DVDVR Message Board

The DC Entertainment Thread

Raziel

But how do you do Grodd within the limitations of how the shows are run (I'm assuming Flash will be the same as Arrow)? They're trying to stay (as much as possible) away from superpowers, aliens, etc. How do you explain a super intelligent, telepathic gorilla with those restrictions? 

Just say "Timey Wimey" and hope the audience goes along with it.  Works for the British.

They abandoned the "no superpowers" rule this season, because they realized that people wanted comics shit in a comics show and not realism.  Its part of what's made Season 2 way better than 1.  That's how we got Barry in the first place, along with powered-up Deathstroke and Grundy(even if it has been super serum stuff).  

Pretty sure the no superpowers rule was only ever meant for the first season in the first place.

But how do you do Grodd within the limitations of how the shows are run (I'm assuming Flash will be the same as Arrow)? They're trying to stay (as much as possible) away from superpowers, aliens, etc. How do you explain a super intelligent, telepathic gorilla with those restrictions?

Just say "Timey Wimey" and hope the audience goes along with it.  Works for the British.

Do a reverse ultra humanite.

Gorilla puts super brain in body of a man (or woman)

Which...I actually feel like the advantage will go to Snyder's deal, honestly. Downey seems done with solo Iron Man movies and Man of Steel outdid basically every non-Iron Man, non-Avengers Marvel flick in theatrical gross (both domestic and worldwide). Throw in the Batman appeal and unless Marvel slots a surprise ace in there, I doubt they take that battle, regardless of quality.

I generally like Arrow, especially season 2.  But after this week, one thing is kind of bugging me:  who is Laurel Lance?  I mean, what's her character like?  She seems like blank slate.  Pretty much everybody else on the show has a pretty solid character.  Generally, they're basic stock characters, but hey -- it's a CW superhero show.  As long as you do fun stuff with them, stock characters are fine. 

Yet even though we've spent plenty of time with Laurel, I really have no sense of who she is.  (and often I'm not sure why she's even on the show.  This week she actually did something, which is what got me thinking about her)

They're trying really hard to make her interesting and they kind of just keep throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. I mean, her as the strong willed legal firm person was at least steady. This season she's all over the fucking place and in a handful of episodes, the actual Black Canary has a personality that is both clearer and more compelling. It's seriously at the point where I'm kind of okay if they don't use her as a stepping stone to getting Laurel in the costume.

Flash pilot is back on, and they just cast Jesse L. Martin as Iris West's father.  

And Arrow's got Deathstroke in the suit tonight.

And I'm not really digging Laurel, and am kinda hoping they keep Sarah as Canary going forward.  I know there's another League episode coming up with Nyssa showing up, so that might converge the Merlyn/Canary/League storylines with the Deathstroke/Blood lines.

And put Ollie in *way* over his head.

Yep, I totally agree about Laurel. Generally, Arrow has hit the jackpot, casting-wise, as even guys I thought I'd hate upon first impression (ie Tommy in S1 and the male model they hired to play Roy) have all eventually won me over. Laurel remains the one notable exception as she's not really bad just dreadfully dull, like the writers have no use for her.

It doesn't help that the blonde they hired to play Sarah/Canary is freakin' awesome. I don't know the network politics but I, too, have been holding out hope they keep Sarah as the Canary and just use Laurel as eventual storyline fodder ala Tommy.

Speaking of having no use for someone, what was the point of them bringing in Summer Glau? I get that showrunner Drew Greenberg is a Whedonite and likes to use his ex-boss's buddies (Gunn appeared in S1, Dr. Simon appeared last week) but unless they have some secret plans for her, she's contributed exactly bupkiss to this season. I mean, if there was any week for her to do something, it was last week if only to give us Browncoats a shout-out by reuniting the Tams.

Summer is playing Isabel Rochev, who in the Comics ends up being The Queen and eventually takes over Queen Industruies.  So she is playing an actual Arrow character, but she might not end up being a villian, at least not for a while (depending on where the Queen Industries Arc ends up).  

As for Summer being cast, yeah, its probably because Greenberg put the Tams back in the same show.

Another good episode this week.  Still don't get who Laurel is, but at least they're doing interesting stuff with her.  And some payoff to the addiction subplot which I'd pretty much forgotten about.

Kinda funny how the woman in the asylum was less crazy this week than last.

The "twist" (unmasking) was easy to see coming, but it takes the story in an interesting direction.  I'll take a predictable twist that makes sense and helps the story over an unpredictable one that screws everything up in the long term.

Surely they're going to wrap up the island flashbacks at the end of this season, right?  That device worked great for slowly rolling out his origin (and some other origins), but I think it's served its purpose.  They have enough going on in the present day that they can get rid of it.  I hope they don't kill off Ivo on the island, though.  It'd make sense to save him as the season 3 Big Bad.

It's been stated that the final flashback sequence will occur in the final episode with Ollie being rescued from the island. I imagine that this will be the last flashback season set solely on the island, as I imagine we'll get to watch Oliver travel the world training before returning to the island to be "rescued."

I figured the flashbacks would last till season 5, so far the first 2 seasons have had a year each on the island, and he's away for 5 years. Gotta get him off the island soon though right? i mean hes basically Batman after 5 years and hes not going to learn to fight and shoot like that running away from pirates and hunting rabbits for the next 3 years and occasionally sparing with Slade.

About tonight's Arrow:

I'm glad Oliver revealed himself to Roy.  It was getting tough to believe that Roy couldn't put things together.

Based on what they presented earlier, it's pretty bizarre to portray Moira as a plausible political candidate.  I'd rather that they put her former boyfriend up, and have Moira be a political consultant.  I mean, they've already set up Oliver as a public supporter of Blood, yet they didn't even mention that tonight.  Pretty weak.  And did Moira put a hit out on her OB/GYN at the end there?  Weird.

(That said, the weakest plot point has always been that teenage Thea owns a bar.  I always try to forget about that, but they shoved it in our faces tonight, and it's just so ridiculous.)

What was up with the dude who helped get Bronze Tiger out of jail?  I didn't get that part at all.

They haven't done much to advance the Merlyn storyline.  They involved his mansion and a prototype of the earthquake machine, but that doesn't have much to do with his current deal.

Anyway, weaker than usual episode tonight.  Unfortunate that this was the return of Bronze Tiger, but the end bit suggested they've got more in store for him.

Ollie techincally still owns the Bar, but really in name only.  Thea does everything else.  Moria hasn't talked to Ollie yet about her running, since he's pubicly supporting Blood, but Laurel raised enough flags that Ollie should be paying closer attention to him, regardless of the swerve a couple weeks ago.

Moria running might also be a push from Merlyn or Deathstroke, as both would have reasons to publicly set Moria up for a(nother) public downfall.  

Dude that got Bronze Tiger out was willing to set off the machine and kill himself rather than fail to deliever.  That could be a few established people running that (The League or Merlyn himself).  I'd also imagine that Merlyn might get progressed a bit next week, since we're getting Nyssa and more League stuff, and they revealed that Merlyn is connected to The League.

Waller recruiting Tiger to the Suicide Squad at the end might telegraph the ending of the season as far as Deathstroke is concerned.

I also didn't imagine Ollie telling Slade to think of his son back on Flashback Island, did I?

Regarding Moira, my main problems are that she went from being portrayed as the most hated person in the city to suddenly now having a 43% approval rating. (which, btw, is very different from having 43% of the people say they'd vote for you over the popular charismatic dude)  She just seems like the worst possible choice to run in an election.  And the other problem is that in her deliberations, nobody ever brought up the fact that Ollie is supporting Blood.  Seems like something that might come up.  It's yet another reason why she's a terrible candidate.  Will she be supported by her own son?  Even disregarding her trial, there's no way she could win if she can't even get her son's support, so they'd have to get Ollie on board for her to be viable.  I guess since she hasn't publicly announced, maybe they can cover that next week.

The dude I was talking about was the guy who brought Tiger his claws, ripping them out of his own body.  I didn't get his deal at all.

I didn't catch anything about Slade having a son.  I thought they were just talking about Shado.