DVDVR Message Board

AEW - JUN 2020

I'm not saying they should have a dojo, all be very similar,  or shave their heads, though I think limiting their movesets would be nice.  I'm saying the whole excursion/re-gimmicking concept would be a good way to use their best enhancement talent.

Also the folks with really strong characters should just start getting the occasional win and move up slowly.  There's no reason why Sammy Guevara as part of his rehabilitation ccouldn't be used to give say, Pineapple Pete an upset win, and have Pete get the occasional win here and there against the low carders every now and then and consistently beat the other jobbers until he's at least a JTTS.

Edited by alstein

I don't like to publicly fantasy book more than once every 90 days, so here's my only pitch - Moxley/Cage isn't happening. You need a title match at the end of the July 8th Dynamite, or more specifically a challenger for Brian Cage. There are not nearly enough credible main-event babyfaces to draw from - Cody's a no for a million reasons, Jungle Boy isn't credible enough at this point in time,  Darby Allin would have made sense but he might be verboten, the Top 5 rankings are literally all heel. Your only choices are having either Kenny or Page pull double-duty (something I'm sure either is happy to do) and put over Cage for an Interim Championship - if you want to advance the conflict amongst Page and the rest of The Elite, this is probably a good opportunity to do so. You then have Brian Cage, managed by Taz, goddamnit, holding what he can claim is the "real" World's Championship. You can have Taz cut top-shelf promos about and Cage kill people over that belt until Mox is back, likely after having fucking COVID and  providing you with some of the best circumstantial babyface momentum history will ever provide. A monster main event if and when it happens.

The only downside I can think of is that the Fucking Machine World Championship bumps against some acronym infringement.

Edited by John E. Dynamite

I think AEW (and WWE) might have bigger problems than a scheduled match not taking place.

Several states are requiring people to do mandatory 2 week quarantines if they’re flying in from high-risk states. Florida is one of those.

For instance - if Santana, Ortiz, Private Party and MJF go back to New York after the Fyter Fest tapings: 2 week quarantine. And that’s just New York.

Alvarez said on the boards that if AEW has to cease live episodes AND tapings, then forget about it - they’re done, likely going out of business.

6 minutes ago, Casey said:

I think AEW (and WWE) might have bigger problems than a scheduled match not taking place.

Several states are requiring people to do mandatory 2 week quarantines if they’re flying in from high-risk states. Florida is one of those.

For instance - if Santana, Ortiz, Private Party and MJF go back to New York after the Fyter Fest tapings: 2 week quarantine. And that’s just New York.

Alvarez said on the boards that if AEW has to cease live episodes AND tapings, then forget about it - they’re done, likely going out of business.

Then I wound expect those Fyter Fest tapings to also include at least a month's worth of programming as a backup, as well as an immediate effort to find taping locations in lower-risk states. And an acceptance that airing Dynamite matches from multiple locations, as great as a compromise as it would be, far outweighs the other option.

It's cynical to wonder this, but considering the importance of counter-programming - what's the bigger issue for NXT? The upside of the majority of their roster residing in Florida, or the fact that a bunch of their staff has COVID?

Edited by John E. Dynamite

28 minutes ago, Casey said:

The last part seems like hyperbole. I can't imagine them giving up after all of the startup money this project must've cost. 

• Like 1

The reasoning behind that was that AEW can’t afford to just shut down and TNT won’t pay them if they aren’t running shows and they shut down until this is over. Then AEW really does become just a t-shirt company and they can’t survive off that either.

I’m pretty sure it was reported they’re running at a loss right now due to no live gates and whatnot, and then add to the fact that while the Khans might be billionaires, their other two sports franchises have been dormant all year so far as well, not making money beyond maybe Kerch sales (and still having to pay everyone involved).

1 hour ago, Raziel said:

Shahid donates big money to Bunkerbitch, just get the roster classified as "non-civillans" and they're set.

He's made a single donation to the inauguration, along with a bunch of other NFL owners, that some people love to point out, but no one makes mention of how Shad Khan has called Trump a divider, spoken out about his social policies, knelt with his players, spoken out against racism, etc. Who gives a shit. Plenty of others who made a donation or donations to Trump likely have regretted doing so in the past 4 years.

• Like 2

https://www.opensecrets.org/search?order=desc&q=shahid+khan&sort=D&type=donors

If you go through his donations, he donates to Democrats way more often than Republicans. The last donation he made to a Republican was in 2017 and the majority of his Republican donations were in 2012.

Granted these are his personal donations, not ones he's done through organizations (or any he's done anonymously), so his donation to Trump's Inauguration is not listed. At $1M though, it is much much higher than any of his personal donations, which are usually no more than a couple thousand dollars. Interestingly, his largest personal donations are also to Republicans, $17 100 and $30 800 respectively.

My guess is that he's generally sympathetic to Democratic causes, but as a billionaire he knows where his bread is buttered.

E: Hilariously if you go through Trump's donations, he made multiple donations to both Chuck Schumer and Hillary Clinton. It makes sense as a New York resident trying to grease wheels, but still funny under current circumstances.

Edited by elizium
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Casey said:

I suspect that law will be flouted.  They'd have to run into cops who knew they came from out of state.  The odds of them running in the law who happens to be a big wrestling and not just WWE fan is pretty big.  Even if they're cited it's just a fine Tony would probably pay.

Edited by alstein

Only seven matches on Dark next week. But Avalon & Cutler vs the Young Bucks just doesn't seem fair, somehow.

9 hours ago, alstein said:

I suspect that law will be flouted.  They'd have to run into cops who knew they came from out of state.  The odds of them running in the law who happens to be a big wrestling and not just WWE fan is pretty big.  Even if they're cited it's just a fine Tony would probably pay.

WWE is skirting around this by having the talent that live in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut drive to Philadelphia and fly in and out from there.

It's ignorant as fuck and pretty destructive, but whatever. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AxB said:

Only seven matches on Dark next week. But Avalon & Cutler vs the Young Bucks just doesn't seem fair, somehow.

Pineapple Pete was 35 years old.

And seriously, can we just do the damn Cutler vs Avalon match already? And have it end in a draw. 

3 minutes ago, Casey said:

WWE is skirting around this by having the talent that live in New York, New Jersey or Connecticut drive to Philadelphia and fly in and out from there.

It's ignorant as fuck and pretty destructive, but whatever. 

That is some classic chicanery.  

edit: I shouldn't laugh, as people are dying, but holy fuck. The lengths these people go to. I can see AEW doing it if it means their survival and they'll be just as shitty if they do.

Edited by Oyaji
  • Like 2

At least AEW is giving a realistic attempt to test, even if some of the wrestlers themselves seem to be trying to get infected by taking indy bookings with crowds.

Tony Khan should be able to put a stop to that, hopefully he does.

2 hours ago, alstein said:

At least AEW is giving a realistic attempt to test, even if some of the wrestlers themselves seem to be trying to get infected by taking indy bookings with crowds.

Tony Khan should be able to put a stop to that, hopefully he does.

Aren’t most AEW contracts for non-front office types still independent contractor deals?