DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite 6/3/20 - First TNT Title Defense

Enjoyed the show tonight, some random thoughts:

Visually, the Dynamite intro is one of my favourite wrestling show openings of all time. Those colour explosions are extremely satisfying. 

I’ve really really really missed Hangman booting and lariating people‘s heads off.

I don’t recognise Scott Dawson without his beard whenever he’s on screen, he looks like the main kid from the Little Rascals now.

little-rascals-travis-tedford.jpg?resize

For as well produced as AEW is, that toy commercial is incredibly shitty and cheap.

Am I the only one that only gets about 60% of what Private Party says? It’s one of the reasons I couldn’t fully enjoy their BTE skits, I had no idea wtf they were saying most of the time.

“Le Champion’s first singles match since the annihilation of Pineapple Pete”

I appreciate Sammy going to one side of the stage unlike guys like Jake Roberts or Tazz who stand right in the middle of the screen for the entire match being very distracting.

My body is so ready for Jericho vs OC, possibly at Fyter Fest? You know Jericho will make the most of it and it will be glorious.

That training montage with Britt had me laughing out loud for real , great stuff without saying a single word. When she was pulling a tiny 1-2lbs plate was the highlight for me.

I see Wardlow went with the dancing Van Damme outfit tonight.

Cody heeling it up a bit tonight It’s the right call. I don’t love Jungle Boy but he has something that makes it impossible to root against him. Good little match from both tonight and it made the TNT title feel like a big deal.

Edited by eikerir
  • Like 2

A storm here knocked out about half of the show, and I think only that 30 minute replay is happening (did I miss one in the guide going forward?) but I enjoyed what I saw. 

Page being a hoss gave me a reason to watch the go-go match. Jimmy Havoc has been wrestling for 15 YEARS?! 

Tazz, stay off the fucking ramp. 

Jericho/Cabana was very entertaining. I knew if they kept it a brawl it'd be fine, and it was. Bonus points for the Orange appearance. 

And then the feed comes back on in time for me to see Cody blade, and turns off again. Dammit. This is the first TNT bladejob, right? 

• Like 1

Mox would sound intense ordering Chinese food. When he's even remotely interested in what he's doing, it's magical.

I was crying during the Britt Baker montage. To me, this is what separates AEW from WWE right now. One of the things, anyway. People with actual senses of humor working there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Loved a lot of this. Great main event. Jericho/OC will be epic.

One part of me understands the "Sammy, Darby and Jungle Boy lose too much if they are supposed to be the future stars" argument. But the other part of me thinks of them as in like the Rookie Year Payton Manning 'season' of their careers, where all the tools flash but the record is shit. Then they put it all together the next season.

• Like 4

Great to have Hangman back in the ring, pretty enjoyable tag. Taz/Moxley promo was good stuff. Britt continues to be excellent. Liked Jericho/Cabana. Glad they acknowledged FTR being thought of as Fuck the Revival, that was amusing and bleeping out Revival too.  Pretty awesome main event with the blood adding a lot to it, love the post-match pyro and the match being put over as a big deal.

• Like 2

Dirtbag heel Jimmy Havoc is so much better than the other Jimmy Havocs. That was a very good match. Page doing the proper arm circles before a toss kinda puts Knox's version to shame.

Jericho/Cabana was also really good, with the predictable yet awesome Walls of Jericho set-up but also the story of Colt getting too cute at the most important time and getting caught by Jericho. The commentary peaked at just the perfect time too with JR saying this is the best Colt's ever looked or whatever and then *BOOM*. 

Good promo work from Taz. Ambrose had some goofiness but improved when he got super serial at the end there.

Yeah, you already know this but Britt's montage was tremendous and it's so great that she's found something that clicks so well after struggling so badly. She still needs help in the ring but what a great fuckin' character.

I love that FTR/B&B confrontation. That was straight up Crockett stuff! Colt angle afterwards was also to the point and effective. All the angles were successes.

Main event continued the trend of goodness with a smartly worked match without a lot of waste in it. Both guys showed desperation which really puts the title over.

They're also doing a lot more recaps which people have been asking for. The show in general feels more polished than it ever has. Still some kinks (was it just me or was the stationary cam for the Tony/FTR interview out of focus?) but noted improvements.

• Like 6

Yeah I loved the show as a whole but my only complaint is that Cody's TNT Title Open Challenge isn't going to be in the same vein as Cena's US Title Open Challenge, in that the opponent is a mystery until it happens. Might be counter-productive to their ethos of announcing next week's card during the show these days, though. Or maybe it's because there are no fans in attendance (for the most part) and stuff like that is better saved for when there are fans in the building. Marq Quen vs Cody will be flippy as shit, and I'm alright with that, but I'm wondering why he gets a title shot next. Maybe he beat everyone to the sign-up sheet or something.

I fully expect Matt Cardona to either be announced as Cody's challenger at Fyter Fest, or the week before, his opponent will be announced as a mystery. Very odd that Impact teased all of the recent WWE releases, but he's basically the only one they didn't feature as far as I'm aware. I'm like 90% sure he's AEW bound, and probably the only one out of that bunch.

Speaking of Fyter Fest, they're going the Bash at the Beach route with the 2020 version I guess. I'm guessing BR Live will get no free shows this year. Now I'm left wondering where they're going to go with this Mike Tyson stuff, if it goes anywhere at all.

FTR vs Butcher & Blade is going to be bowling shoe ugly, but in the best possible way.

I'm sure detractors of AEW loved that Meltzer name drop during the interview. I don't post on Twitter, and r/SquaredCircle is shut down until tomorrow morning, so I can only imagine all of the dorks out there complaining about him "being on the payroll" or some other stupid shit.

Then there's the other side of the dumbass hill, where I just know there are fans out there that are mad about a big ol' BLACK LIVES MATTER before the show's intro.

Also Matt Hardy was tweet, telling Marq to start training now and for Isiah to get footage of Cody ready for him to watch. I'm here for the Hardy Party and Matt being their mentor.

Edited by Casey
  • Thanks 1

Tony Schiavone is a two-faced charlatan. He's in Dr. Baker's video cheering her on, and then he's on commentary stabbing her in the back and throwing her under the bus.

All the wrestling was solid tonight. Good opener and good closer. I like Cody, but I feel like he tries to over-perform in matches like this and tries to show he can bump like a madman and blade with the best of them. 

So what's going on with QT Marshall and the Bunny? Did Bunny ditch the Butcher and the Blade?

Matt Hardy seems to be normal Matt now. Did Stadium Stampede cause him to revert back to normal basic vanilla Matt Hardy? So no more Damascus?

Wasn't blown away by Taz as the mouthpiece for Brian Cage, especially using his old catchphrases for Cage. Seemed sort of generic.

FTR interview was good. I'm glad they are holding off on the Young Bucks matchup for now. That's not a match you want to blow off right off the bat. I did like that FTR pointed out that the tag team champions aren't even a real tag team.

If it's OK to say it, I thought Big Swole was smoking tonight in her Power Ranger gear, and she had a good match with Nyla. I assume they are keeping Nyla strong for a rematch with Shida. I enjoyed all the stuff with Britt Baker. She's really embraced the heel stuff. Even getting injured has allowed her to heel it up even better.

26 minutes ago, Casey said:

They've established that Hardy can choose which persona inhabits his vessel, so I doubt this is the last we've seen of any of the others.

Didn't the Young Bucks have to bury him alive to summon Damascus? 

4 hours ago, eikerir said:

Am I the only one that only gets about 60% of what Private Party says? It’s one of the reasons I couldn’t fully enjoy their BTE skits, I had no idea wtf they were saying most of the time.

I don't particularly care for their delivery on a lot of their spoken work. I don't feel like I don't understand them, but a lot of their shit falls flat for me. I don't know why Hangman has to be Pussypants, or why that is any kind of funny, but whatever. 

I am also like 20 or so years older than they are, so maybe I'm just shaking my old man fist at two young-ass kids.

4 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

This is the first TNT bladejob, right? 

Dustin got a good one in his tournament match vs. Archer as well.