Also, Moxley's promo went from goofy to really good there at the end.  The heels should have responded with some outrage - Taz should have been restraining Cage.  As was Mox made him or them kinda look the geek there.

The Lance Archer promo came off a bit wacky, and was a strange bit of logic as to why a luchadore was present out there.  The threat to Marvez was non-exisitent and made Jake's apology seem silly.  I like the earlier post suggesting a frankenstein angle of Jake losing control and trying to stop his path of cage... er rage.  

The Hardy Party promo was fine.  Not sure why in the world Marc Quen has earned a TV title shot.  Not that I'm against random challengers, but has Quen had one singles match in this entire run?  Also, really really hated seeing the goddamned roaming camera for Sammy and Hardy.  Would have been fine if Sammy had turned to the camera to shit talk.  Please no more roaming cameras!!!  That bit reminded me of the WWE programming I long left behind.  Not a huge deal, just really don't want to see that direction.    

I skimmed Nyla-Swole.  Seemed fine.  The post match interview was a nice touch.  Like to see more of that.  Jericho-Cabana was also solid.  Jericho promo was good.  I'm with the earlier poster wishing the OC confrontation had a crowd.  Jericho-OC is something to look forward to.  Nice to see Brodie Lee again.  Excited to see who he targets next.  Tho, maybe he and Cabana can do a nice piece of business? 

FTR sitdown was good.  I'm pretty new to this team, but nice to see that along with their fantastic in ring skills they can hold their own on the mic.  They looked like champions in the close of that melee (FTR out).  I'm getting a bit ahead here, but I'm wondering just how truly money these guys are capable of being for AEW.  They're definitely guys that I'd like to see main eventing a PPV.  And that's what Bucks of Youth-FTR 1 oughtta be. 

Jungle Boy-Cody was also solid.  Dug it.  Here's my Cody consipracy - he's really good and one of the company's best all around talents (top 3 even) and will have good matches with younger talent elevating himself and said talent in the process. I know, it's crazy to think he's not sabotaging the company, right?  Just a theory.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Should the TNT title have a top 5? That would provide structure to who the challenger of the week is, as you can see the "backlog" of contenders. "Oh man, Cody has Archer in 3 weeks; he's gonna be toast"

Sort of like in Mortal Kombat single player when they scroll through the opponents as you work your way up the ladder. 

Edited by For Great Justice
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, For Great Justice said:

Should the TNT title have a top 5? That would provide structure to who the challenger of the week is, as you can see the "backlog" of contenders. "Oh man, Cody has Archer in 3 weeks; he's gonna be toast"

Sort of like in Mortal Kombat single player when they scroll through the opponents as they work your way up the ladder. 

They said multiple times now that the two champions would be side by side and there would be only one top 5 ranking after that. Having multiple ladders would needlessly complicate things from a "why is this person in the TNT Championship ladder and not the AEW World title ladder" perspective. You're basically creating weight classes at that point, but even more arbitrary. So the way it's setup now, if you're the #1 contender you can make your shot or call for the title you want, or do what MJF is doing and letting Mox and Cody burn themselves out on defending the title before you then call your shot. Someone else that's ranked #2 or #3 or whatever can then look for a title shot against the other champion.

I do think it tends to work out better that way, especially with multiple storylines going on.

• Like 1

And I really enjoyed Dynamite again. It's been a long time since I watched an episode I didn't like. Even the shows from the Nightmare Factory were better than they had any right to be given the circumstances.

This episode in particular dealt with a lot of little things and housekeeping type shit that I really appreciate. Makes it feel like there's probably a room somewhere with a wall full of pinned up notecards and red string dictating how the storylines are going. So this week we got an update from Archer, learned what Brodie Lee is doing next, transitioned Colt from one short storyline into a broader one, setup what feels like a million directions to go in with FTR (Cash, grow the beard back out), got back to OC and Jericho, and more.

And I forget who said it, but OC coming out to confront Jericho is another one of those things I wish they had a live crowd for. It would have blown the roof off of the place.

• Like 3

The recaps were the one thing I fast forwarded through. I watched last week so it's obviously not for me. Looked decently put together from what I could tell. This stuff is there for anyone that may have missed last week. It did seem like the recap lasted a long time though. 

• Like 1

As my DVR feed was ruined I hooked up TNT on Fire Stick and I'm really not sure it was worth the effort. This reminds me of trying to watch Smackdown on Hulu at my buddy's place five years ago with the amount of commercials that plague every second of trying to fast forward this thing to the stuff I missed. Not only that but now we got all these recaps which makes it even longer in the tooth. If you watched this whole thing straight through it might take 2 1/2 hours.

Guess Rose/Swole was okay, I was eating and trying to ignore commercials though. Shida looks pouty whenever she's watching something during these tapings. Swole doing the NFL returning player interview and being interrupted by Baker in what appears to be a converted golf cart is hilarious. 

Cody/Jack was good though they have a better match in them. I didn't like them not milking the table spot for even a countout at all, nor Cody getting up first, nor Cody having blatantly moved the table into place. If Cody wants to blade in every match though I don't give a shit. He got blood on the camera lens FFS. It'd be better if he didn't take the belt off every match as a strap-drop spot. Jack is really polished for such a young guy and he's got a bright future. MJF inserting himself and nearly saying flat-out "come at me bro" worked just fine.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Did I misread it or is Fyter Fest 10pm Eastern on 7/1 & 8?  So it's airing after Dynamite both nights?

Fyter Fest is airing @ 8pm, so I guess you can say it is Dynamite on those nights.

26 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Did I misread it or is Fyter Fest 10pm Eastern on 7/1 & 8?  So it's airing after Dynamite both nights?

I think you misread it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

AEW Dynamite - 730k viewers (down 11%) 0.29 rating, 27th place in demo

WWE NXT - 715k viewers (down 2%) 0.20 rating, 45th place in demo

Honestly, when you consider all the factors of last week they got a boost from Double or Nothing + Mike Tyson, and they're still dealing with the pandemic, current events in the news, and going up against NXT, these numbers don't seem so bad. Plus they didn't fall below 700K again this week.