DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

Unescapably. It's like Hollywood has determined that audiences have some sort of Pavlovian response to that phrase. I bet every script in town gets a note back from the studio saying, "Need to have a character say a war is coming so we can put it in the trailer."

I almost feel like the ties to the Batman mythology are the least interesting aspects to Gotham. Course the Batman mythology is the thing that gets a show like this made and why it lasts on broadcast tv for more than one season. 

People bag on NBC, but it's gotta be work to greenlight this many shows that probably won't find a wide audience.

I almost feel like the ties to the Batman mythology are the least interesting aspects to Gotham. Course the Batman mythology is the thing that gets a show like this made and why it lasts on broadcast tv for more than one season. 

Yeah, trying to tie kiddy versions of various Bat characters together is almost a deal breaker for me.  It requires several million-to-one coincidences to put these characters in the same orbit, something that's never even be hinted at before.in comics or movies.  Like, the guy that will grow up to be Batman just happened to meet the kid who will one day become the Joker.  And they just happened to meet the guy who would become the Riddler.  And Catwoman.  And... on and on and on.

I realize it requires suspension of disbelief, but come on.  It's kinda like when Law and Order: Criminal Intent jumped the shark.  One day, the main character - Goren - just happened to encounter a serial killer who became interested in him and kept showing up to match wits with him.  Ok, i can buy that.  Then, the daughter of Goren's mentor was revelead to be an insane killer and tried to kill Eames.  Uh, ok.  Later, Goren's mentor was found to be an unbalanced murderer.   The odds of knowing three killers are a little unlikely.  Then, they retconned Goren's parentage and revealed that his father might have been (probably was) an infamous murderer.

At which point, I wondered how many serial killers one man could credibly know in his life and stopped watching.

Gotham's kinda like that.  There is suspension of disbelief and... whatever this is.

Yeah, the "Arch-Foe" is the downfall of any police procedural.

Bones is a dumb little show, inoffensive, but any episode with a mention of Durant gets immediately skipped.  Same with Seely's sniper enemy.

Yeah, the "Arch-Foe" is the downfall of any police procedural.

Bones is a dumb little show, inoffensive, but any episode with a mention of Durant gets immediately skipped.  Same with Seely's sniper enemy.

You mean, Pelant?  The computer genius who framed the main characters several times over and once - lol - coded a computer virus onto the bones of a skeletal corpse?  Yeah, he was awful.

Every recurring/ongoing opponent Bones has had turned out terribly.  I still enjoy how bad the cannibal killer wound up.  That was the season cut short by the writers strike.  The writers had a plan to lay the seeds for Zach - the socially backward, gently childlike genius lab assistant - to start acting out of character.  It would then be revealed that Zach was helping the cannibal killer, but that he was really suffering from PTSD.

Decent idea, but the writer's strike wiped out the episodes that would have laid the groundwork for Zach's heel turn.  So the writers hotshotted the angle and, with no build whatsoever, revealed that Zach was a dicsciple of the killer and had in fact killed and eaten someone.  With no build, it went over about as well as Barney the Dinosaur eating a kid at day camp.

(They later retconned the story to "Zach was helping the killer, but never himself killed or ate anyone).

Despite all of this, I've enjoyed Bones.  Not an outstanding show, but fun enough and there were several seasons where it was one of the best procedurals going.  Just sort of treading water the past year or two, though.  And they didn't really need to get picked up for season 10.

That's how much I blocked him out after the first couple of eps.

I think it's interesting that the shows greenlit show just how cautious the networks are becoming about venturing outside their safety zone

Fox - Gotham'll probably be a Bones-ish procedural

NBC - Constantine is a good match for Grimm

CW - iZombie trades on the Walking Dead and picking up another superhero Flash.

Actually Gotham would probably fit better at the king of procedurals - CBS

^I ... cannot ... stop ... watching ... O_o

Batgirl looks so goddamn HAPPY!

Is that the Batman from the serials? Is J. Carrol Naish the Red Hood then?

That's it, Damien; dance like you don't know what's coming ... :(

The new Batmobile? Zack Snyder tweeted this picture out

ZackSnyder @ZackSnyder

Could be time to pull the tarp...Tomorrow?

10286997_10152428846446788_2556356070292 

carlton-dance.gif

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. A middle ground between the Tumbler of the Nolan films and the stretched out sports cars of the earlier movies.

That's what I thought the new Batmobile would be post Christopher Nolan.

While I'm excited to see it...If I had a choice between this or the first photo of the Batsuit, I'd pick the Batsuit.

UPDATE: Gal Gadot (Wonder Woman):

Busy busy week... Let's have a WONDERful week everyone! xoxo

Could we potentially see the costumes this week as well?

Edited by The Natural