DVDVR Message Board

Raw is The Tears of a Clown - 6/1/2020

Dolfan in NYC

The Seth stuff with Rey was ok I guess. I was only half paying attention to Seth/Black. Neither are favorites and the match went a pinch long. What annoys me about everything going on with Seth right now is that its mostly good in terms of an idea. Seth just is not the guy to be able to really pull it off.

Rey's rebuttal interview later in the night was ok. Looks like we might be building toward Dominic finally debuting going off of his comments. The kid is not a great talker, but then again Rey has never been either.

Garza talking to Charly is always fun to see, and it was nice to see him not eat the pin in the tag match though it saddens me to see Andrade continue to fall.

Nia/Kairi was fun while it lasted. They seemed to avoid showing Kairi's face after she hit the steps so I assume that is where she was busted open. 

Charlotte/Asuka was unsurprisingly pretty damn good. Not sure where they rank as each other's best opponent but it has to be high at this point. Thought Nia's interruption and attack the end was ok.

32 minutes ago, Peck said:

The build to Charly vs. Zelina has been better than 90% of everything else on Raw.

I honestly think Raw has been decent the past month or so, and this still rings true.

• Like 1

Lana's totally gonna interfere and help Drew win, isn't she?  And then turn fully on Lashley and manage Drew, then help someone turn the tables on Drew after?  That should carry us through long for Summerslam, in order for her to help Lesnar win the title back off of Drew, right?!

BTW, what was up with that Viking-Profits bowling match?  Did they not have anyone there that could throw strikes?  Like, when the Prophets turned on the smoke and started dominating, they still were hitting most of the pins, but not actual strikes.  I think there was maybe one strike in the whole segment, which is especially silly because they went out of their way to edit the shots so that you almost never saw the actual throw any of the wrestlers made.  And they STILL couldn't edit in strikes?!  I wonder if anyone is enjoying these segments (Well maybe Vince...).  Once, it was moderately (un)funny and mostly inoffensive, but three straight weeks and they're still going, not any funnier, and in no danger of getting anyone more over.  And they had a 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' parody last week and couldn't figure out a 'Big Lebowski' or 'Kingpin' reference this week?!  Man, you don't realize how small the Raw roster has gotten with the lay-offs until you consider the Tag Division is Profits, Vikings, Cedric/Ricochet, Thorne and Vink and AOP (injured).  I guess that's why we're getting these segments, so they can draw the feud out for another couple months until they debut some teams or something.

I might get eviscerated for this...but I think Raw and Smackdown need authority figures.  Not "Evil promoter who wants to screw the top guys" authority figures, but Wiliam Regal-style, show up and make matches and tell Seth Rollins to stop taking out people's eyes kind of authority figures.

Austin Theory is on pace to change stables more times than Barry Darsow changed gimmicks.

Lots of fun, solid matches for a change. 

I was going to ding the KO / Crews -> KO & Crews vs. Angel / Andrade for ring psychology violations but shrugged it off.   I was puzzled as to why Apollo didn't immediately zero in on KO injured leg as quickly as the heels did, but (duh) he's a baby face so we'll just chalk that up to good sportsmanship on Apollo's part.

Maybe I am sentimental, but I'd have booked Kairi to win that match by DQ on Nia after walking out to the ring with Arigato, Hana-Chan written on her umbrella.  She needed her hand raised after that.  I about lost it.

Lana's betrayal of Bobby Lashey cannot come soon enough.

Edited by J.T.

Wound up catching the Nia vs Kairi match. I have no idea what the hell kind of sources Dave has that wouldn't think it was Nia's fault Kairi got hurt.

Also saw the bowling thing and thought this shit isn't for me.

Yeah, but at least those wrestlers aren't front and center on a nationally televised program each week. They're in developmental, which is also where Nia should be.

• Like 4