DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2020

10 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

One would assume AEW is losing a lot of money on their TV tapings since they have no live gate or merchandise, yes? 

Reports are they actually made a tiny profit last month.   This wiped out their profits, but they're still breaking even.

On 6/4/2020 at 9:17 PM, matt925 said:

The instant he goes to wwe he’d be Luke Perry Jr and he’d probably be a preppy college kid even though that’s the opposite of his dads character (I guess, never really watched it). 

Yes, WWE is widely known for letting people use their famous fathers’ last names.

In reality they would acknowledge who his father was while still naming him Aldous Rockstone. (Although it would be hilarious if his NXT name was “Jungle” Jack Perry.)

On 6/5/2020 at 10:19 PM, Casey said:

I think Kris said it was never her dream to work for WWE. Or maybe it was, I can’t remember. She mentioned it during an interview with Alicia Atout.

There was that whole thing where Casey of Squared Circle Sirens leaked that she had signed with WWE, when either she hadn’t or was supposed to keep it quiet, that resulted in her not being signed.

Edited by JonnyLaw

Joining the Dark Order actually gets you wins now. Who knew?

When Taz was talking about why he doesn't like Suge D, he came out with "Everyone likes Pineapples, and everyone likes guys named Pete". I see what you did there, Taz. I see what you did there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AxB said:

Joining the Dark Order actually gets you wins now. Who knew?

I said Lee Johnson needs to join so he can finally get a win.

Enjoyable episode overall. I kinda was mad at the ref during the QT match cause 1) he was outside the ring longer then a ten count and b) that was a blatant outside interference in full view of the ref which he should have called for. I want one of these local talent guys to win a match!

Why don't you watch stuff that you enjoy? ?

edit: that wasn't meant to be hostile more I see you ripping on stuff a lot. Is there current day stuff you do enjoy?

Edited by Oyaji

I watched the entirety of Smackdown today and liked pretty much all of it. I watched the end of Taya/Grace on Impact tonight and liked it and will probably go back and watch the DVR. I'm enjoying every one of the MLW Pulp Fiction montages. I can be hit or miss on AEW but last week was good; I mean even though I'm critical I went out of my way through a broken feed during a storm, a broken DVR recording, and an infuriating streaming version that I had to sign up for just to see the whole thing. And not to "hate watch" it either. And as far as old stuff I went back and realized that I reviewed 20 separate matches and watched probably about ten more for Secret Santo, and liked almost everything. That's not counting all of the stuff I watch from the three or four other continuing match threads we got going right now and the stuff I watch that gets pimped on Segunda that I don't end up mentioning. 

I admit I can come off negative though, that's just my personality; if something sucks I don't mince words. I hope my humor comes out more than that most of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I tried to get through the Moxley match at the end but it was so boring and Taz was so loudmouthed that I just turned it off.

It went long but I saw it as Moxley knowing Taz and Cage were there so he was going to show off his submission game.  And I liked Taz on commentary as he was quick to point out good stuff Mox did while also saying how Cage will deal with that.  It told a good story that for an extended squash kept me interested.  Add to it that Robert Anthony faced him 10 years ago in CZW and they seem to be friends.  So that may have been why he was able to get a fair amount of offense in.  I can see why you didn't like it but I did.

As for the rest of the show I'm glad Angels got signed and is showing how being with Dark Order gets you to win.  The squashes were good but what I really love about Dark is the stories going on in that.  Avalon and Cutler as a pair of losers teaming up to try and win can take that in different directions.  They can either eventually win as a team by both pinning somebody or they can say screw it and finally face each other so somebody has a win.  Then there's the QT deal where he has the super hot (but a bit airheaded) girlfriend that is pulling a Yoko Ono and driving a wedge in Natural Nightmares.  They still reference B&B so it could either go right into QT turning heel and being a single act or it could lead to her getting him away from them only to set him up for a B&B attack.  It's a bit unpredictable to me and I love it.

• Like 1

Lots of the bigger local guys had that young WWE prospect look tonight.

Im happy Angels was moved into the Dark Order as he had really good showings against Kenny and Sammy and really stood out from the rest. It also sends a message to everyone that you can move up the ladder even if you’re right at the bottom of the food chain.

I'm pretty sure Evil Uno, Stu Grayson, Angelico, Jack Evans, Pentagon, PAC, Bea Priestly, Mel, Emi Sakura, Sadie Gibbs, Shanna and Yuka Sakazaki haven't appeared on AEW TV since the pandemic started (and haven't returned since restrictions were somewhat lifted). I don't think it's any coincidence that most of them are foreign talents dealing with their own countries' restrictions on travel and whatnot. And yeah, I'm including people like Emi and Yuka, because they're on the AEW.com roster page.

Justin is a weird one, since he's definitely still involved, since he's on BTE and did the announcing for the Stadium Stampede. Maybe he just doesn't feel comfortable being around large groups of people yet. 

Edited by Casey
  • Like 1

Uno, Grayson, PAC, and Pentagon are all sidelined due to travel.  That said, are there any other US performers?

1 hour ago, RunningFromAmerica said:

Dark's getting a bit crappy. I'm not saying extended squashes can't be interesting, but it feels played out right now.

It’s been ‘Getting crappy’ for longer than I can remember.  I do like the commitment to the stories outlined by @NikoBaltimore but I can’t say I’m quite hooked in on any of them.  Squashes as this board knows can be a lot of fun.  Extended squashes often don’t fit my idea of fun.  

I didn’t hate Omega working long with Angels, but Mox dragging it out with Anthony did not seem effective.  Nice to see Angels get a win, but not sure what legs being 5 has.

I like that they’re starting to add more promos in.  Roaming camera also seem to be utilized more and more in AEW, and I fear it’s not stopping.  I’d like to see some more promos for forthcoming Dynamite bouts on this show - would add a bit of a reason to watch.  

Lastly, dug Daniels-Kiss enough, but Sonny really oughta stop doing these incredibly weak split leg drops.  He needs help tightening up his entire offence to things that could actually breakdown an opponent.  I think there might be a good midcard act there if some improvements are made.  Daniels has been looking good and I’d like to see him get back into the scu tag picture.  And start transitioning to Scorpio as a singles.  I’d also love to see a heel turn for three of them.  They’re drifting lame baby faces right now.  

37 minutes ago, HarryArchieGus said:

Lastly, dug Daniels-Kiss enough, but Sonny really oughta stop doing these incredibly weak split leg drops.  He needs help tightening up his entire offence to things that could actually breakdown an opponent.  I think there might be a good midcard act there if some improvements are made.  Daniels has been looking good and I’d like to see him get back into the scu tag picture.  And start transitioning to Scorpio as a singles.  I’d also love to see a heel turn for three of them.  They’re drifting lame baby faces right now.  

Watching Sonny matches can be frustrating.  I'm a fan of his and wish that he would get a singles win once in awhile.  He's a step above Cuter and Avalon in win/loss records but since you already having the losers gimmick going on elsewhere it would be nice to grasp what the end goal is supposed to be with this.  I feel there's a big upside with him if he gets to be featured a bit more but all I ask for is at least one win even if it's a squash match.

Sonny has a unique personality that elevates him passed some of the lower level guys like you mentioned, but the effectiveness of his move set needs too much improvement for him to be scoring any major wins.  Yet.   In particular the splits into a leg drop is more of a heel type taunting move (like Jericho posing with one foot on his opponent) than an effective move.  I only point it out as it seems to be the Center of his offence.  He does a good job of selling, but until he can make a strong and impactful fired up comeback he’s gonna be an afterthought.  All said, I really do hope he finds a way to bring it all together as I think he’s a neat performer.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

The squashes were good but what I really love about Dark is the stories going on in that.  Avalon and Cutler as a pair of losers teaming up to try and win can take that in different directions.  They can either eventually win as a team by both pinning somebody or they can say screw it and finally face each other so somebody has a win.  Then there's the QT deal where he has the super hot (but a bit airheaded) girlfriend that is pulling a Yoko Ono and driving a wedge in Natural Nightmares.  They still reference B&B so it could either go right into QT turning heel and being a single act or it could lead to her getting him away from them only to set him up for a B&B attack.  It's a bit unpredictable to me and I love it.

2 hours ago, HarryArchieGus said:

It’s been ‘Getting crappy’ for longer than I can remember.  I do like the commitment to the stories outlined by @NikoBaltimore but I can’t say I’m quite hooked in on any of them.  Squashes as this board knows can be a lot of fun.  Extended squashes often don’t fit my idea of fun. 

I'm going to agree with Niko here. I'm also loving the fact that Dark is 1) letting lesser known or underutilized talent shine and 2) give them stories and/or something to do. I look forward the mini-stories that we've been given so far. My only complaint is that yes, they all are squash matches, but I've gotten to enjoy the local talent(s) so much I'm rooting for them week after week. Not that I don't like the main roster, I'm just enjoying all of the characters that have been presented to us.

• Like 1

Re: the Moxley match, to elaborate further, It just seemed like a match consisting of nothing but heatless chain wrestling to me. I watched the clip version of the CZW match and though I knew we weren't getting blood I expected some kind of fire between the two and there wasn't. Mox seemed to be going through the motions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Re: the Moxley match, to elaborate further, It just seemed like a match consisting of nothing but heatless chain wrestling to me. I watched the clip version of the CZW match and though I knew we weren't getting blood I expected some kind of fire between the two and there wasn't. Mox seemed to be going through the motions.

I didn't expect there to be that fire as Robert has only really been a job guy and nothing else.  When they didn't mention any of the CZW history it made it seem to me like Robert was hyping up something that just couldn't happen.  So that might be something that I would have a job guy on their show maybe hold off on doing.  But knowing their history I did expect Robert to get a bit more offense in so that didn't surprise me.

EDIT:  When I refer to Robert as a job guy I don't mean to degrade him considering he was in CZW.  I'm just referring to what he's been brought into the company to do.

Edited by NikoBaltimore
  • Like 1

I haven't watched Dark in forever. Probably since they started loading up that show with a ton of matches. I just don't have that much interest in watching that many developmental matches.

Paradoxically, I didn't mind that about NXT when NXT was just an hour.

I mostly skim Dark.  FFWD is a handy tool. I am generally concerned with limiting my amount of pro-wres intake.  I assume I get exhaustion with wrestling much quicker than most board members, and there's too little time already for all the movies I'm needing to see.

4 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I didn't expect there to be that fire as Robert has only really been a job guy and nothing else.  When they didn't mention any of the CZW history it made it seem to me like Robert was hyping up something that just couldn't happen.  So that might be something that I would have a job guy on their show maybe hold off on doing.  But knowing their history I did expect Robert to get a bit more offense in so that didn't surprise me.

EDIT:  When I refer to Robert as a job guy I don't mean to degrade him considering he was in CZW.  I'm just referring to what he's been brought into the company to do.

Most of these guys come from promotions where they have a bit of shine.  Ultimately, they are job guys.  Enhancement talent sounds a bit nicer I suppose.  

I had no idea of the earlier Anthony-Moxley encounter.  I wonder why they chose not to discuss the history of Moxley and Robert Anthony.  If they're hesitant to say the name CZW, considering all the negative press around their Women's PPV titles, I get that, but they wouldn't really need to say anything more than they feuded 'on the indies'.  Going back, it would have been great if they gave Robert Anthony a chance to cut a promo on their social media hyping the bout.  Or even during the Dark show.  Not unlike how Pineapple Pete got a chance to cut a promo on Jericho prior to their bout.

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 1