DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2020

46 minutes ago, Craig H said:

I haven't watched Dark in forever. Probably since they started loading up that show with a ton of matches. I just don't have that much interest in watching that many developmental matches.

Paradoxically, I didn't mind that about NXT when NXT was just an hour.

The shows being so long is one big thing I wish they would drop.  Nothing wrong with it being an hour and if it's less then that's fine too.  The only reasoning I can think of is they're dumping out the matches that were taped before they decided to go back to being live.  I would personally see them as evergreen type matches but I guess they don't see it that way.

10 hours ago, Peck said:

Is Justin Roberts the only AEW roster member not to return since the pandemic? 

Ironically enough, it was mentioned on F4W this afternoon that Roberts is returning tonight.

• Like 2

I very much look forward to the reaction of the Young Bucks when they are confronted by both Page/Omega and FTR. Page and Omega have a legit reason to be upset with them story wise because the Bucks keep calling themselves the best tag team in the world when they aren't the best tag team in their company as Page/Omega hold up their belts. Then FTR could chime in that forget best in the world, they aren't even the best team in their own faction. Then you cut to footage of the match at Revolution highlighting when Matt got pinned. FTR could go on to say that the Bucks haven't held the belts ever and that FTR will come in and do just that. If the Bucks come back with the fact that there have been lots of times when the best team didn't win the championship in sports and that it was just a fluke that they didn't win it would set up a lot of tension in the next few months. I mean if being the best don't mean being champion then what's the point of the title?

Edited by Shadow
  • Like 2

I like the idea but considering Stadium Stampede happened recently and Page/Omega are forming a stronger bond I don't know if I'd tease tension this soon.  Page was even celebrating with them at the end of the Stampede which is progress for him considering he'd always walk away.  With the way they've been playing the long game on stories I can see maybe in a couple months doing that if done right.  And since they seem to know what they're doing I imagine at that point it will work quite well.

When you have talent as over as Omega, Page, Cody, etc. I see absolutely no need whatsoever for a turn.  There seems to be a lot of talk about Cody in particular.  He's arguably the best babyface promo in the industry right now.  Turning him would be a disservice to the company bottom line and the natural flow they're riding along with.  So to Page or Omega.  A degree of tension is fine within the team.  It works well even, but a turn seems a bit hasty.  I love that AEW isn't trigger happy with turns.  I have to believe Page was on his way to becoming a heel when the leaving the Elite storyline started.  Instead, letting him be his turned up self he began to draw cheers and the company wisely ran with it.  The Baker switch was the kind of freshening up a turn can provide, and has obviously done a great service getting her over with the crowd.  All that said, I do see a couple of turns that could benefit the company.  Namely natural heel Joey Janela and the in-need of a fresh coat of paint SCU.  Janela really needs to be utilizing his mic skills and allowed to shine his shithead tendencies.  SCU, at least Kazarian and Daniels, are also so naturally heels.  Daniels is a lame babyface, and Daniels is an excellent heel.  I don't know enough about Scorp pre-AEW, but I think he'd benefit from a mean streak a heel turn might offer.  As is he's a talented performer who's just drifting.  As is the team.  I really wanna see him strike out as a singles and reach his potential.  And not having Daniels and Kazarian tagging feels like a disservice or misstep in the division.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I like the idea but considering Stadium Stampede happened recently and Page/Omega are forming a stronger bond I don't know if I'd tease tension this soon.  Page was even celebrating with them at the end of the Stampede which is progress for him considering he'd always walk away.  With the way they've been playing the long game on stories I can see maybe in a couple months doing that if done right.  And since they seem to know what they're doing I imagine at that point it will work quite well.

I thought it seemed pretty obvious that Hangman only stuck around for the celebration because he was holding Omega's lifeless body up. He still kept his distance and only appeared to care about his tag partner, and that's it.

You can tell Page still doesn't want to be around the Bucks when you watch any of the BTEs after Double Or Nothing. Especially on the June 1st episode, he clearly doesn't give a fuck about Matt's stupid skit at the beginning. Even the huddle with those two that had the Scurll cameo, he's rolling his eyes and looks a little annoyed and uncomfortable.

39 minutes ago, Casey said:

You can tell Page still doesn't want to be around the Bucks when you watch any of the BTEs after Double Or Nothing. Especially on the June 1st episode, he clearly doesn't give a fuck about Matt's stupid skit at the beginning. Even the huddle with those two that had the Scurll cameo, he's rolling his eyes and looks a little annoyed and uncomfortable.

I'll give you that but I guess in my mind him begrudgingly going with the huddle or being in the room during the Hardy stuff shows some level of progress.  It wasn't that long ago that he wouldn't dare want to be around him and even if it's just for Kenny's sake he'll do whatever.  I'm sure I'm reading way too much into this though but if so then it's adding that extra something to the story that I'm loving.

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

When you have talent as over as Omega, Page, Cody, etc. I see absolutely no need whatsoever for a turn.  There seems to be a lot of talk about Cody in particular.  He's arguably the best babyface promo in the industry right now.  Turning him would be a disservice to the company bottom line and the natural flow they're riding along with.  So to Page or Omega.  

Here's the thing: with Cody, Page, and Omega all as faces there's only room for one of them on top at a time. Right now it's Cody but how many people are out there decrying AEW's use of Kenny because he's in a tag team? And if you're banking on Page for a face run, how does he shoulder past Omega and Cody also jockying for that spot? There isn't a lot of space for three babyface singles wrestlers in one faction, not all on the same level like they are. Creative booking can keep them apart but eventually something has to give and turning one of those three might be the only way to do it.

49 minutes ago, Godfrey said:

Here's the thing: with Cody, Page, and Omega all as faces there's only room for one of them on top at a time. Right now it's Cody but how many people are out there decrying AEW's use of Kenny because he's in a tag team? And if you're banking on Page for a face run, how does he shoulder past Omega and Cody also jockying for that spot? There isn't a lot of space for three babyface singles wrestlers in one faction, not all on the same level like they are. Creative booking can keep them apart but eventually something has to give and turning one of those three might be the only way to do it.

I get what you're saying, but the modern wrestling climate allows for a lot more room to maneuver within the tradition of babyface/heel.  We saw Cody wrestle his first two defenses against babyfaces.  You could say he's working as somewhat of a tweener, and I think you'd be correct.  Hangman Page is also basically a tweener.  Omega feuded with Moxley last year with neither taking a position as a heel.  So too Omega/Page and the Bucks.  I don't decry Omega's spot right now - he's been great.  Could he be more focused on?  Absolutely.  Should he be featured more?  Yep.  But they aren't exactly racing against the clock.  I'm patient to see where this tag run goes.  You're right there is only one top spot, but I'd say that's Moxley's not Cody's, but then this company's done a pretty good job of not shoving anything down our throats.  Page and Omega are most certainly going to be having some matches after the tag run ends, but I see no real need for either to go heel.  Tho, when that time comes I'd be more than happy to see the Cleaner with his arrogant attitude emerge.  If one of the three goes heel that'd be fine, but turning one of them now still seems a bit hasty to me.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

Cody isn't going to be in The Elite for much longer though. I think the plan was always that the Nightmare Family would become a separate thing, with Cody being leader of his own faction, rather than a part of a leaderless one.

5 minutes ago, AxB said:

Cody isn't going to be in The Elite for much longer though. I think the plan was always that the Nightmare Family would become a separate thing, with Cody being leader of his own faction, rather than a part of a leaderless one.

Cody was asked about this in a press conference and he never saw himself as part of the Elite to begin with.  To him it's always been Kenny and the Bucks.  Then there's him and Adam who were more-or-less "Elite-adjacent"  So him starting the Nightmare Family name was done out of respect to the core Elite group and an effort to not lump himself into that.  Of course I'm sure many think he's part of it and considering how close he's been with them why wouldn't they.  But over time they have done a good job of fully separating himself from the group to focus on other things.  So when he eventually goes heel it shouldn't be that hard to touch on all this when he goes against one of them.  But that would also mean Brandi and Dustin would be part of it as well and I can't see them going heel because Cody is.

At first I was thinking the only detriment to Cody turning would be Dustin following suit, but then I thought Dustin doesn't need to turn and they can run back the Rhodes Bros match one last time with Dustin as the (gigantic) plucky underdog pitted against his backstabbing, underhanded, ruthless brother. I do feel like they'd need to rehab Dustin a bit for that to have any real weight like the first one did.

But, yeah, turn Cody. He's ready. He's a great face and can become one again in time but if anybody of the Elite-ish group is going to turn, it should be him.

Edit: BUT IF YOU DO THO, DO YOU REVISIT CODY/MJF FIRST BEFORE THE TURN?

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 1

So...the Inner Circle are LIJ, the Elite are Chaos, the Dark Order are a shitty Bullet Club, and the Nightmare Family are...Suzuki Gun? No. No, that doesn't work.

Well, to be fair, they still might. Death Triangle formed two weeks before the pandemic shut down the country, so the angle is basically on hold until Pentagon and PAC come back to the States (and if/when Fenix is healthy again). Pentagon was at the first Daily's Place, and hasn't been seen since then.

But certain people already think having three groups is too much, and then others want to classify the Nightmare Family as an official group as well for some reason.

If you add the Superbad Death Squad to Death Traingle, that means you've got two five man heel squadrons, to go along with the five man babyface faction. And strength in numbers is supposed to be the Dark Order's edge - speaking of which, when this last week when they had Brodie, Uno and Grayson, Silver and Reynolds and Alan V Angels* and Pres10 Vance out there, that was a strong looking group. If they do get Cabana, and maybe add another one or two of the guys who've been losing squashes lately, you'd have a situation where them brawling with any other faction would be credible, because unlike in the Creeper Era of the Dark Order, these are established wrestlers, not the basement dwellers Uno was recruiting.

* I rewatched the show with Angels vs Kenny yesterday. It wasn't actually that equal. It was more of a "resourceful but overmatched JTTS pushes himself to new levels of intensity in order to try and hang with the Ace... and loses clean, to a move that isn't even Kenny's finish". And from today's perspective, it actually works as long term storytelling. They weren't having Kenny fail to win in sub-five minutes because they were telling the story of "Has Kenny still got it?", but because they were establishing Angels as a potential future great who's not there yet, but could get there soon.

• Like 1

Please keep Sabian and Havoc away from Death Triangle. Personally, I like them as a trio and I think they work well together because they carry the same intensity in their work. Adding anyone who doesn't look like they're trying to end someone's career in every match would dilute that. Archer would fit the bill and Jake managing someone like Pac would also be very interesting but it wouldn't be much of a triangle and I want my Death Triangle t-shirt to still be relevant in addition to being cool as all get out.

• Like 4