DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Just watched the Deathstroke v. Hawkman clip from Smallville. Had only seen some of the earlier seasons episodes, but goddamn, after watching this piece of shit, I can't believe the show lasted 10 seasons. And WTF is Lois Lane doing in here? Shouldn't that have been Lana? Or did the writers just try to incorporate EVERY single Superman mythos into his teen years?

And then some.

JSA, various JLA members, Lois, Jimmy, Perry White, Doomsday, Zod, Bizarro...

But it did give us Erica Durance dressed as Wonder Woman once, so it's not all bad.  It just really should have been ended around the end of season 5, and then relaunched as Metropolis.  And then dropped the no tights rule.

Here's the Batman films by RT rating.  I also put the audience ratings in [brackets].

1. The Dark Knight (2008)  94 [94]
2. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)  88 [90]    
3. Batman Begins (2005)  85 [94]
4. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)   81 [88]    
5. Batman Returns (1992)  80 [72]
6. Batman (1966) 79 [62]
7. Batman (1989)  71 [84]
8. Batman Forever (1995)  41 [34]
9. Batman & Robin (1997)  12 [17]

So audiences would switch 2 & 3 and shoot #7 up to #5.  1966 and 1989 are the two with the biggest discrepancies between critics and audiences. 

Superman [1978] Critics = 93%  Audience = 86%

Superman II [1981] Critics = 89%  Audience =  75%

Superman III [1983] Critics = 26%  Audience = 24%

Superman IV: The Quest for Peace [1987] Critics = 9%  Audience = 16%

Superman Returns [2006]  Critics = 76%  Audience = 62%

Man of Steel [2013]  Critics = 56%  Audience = 77%

There's a clear discrepancy between what critics want out of Superman and what the audience wants. Snyder gives the people what they want.

"So, you're super fast."

"Right"

"And one of your two arch-enemies is a guy with the exact same power with the same costume, only the colors reversed."

"Yes."

"And the other one?"

"He's a gorilla."

"A gorilla?"

"Well, he's from a race of super-intelligent gorillas that live in a hidden city.  And he's telepathic."

"...."

So, once again, the best rogues gallery in all of comics:  The Motherfucking Flash.

• Like 1

Captain Cold is probably #2 for Flash arch enemies.  And you can kindly go fuck yourself if you don't think he's one of the best all-around characters, villain or not, in the DC universe. 

• Like 1

Captain Cold has always been my favorite villain, period.

But in-universe, the rogues are individually behind Zoom and Grodd.  It's only collectively that they step up to that top spot.

"So there's a guy that spins around?"

"Yes."

"And he's called the Top?"

"Yes."

"And he dates a woman who used to be a figure skater?"

"Yes."

"And her name is the Golden Glider?"

"Yes."

"And there's another guy ..."

"Please don't ask about the Rainbow Raider."

"I was going to ask how you pronounce Killg%re."

"Oh."

• Like 2

Finally saw Man of Steel.  Why did it have to be so blue-grey?  I was mostly fine with the movie other than the depressing and ugly color palette. 

Because GRITTY GRIMDARK.

The DP for Man of Steel has moved on to the Transformers franchise so Snyder brought back Larry Fong (300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch).

Here we go...again.

jglev__131216230719.jpg

EXCLUSIVE: Joseph Gordon-Levitt is finalizing a deal to produce Sandman at Warner Bros with David Goyer, who pitched his treatment for the Neil Gaiman comic book classic. It has been rumored that Gordon-Levitt might star, and the deal he’s making attaches him as the protagonist. I’m told that in addition to that, he’s eyeing the project as a directing vehicle. Gordon-Levitt made his feature directorial debut on the well received Sundance pic Don Jon, but this would be a considerable step up in scope and scale. They will hire a writer shortly.

www.deadline.com/2013/12/joseph-gordon-levitt-eyeing-sandman-as-director-star-producer-at-warner-bros/

From JGL's official Twitter

Ladies and gentlemen, I'm incredibly honored to be working with David Goyer, Warner Bros, and @neilhimself on SANDMAN. #Prelude

Wait...he's producing/directing/and maybe starring in this new Sandman pitch?

I like JGL more than most at this site, but that's a lot of opportunities to mess things up.

I'm down for a Sandman adaptation though. 

Edited by _MJ_

Wait...he's producing/directing/and maybe starring in this new Sandman pitch?

I like JGL more than most at this site, but that's a lot of opportunities to mess things up.

I'm down for Sandman adaptation though. 

I doubt he's directing it.

Joaquin Phoenix is rumored to be in talks for the role of the villain in the Totally Not Justice League movie, presumably Luthor.

Don't act like you're not interested to see what a Phoenix-as-Luthor performance would be.