DVDVR Message Board

UFC 250: Nunes vs. Spencer (6/6/2020) - Las Vegas, NV (UFC APEX)

Elsalvajeloco

That hand speed and power have always been out of this world, among the best. Hopefully he can hide his chin with a more measured approach. Would love to see Petr Yan and he fight, two of the best sets of hands in the sport.

Just now, Oyaji said:

That hand speed and power have always been out of this world, among the best. Hopefully he can hide his chin with a more measured approach. Would love to see Petr Yan and he fight, two of the best sets of hands in the sport.

I go back to this

I know Anik said he was still working with him BUT I don't know if his uncle is right for him as a striking coach. Is your uncle going to be honest with your about all your mistakes?

Just now, Oyaji said:

Cody's biggest problem is his brain not his chin.  He won the title with one of the best gameplans I've ever seen, then decided to fight 3 of the dumbest fights of all time.  When he fights with intelligence, he's really hard to deal with, but I don't know if i trust him to do that.

1 minute ago, Oyaji said:

This could be rough, man. Oh boy.

I got the same feeling...but man how fucking hilarious would it be to see Felicia's hand raised at the end of this? I'd be fucking ecstatic and I dig Nunes.

• Haha 1

Going from Jedrzejczyk/Weili to this... One feels like women's MMA has met or succeeded men's MMA in terms of skill and then there's this. You should not be fighting for a title if your best quality is your chin. Hopefully they can retire this division after Nunes gets the record for defending two belts. There just isn't the depth. It would suck for the few 145 lbs fighters they have but this just isn't good and the division needs to develop more before being in this kind of position.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Going from Jedrzejczyk/Weili to this... One feels like women's MMA has met or succeeded men's MMA in terms of skill and then there's this. You should not be fighting for a title if your best quality is your chin. Hopefully they can retire this division after Nunes gets the record for defending two belts. There just isn't the depth. It would suck for the few 145 lbs fighters they have but this just isn't good and the division needs to develop more before being in this kind of position.

Even with a Kayla Harrison...the Larissa Pacheco fight showed her standup is just not there yet. She is a 7 or 8 in terms of being a grappler but maybe a 5 or 6 at best in terms of striking. There is no one in PFL to push her to get better.

My biggest takeaway from tonight are those historically bad scorecards. If you scored that 50-45 Nunes you should not legally be allowed to sign up for Fight Pass, much less judge.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

I would be fucking furious if I were in Spencer's shoes. Completely demeaning. I know Nunes is trying to show respect but come on.

edit: Maybe I've been watching too much sports anime or some shit, but that is a no no in my head right now. Maybe I'm facked tho.

Edited by Oyaji

13 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

I would be fucking furious if I were in Spencer's shoes. Completely demeaning. I know Nunes is trying to show respect but come on.

edit: Maybe I've been watching too much sports anime or some shit, but that is a no no in my head right now. Maybe I'm facked tho.

Wait are we thinking that it is demeaning because of how ugly that belt looks?

Oh look Connor has retired again.   Yeah Dana is having a horrible 2 months

Edited by hammerva
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Hopefully they can retire this division after Nunes gets the record for defending two belts. There just isn't the depth. It would suck for the few 145 lbs fighters they have but this just isn't good and the division needs to develop more before being in this kind of position.

agreed. Nunes has beaten both former champs (Cyborg and de Randemie). Now she's beaten Spencer, who is a former Invicta FW champ and has herself beaten the other two women who have held that belt.
I mean, if we need a #1 WFW contender it pretty much has to be Megan Anderson, but that's just because there's literally nobody else. 

17 minutes ago, John E. Dynamite said:

My biggest takeaway from tonight are those historically bad scorecards. If you scored that 50-45 Nunes you should not legally be allowed to sign up for Fight Pass, much less judge.

agreed. i was genuinely curious what the cards would read after that main event. was disappointed in the result.