DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

So, since the next DC film is gonna be World's Finest with Bats and Supes together, and Barry is getting introduced this season in Arrow, along with Arrow using all Batman's 2nd Tier/Lower 1st Tier villians, figured we do with DC what we did with Marvel.  

So, what are the real odds that Arrow starts getting used to introduce the secondary JLers?

I'm three episodes into Arrow and I have a hard time believing it's going to get as good as people say it is. The lead isn't very good. His lines suck and his performance isn't much better. Tries to be intimidating but he's not at all. And he looks like Chris O'Donnell so I think of Batman & Robin when I see him. His best friend is the biggest douche in the world, probably dreams of starring in a reality show. Wasn't Arrow's sister going to try cocaine? That seems like it should be a pretty big deal straight away but he just throws it into the garbage and that's it. They say she's 17 but she seems about 25. Why was he talking to his father's grave? Dude, you know he's not buried there. Nice of your dad to kill that guy and himself to give you a few days of extra food and leave you emotionally broken. 

Arrow's girlfriend asking if her sister died peacefully. She fucking drowned while a yacht was getting ripped apart, what do you think?

Her father is Trevor Phillips from GTA V.

That is a slight stretch considering the second season is only three episodes in. I also thought the second episode of S3 was on the weak side.

Anyways I like the show a decent bit. Its not great or anything, but its a perfectly watchable action show. The acting isn't strong, but it can be pretty fun when it embraces the comic book superhero side of things. S1's finale was particularly good fun. I only wish the show would take a little less from Batman in terms of characters and feel.

Ligerbusa, I know what you mean.  Especially early on, the show comes off bad.  Acting and dialogue are pretty awful.  But I stuck with it, and am glad I did.  It's not Breaking Bad, and really not even as good as Spartacus, but it gets to be decent.  For season 1, I'm not sure how much was improvement on the show's part and how much was diminished expectations on my part, but season 2 definitely seems to show some improvement in acting and dialogue.

That said, I'm not totally into season 2's plot arc so far.  The stuff on Flashback Island is way less interesting so far (though the way ep3 ended might make it better).  And they don't seem to have really dug into the Starling City stuff yet, though you can see where they're going. 

The use of Batman's 2nd Tier and low 1st Tier villians, along with having Huntress show up last season, and Barry showing up this season, makes me thing they're gonna end up using Bat-Family members to build up World's Finest.  

I'm thinking Flashback Island is all out building up a Season finale of Arrow vs. Deathstroke next season.  

I'm not sure about Canary being in the League.  

Yeah, but luckily Momma McQueen kinda fades away as time goes on. Unfortunately, so does Papa McLance. I wish they'd have more for him to do as I remember him as the awesome Big Bad from one of the good early seasons of 24.

I understand why people initially gave up on Arrow. The first 6-8 eps were definitely pretty rough. Once Merlyn/The Dark Archer shows up and they focus more on the Island with Fires and Slade, the show definitely gets awesome. The chintzy dialogue I chalk up to Guggenheim, who writes or co-writes the majority of the mythology eps and has a tendency to write lines that might work in a comic book but sound bad when spoken as dialogue. I'm only 2 eps into S2 but it seems like they've improved in that area.

And I dunno, I like Stephen Amell. It's not fair to compare him to the Bryan Cranstons or James Spaders of the world. When compared to most young actors I see on TV, I don't see where he's worse than somebody like Charlie Hunnam. He's definitely world's better than the block of wood they cast in SHIELD.

I'd like to see them take a more tactical oriented approach to the costume design. Given his origin story on the show I would think he would design a more military inspired costume. Although he's an amazing archer, it's not like he's a metahuman and can withstand gunfire. I'd add full sleeves and a sleek mask/helmet.

Posted Image

And I dunno, I like Stephen Amell. It's not fair to compare him to the Bryan Cranstons or James Spaders of the world. When compared to most young actors I see on TV, I don't see where he's worse than somebody like Charlie Hunnam. He's definitely world's better than the block of wood they cast in SHIELD.

I think you're nuts if you think the Arrow dude is even close to the actor Hunnam is. I'll agree on the Shield guy, he is brutal.

I'm gonna assume that anyone clicking on this thread has watched last night's Arrow but to be polite I'll use spoilers:

Arrow's been a lot better this season than it was last year IMO. I liked the reveal of who Canary is, and it looks like we're finally on the path of what makes Slade become Deathstroke. Plus the tease of Ra's al Gul. I can do without the whole "Laurel has a drinking/pill problem" storyline but I suppose they need something to do with her, and it least it de-railed the whole story of her hating Arrow.  Any idea who Blood is supposed to be?

Not a fan of the drinking angle with Laurel either, especially just after they finished the her hatred of the Hood. I'm sort of ok with the reveal of Canary though at the same time it annoys me a little that they didn't just properly grow Laurel into the role. I kind of feel sorry for whatever Black Canary fans there are watching this show. Sebastian Blood is Brother Blood, a Teen Titans villain who is currently a major villain in Animal Man in the New 52.

So El Mayimbe has a rumor up that Dick Grayson will be showing up as Nightwing in BATMAN/SUPERMAN. Apparently the movie is set after Bruce and Dick split up and he struck out on his own.

I'd like that to be true, even though that seems kinda tangential.