DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2020

Hahahaha i literally don't but since random speculation and fantasy booking gets treated like confirmed reports around here I figured if we really add up all those "known" signings that were never confirmed by AEW then we have a bloated roster.?

Punk after all, joined aew at their debut ppv in Chicago, going by the "known" signings in this folder, even though he has yet to appear on tv or any other event other than that one Starrcast. Sting was another "recent" signing, Okada was "another recent" signing just before DoN. Gallows and Anderson and a bunch of WWE releases were all "known" to be coming in, even Gulak who somehow worked the front office and is still working for WWE, they're all "known" to be on a contract with AEW. That "adds up" to a stacked but bloated roster. Would they have room to fit in Adam Cole with all these guys that already signed up and have yet to debut?

The roster probably is already a bit bloated. The site lists an active permanent roster of around 55 men / 18 women for .. 2 hours of TV a week? And that excludes managers (Tazz, Jake, Arn etc). Could easily reduce that by 30% and still have depth — there will be a lot of names lost in the shuffle at this point once normal business resumes. The roster is probably bigger than  late 90s WWF when they had both Raw and Smackdown weekly.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Punk after all, joined aew at their debut ppv in Chicago, going by the "known" signings in this folder, even though he has yet to appear on tv or any other event other than that one Starrcast. Sting was another "recent" signing, Okada was "another recent" signing just before DoN. Gallows and Anderson and a bunch of WWE releases were all "known" to be coming in, even Gulak who somehow worked the front office and is still working for WWE, they're all "known" to be on a contract with AEW. That "adds up" to a stacked but bloated roster. Would they have room to fit in Adam Cole with all these guys that already signed up and have yet to debut?

I kinda remember everybody having a laugh at the Shadowy reporting of CM Punk to AEW, but certainly there was belief in a possibility.  Sting was a recent signing?  I'm pretty certain there were board members commenting on the possibility of a Sting signing.  I don't recall reading anybody stating a fact of a signing.  Same too Drew Gulak -  I could be mistaken, but I don't remember anybody claiming an 'inside scoop'.  This is a wrestling discussion board focused on AEW - not sure why you wouldn't expect some discussion of possible additions.  

Re: bloated roster.  It certainly doesn't feel bloated when you consider the positioning of talent.  The expendable talent or guys not in main storylines serve a purpose as competitive enhancement talent.  All of whom, regardless of win-loss, have an opportunity to get over by performance.  That said, it could certainly get bloated with all the potential signings.  

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Thanks 1

I expect discussion, certainly ?

People taking random speculation as facts seems to be a dvdvr thing which makes for fun reading. The heated arguments make my lunch go faster when theres pages and pages and pages on something that is pure speculation and yet seeing it talked up as fact.. hmmmm it's the funniest part of the work week skimming them. It's one thing in the What If thread, but it being all over the forum just cracks a smile.

Someone commented that I wasn't in on the joke, hence my comment about the bloated roster. If we treat fantasy booking as fact, then I should jump in and take the fantasy booking as fact too, for laughs. Cole might be coming in, oh but wait, theres this flood of recent signings like Okada as recently as weeks ago. Just where will they fit Cole in the company with so much bloat eating up the producers time???

Now to Lance Storm a bit---?

I don't feel it's bloated at all, they did a pretty good job of bringing in different guys most weeks before the lockdowns and understandably had a limited roster based on region during the lockdown tapings. But I don't find it bloated, not literally. I look forward to the upcoming show they'd landed a contract for, I'd love to see the talent get more tv time and the production crew get more experienced as they get closer to Year One in the books. Take Dynamite, Dark, and whatever the new show for TNT will be. That's plenty of airtime for the roster top to bottom and I'd sincerely believe that theres a few more spots open, but that's just my feeling. I understand if someone feels they're not featuring enough of who they have now, and I wouldn't argue that. 

6 hours ago, Hayabusa said:

Hahahaha i literally don't but since random speculation and fantasy booking gets treated like confirmed reports around here I figured if we really add up all those "known" signings that were never confirmed by AEW then we have a bloated roster.?

The only person I see taking random speculation and fantasy booking (which are pillars of online wrestling talk) and making things literal is you.

Maybe you're new to this...people read or hear stuff and we discuss those things here. Not every rumor pans out. To keep a checklist of "things that were speculated on a message board that didn't happen" is kinda weird lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Gotcha, this is the no fun zone. ? first I'm not in on the joke and now I can't play along with the joke I wasn't in on in the first place. 

I'm weird for "having a checklist" but you dropping in to say I'm taking things literal when I've highlighted that I'm not taking it literally a few times, well yeah you're not weird. Nope. I am. Glad to clear that up.

8 hours ago, Tim Evans said:

With Moxley wrestling on  AEW Dark this week, Is Jericho the only guy that has never worked Dark? I've never seen a episode so don't know.

That's so weird that you ask that, because just 7 hours ago someone on Reddit did a deep dive into Dark statistics. The answer to your question is - Brian Cage, Brodie Lee, Chris Jericho, #FTR, Hangman Page, Lance Archer, Matt Hardy and MJF.

Brandi Rhodes is the only woman on the roster to not wrestle a match on Dark (yet).

I am amazed that this board has an entire thread devoted to WCW C-show memories, but so many people don't see the value in Shawn Spears. They may have tried to push him too high up the card out of the gate, but I think he's one of the MVPs of Dark. I'm also invested in the Peter Avalon/Brandon Cutler "Worst of AEW" feud.

• Like 4

They have really put a lot of thought into the jobber feud. It's really neat and that's the kind of stuff that'll have me tune in over stars carrying job guys too long or too short depending on your stance.

Id like to see Cornette brought in to manage FTR during the Bucks feud.

He can go away to his shitty podcast after that, but I think there's a lot more in FTR being brought in as the Midnights to the Bucks' RnR than the ongoing Tully and Arn comparisons.

Admittedly, we're probably full for managers at the moment, but I think him coming in and stirring up the supposed real life heat would be fun.

....and him taking a Meltzer Driver.

6 minutes ago, RolandTHTG said:

Id like to see Cornette brought in to manage FTR during the Bucks feud.

He can go away to his shitty podcast after that, but I think there's a lot more in FTR being brought in as the Midnights to the Bucks' RnR than the ongoing Tully and Arn comparisons.

Admittedly, we're probably full for managers at the moment, but I think him coming in and stirring up the supposed real life heat would be fun.

....and him taking a Meltzer Driver.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 1:12 PM, AxB said:

Avalon & Culter vs Jurassic Express is one thing. But Sonny Kiss vs Christopher Daniels is your actual "I don't know who's going to win this match" match.

In case someone hasn't heard, "5" is Alan Angels 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 10:49 PM, Hayabusa said:

Would there be room on their bloated roster, what with Okada, and all these other agents they picked up that they havent confirmed yet, on his way in? I'm sure he eats up a significant chunk of change, would there be anything left for Cole??

I do expect Okada to end up in AEW one day.  He's friends with the Bucks, likes the US, and eventually he'll be pushed down the card in NJPW.  It won't be for 5-10 years though.

We can get slow-motion Okada-Omega at 2028 Double or Nothing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, alstein said:

I do expect Okada to end up in AEW one day.  He's friends with the Bucks, likes the US, and eventually he'll be pushed down the card in NJPW.  It won't be for 5-10 years though.

We can get slow-motion Okada-Omega at 2028 Double or Nothing.

I'd be on board for that slow motion style absolutely, Ebessan is the first I remember bringing that style around (before Great Khali made a mockery of it ??) and it always cracked me and my cousins up. I'm sure someone else was the first to actually do it but our first exposure to sloth style was the great Ebessan 

• Like 2